Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Atheist

Atheist
January 02, 2011, 01:29:21 AM
Ah..yes, Atheist - A wonderful oldschool technical death metal band, and my favourite band of all time. They've released three albums:
1.Piece Of Time
2.Unquestionable Presence
3.Elements

And I adore all three releases. All three of them are so unique and so diverse. The common aspect is probably the technicality that surrounds all three albums. I can never pick a favourite album if I was asked to, but I hold UP a tad higher in technicality than the other two, and I slightly fancy PoT, because it was the first Atheist album I heard.

Your thoughts?

Re: Atheist
January 07, 2011, 02:28:42 PM
there is a certain quality to PoT that draws me back and it's not quiet there on their other work.

PoT isn't artificed; it's them just making what they want to, without a clue as to how to manipulate other human beings into liking it.

Unquestionable Presence shows better songwriting, but less raw passion, more like mood pieces.

Elements and Jupiter are random garbage thrown together to impress 118-120 IQ point teenagers.

January 08, 2011, 12:27:08 PM
Here's a video posted way back in 2010 that features a good look at bassist Roger Patterson.  Skip to 00:55 if you're impatient:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCcC3AQgKOQ&feature=related

Enjoy!

January 08, 2011, 04:55:58 PM
Elements and Jupiter are random garbage thrown together to impress 118-120 IQ point teenagers.

I actually think what I've heard so far from Jupiter is a huge improvement over Elements.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

January 09, 2011, 01:47:59 AM
I don't really have anything insightful to add except that when I first heard Atheist, I thought they were fucking terrible.  The album, of course, was Elements.

Thankfully I found this snobby ass site and I was corrected regarding the proper Atheist listening procedures.

January 12, 2011, 11:52:33 AM
I like some of the bass work on the First album. I never got around to listening to the second and just stopped listening to them altogether. Im not a big fan of  "technical" death metal.

January 14, 2011, 12:45:00 PM
Im not a big fan of  "technical" death metal.

This is a term that's been thrown around quite liberally AFTER Atheist had already perfected the genre without intentionally setting out to do so. Bands that mock Cryptopsy and Suffocation love to add this to there biography.....
I will slash and burn and salt the earth so that nothing will grow.

January 16, 2011, 01:22:10 PM

I actually think what I've heard so far from Jupiter is a huge improvement over Elements.

I agree, but still nowhere near the first two albums, and without any real content, so no point keeping it around.