Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Gorguts

Gorguts
January 02, 2011, 01:36:36 AM
I´m sure there are some fans of Gorguts here. I simply love "Obscura" which is among my favourite albums at the moment. I don´t care that much about their other albums, although I have listened to "Erosion of Sanity" and "From Wisdom to Hate" and I quite like them, also. But "Obscura" is definitely a masterpiece and IMO most of other metal albums pale in comparison.

Re: GORGUTS
January 02, 2011, 01:57:45 AM
Erosion of Sanity is a good album to recommend to anyone new to the genre -- that is, if the individual is genuinely interested in delving into it.  Conversely, Obscura is going to have a niche base.  Thanks to my affinity for it, it has been over-played.  However, I do come back to it from time to time, as it is a personal favorite of mine.  For someone who has not listened to metal at all, I would say that From Wisdom to Hate has a few songs that are fitting trial runs.

Re: Gorguts
January 02, 2011, 06:39:58 AM
Obscura is the pinnacle of death metal;  too bad it wasn't influential at all, it was the exact thing metal needed to evolve further but everybody else wanted to copy Cannibal Corpse or add in keyboards and female vocalists.

Something heavily influenced by Obscura with Nocturnus-styled keyboards would be pretty dope, though.

January 03, 2011, 02:53:55 AM
Erosion Of Sanity was an utterly amazing album. I loved the use of acoustics on it. Death Metal needed to be more experimental back in the early 90's and The Erosion Of Sanity is a great example.

January 04, 2011, 09:21:11 AM
I´m sure there are some fans of Gorguts here. I simply love "Obscura" which is among my favourite albums at the moment. I don´t care that much about their other albums, although I have listened to "Erosion of Sanity" and "From Wisdom to Hate" and I quite like them, also. But "Obscura" is definitely a masterpiece and IMO most of other metal albums pale in comparison.
Have you listened to the band "Obscura"? Pretty amazing stuff, not quite Gorguts, but amazing in it's own right.

January 05, 2011, 07:21:29 AM
Yes this is amazing album, i am a big fan of drummer Hannes Grossmann.And waiting for Steffen Kummerer 's next album release.

January 05, 2011, 06:07:05 PM
Have you listened to the band "Obscura"? Pretty amazing stuff, not quite Gorguts, but amazing in it's own right.

The only good part of Obscura (the band) is the very competent bass playing, the music itself is direction less. No surprise there as its a reminiscent of Necrophagist.

August 31, 2013, 02:33:53 AM
Colored Sands finally arrived in the mail today.

It's a great performance, though the Dysrhythmia/Behold the Arctopus influences do come off a bit strong at times. The songs structures are much more flowing and less repetitive than the other Gorguts albums.

This blows away the turd that was Negativa and the mediocre From Wisdom to Hate.

Give these guys your money. They deserve it.

August 31, 2013, 12:46:34 PM
:( I want to believe...

August 31, 2013, 01:27:15 PM
Obscura was actually the first death metal album I got into. It was hard to get into more traditional dm after that, but it opened my mind to what could be done in the context of metal. That album sits on a throne in Valhalla, no matter what Colored Sands turns out to be. I have heard a couple of songs and I'm glad Luc is all about that slithery, slimy, molten-steel sound again.

August 31, 2013, 02:52:27 PM
:( I want to believe...

The full album is still up for free legal streaming if you want to preview it:

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=95157

It's worth buying, though. MP3's don't do this album justice. The music is very layered.

August 31, 2013, 07:12:48 PM
Erosion of Sanity sounds awesome on paper: NY influenced death metal in but infused with a more refined sense of melody and a different take on groove riffs. Despite this I can't get into the album, even though I've been trying to for over 4 years.

Gorguts - Colored Sands
September 04, 2013, 01:48:17 AM

You can imagine a group of guys sitting in a room thinking, “How do we make a death metal album edgy?” For starters, they throw in the list of techniques I mentioned. But then they use very similar rhythms, song structures, riff types and even sequence of chord voicings.

We could call this “the Pink Frothy AIDS effect”: for an instant audience, make music that sounds difficult but in fact is moron-simple and predictable, because it allows people to pose at being elite.

http://www.deathmetal.org/news/gorguts-colored-sands/

poo

September 04, 2013, 08:38:18 PM
The lyrics are embarassing. They read and sound like a parody of the profound:

Onward to reach the wheel of time
A path of solitude
Embraced humbly
Hands, face and knees against the ground

Prostrations for existence to come
Winds of perpetuity
Through sails of vacuity
Shores of enlightenment
Are wished and found

Sand Mandala
of the enlightened mind
Sand Mandala
Pure wisdom, one, shall find

Kalachakra
Disclosing mystic hands
Kalachakra
Splendors of colored sands

Soon of this work art shall be
In the hands of ephemerality

Dismantled, will be
The wheel of time
Quiet intensity
The sands are poured at sea
Waves of enlightenment
Are blessed and found

September 05, 2013, 09:33:15 AM
I've only listened to one song of their newest: Forgotten Arrow, I think. It seemed nice - with an emphasis on seemed. After a minute or so my mind wandered somewhere else, and before I knew it, it was over. Nothing worth remembering.

It's a shame, since Luc Lemay is such a talented guy. I hope it isn't all over for him.

Instead, I've been listening to The Erosion of Sanity (in fact, I am listening to it right now). Now that's a fucking death metal album. Rich in texture, lucid in composition, mechanistic in execution - yet with an oddly sensitive, almost mystical side to it.

This band was so great. I hope at one point they'll be again.