Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Black/Death Metal Deaths

Re: Black/Death Metal Deaths
January 15, 2011, 12:15:43 AM
I think of the two big black metal deaths as kind of an inverted form of the Christ story.  People have a spiritual fetish for martyrs; this might be because of the inescapable Judeo-Christian framework of our world, or perhaps it is the desire for real heroes who can't be criticized for being "false."  Dying (or killing in the case of Varg) for something you believe in gives it validity and made the ideas of both Christ and the black metal bands much more real, and also provided a myth in which to embed the ideas.  Unlike Christ though, these deaths were done BY the musicians, instead of TO the musicians, which makes it almost a blasphemous retelling of the Christ story.  While the music is not directly connected with the deaths, the extremism certainly played a role, and I think we can all agree that black metal would not exist in the way it does without those necessary sacrifices.  Although, there is another way to look at it.  Perhaps these young men act more as sacrifices than martyrs, sort of a combination of pagan ritual sacrifice and Christian-style historical mythmaking.

January 15, 2011, 12:42:34 PM
I think of the two big black metal deaths as kind of an inverted form of the Christ story.  People have a spiritual fetish for martyrs; this might be because of the inescapable Judeo-Christian framework of our world, or perhaps it is the desire for real heroes who can't be criticized for being "false."  Dying (or killing in the case of Varg) for something you believe in gives it validity and made the ideas of both Christ and the black metal bands much more real, and also provided a myth in which to embed the ideas.  Unlike Christ though, these deaths were done BY the musicians, instead of TO the musicians, which makes it almost a blasphemous retelling of the Christ story.  While the music is not directly connected with the deaths, the extremism certainly played a role, and I think we can all agree that black metal would not exist in the way it does without those necessary sacrifices.  Although, there is another way to look at it.  Perhaps these young men act more as sacrifices than martyrs, sort of a combination of pagan ritual sacrifice and Christian-style historical mythmaking.

I agree that the death of Euronymous can be interpreted as elevating black metal towards religious status. I don't agree that only christianity has its martyrs though, doesn't every religion have its martyrs? Except Jesus died being a sissy, oh well.

In the proposed "semi-christian" definition the murder of Euronymous would have created two followings: the group that followed the christ (Euronymous) and the group that followed the judas (Varg) The are some valid comparisons to be made but I think ultimately this would still be like comparing apples with oranges. There's no real religious experience reading about a guitarist being murdered or a church being burned, it's just sensation. And I think it's simply appealing to youngsters who just come from a world filled with positive role-models to hear about their new idols violating any kind social taboos whether they are violence, crime, sexual promiscuity or antisocial ideologies. And yes this fuels their passion and dedication to the music - until they start having to pay rent.

Admiring people just because they died is stupid of course. Everybody can die and eventually everybody does. I think that's where the bigger religious issue hides: people admire the dead simply because they entered "the afterlife" and that's where everybody (including them) goes. So it boils down to the serfs denial of his own mortality which is of course what most (if not all) religions are based on. But this does not only apply to black metal, it applies to how humans treat death in general.

We should admire their lives instead, and if there's not much to admire about their lives then why even care about their deaths?

January 21, 2011, 11:33:35 AM
Br00tal:

Musicians killed in Mexico after refusing to play more songs for audience

Two members of local group La Excelencia were murdered in a Guadalajara bar early Monday morning after refusing to play more songs past closing time, El Occidental of Mexico reported.

Jonathan Martinez, 22, and Gustavo Alejandro, 35, were pronounced dead outside the Vida Divina nightclub, gunned down by unidentified assailants with suspected ties to the country's notorious drug gangs.

A third victim, identified as bar patron Leslie Soltero, 26, was taken to a local hospital with a gunshot wound to her ankle.

When La Excelencia's performance came to an end around 4 a.m. local time, four reportedly intoxicated and aggressive audience members demanded the musicians continue playing. Sensing trouble, the group extended its set by two songs, but was eventually forced to pull the plug by the bar's owner, according to El Occidental.

Out of nowhere, one of the instigators threw a grenade at the stage. The explosion injured one person and had panicked customers running for the exits.

Martinez and Alejandro were among those who fled the bar, but they were met at the front door by a hail of bullets, presumably from the same four men who had harassed them earlier.

By the time police arrived at the scene, the killers had already escaped by car. No witnesses were able to identify the getaway vehicle.

Source

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivmxusZTVLc

January 21, 2011, 11:34:04 AM
Br00tal:

Musicians killed in Mexico after refusing to play more songs for audience

Two members of local group La Excelencia were murdered in a Guadalajara bar early Monday morning after refusing to play more songs past closing time, El Occidental of Mexico reported.

Jonathan Martinez, 22, and Gustavo Alejandro, 35, were pronounced dead outside the Vida Divina nightclub, gunned down by unidentified assailants with suspected ties to the country's notorious drug gangs.

A third victim, identified as bar patron Leslie Soltero, 26, was taken to a local hospital with a gunshot wound to her ankle.

When La Excelencia's performance came to an end around 4 a.m. local time, four reportedly intoxicated and aggressive audience members demanded the musicians continue playing. Sensing trouble, the group extended its set by two songs, but was eventually forced to pull the plug by the bar's owner, according to El Occidental.

Out of nowhere, one of the instigators threw a grenade at the stage. The explosion injured one person and had panicked customers running for the exits.

Martinez and Alejandro were among those who fled the bar, but they were met at the front door by a hail of bullets, presumably from the same four men who had harassed them earlier.

By the time police arrived at the scene, the killers had already escaped by car. No witnesses were able to identify the getaway vehicle.

Source

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivmxusZTVLc