Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Refining your own musical taste

Refining your own musical taste
January 03, 2011, 01:03:31 AM
I've been thinking lately about all the great metal albums there is in existence today, and how its probably impossible to aquire them all( in one way or another).  Personally knowing that there is so many worthy bands and albums out there to listen to and indulge in, is it even possible to like all of these?  I find some albums take multiple listens before everything finally makes sense, and to fully appreciate them.  Sometimes i go through phases where the only music that is connecting with me is 2 or 3 albums at a time. This can go on for a couple of weeks to a month.  So what im asking is, How many of you actually take time with metal, and how many of you crave a new album daily or weekly?

Have you ever lost interest in your entire collection at a point in time when only one album connects with you?

How many of you have refined your collection, your taste, down to a particular sound, or lyrical theme?

Ive just been asking myself these questions lately, and since none of my friends enjoy the music i dol, i thought i would ask all of you.  What are your thoughts?

Re: Refining your own musical taste
January 03, 2011, 01:12:50 AM
I'm a hoarder by nature, so I do constantly download. However I'm painfulyl aware that half my library is stuff that I barely listen to or like. Should probably go on a hard drive holocaust.

And yes, I find a lot of the music I greatly appreciate now took time to get into, Peste Noire and various LLN bands being examples of this for me.

I've not refined down to a particular sound, although I know what I'm more likely to enjoy and what I'm more likely to detest if I know the sub-genre prior to listening.

January 04, 2011, 03:47:46 AM
1 - I've been thinking lately about all the great metal albums there is in existence today, and how its probably impossible to aquire them all( in one way or another).  

2 - How many of you actually take time with metal, and how many of you crave a new album daily or weekly?

3 - Have you ever lost interest in your entire collection at a point in time when only one album connects with you?

4 - How many of you have refined your collection, your taste, down to a particular sound, or lyrical theme?

1 - You're like someone who spends too much time listening to liberal propaganda in this case. There aren't that many good metal albums. In fact, you could fit the essentials into a couple file boxes. It sounds so unsociable to say it, but most music is either bad or just not all that good beyond doing 1-2 things right, and most bands have enough ideas for 2 albums and a 3rd album of ripping off/faking it from others. You don't need much.

2 - I take time to enjoy metal, but at this point, all I crave is quality. If nothing new meets the filter, I'll be content with what exists. If something new really excites me, I won't be a bigot and hold it against it that it's new.

3 - No, but sometimes only one album scratches the itch. Usually Onward to Golgotha or [i[Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism[/i].

4 - No desire to do that. I've refined it to stuff that I actually listen to, which overlaps neatly with stuff I think gets an A, A+ or really high B+. Everything else is just crap by the wayside. IF you're a musician, keep those C/B albums that have a few good riffs or ideas and FUCKING STEAL THEM. Otherwise, send 'em on.

I'm happier this way. I spend most of my time/money/energy exploring classical these days, but that's mostly because metal has gone back to it slate 1970s ratio of one great band for 10,000 shitty ones. I think that's why most people are here actually, is to find that one great band and skip the rest, because they're busy with school, work, families, preparing for jihad , etc.

January 04, 2011, 08:44:52 AM
I'm a hoarder by nature, so I do constantly download. However I'm painfulyl aware that half my library is stuff that I barely listen to or like. Should probably go on a hard drive holocaust.

As someone with the same tendency I recommend it. With downloads so freely available and hard drive space plentiful itís easy to lose sight of quality and become a hoarder. Youíll feel a renewed appreciation for the remaining music having made a conscience decision to cull the rubbish.

I still regularly explore new artists but it's important to exercise prejudice from time to time.

January 04, 2011, 09:13:16 AM
I think I might do this as well.  I've collected quite a bit of stuff I don't listen to, although I've found many (mostly unpolished) gems in the process.

January 05, 2011, 11:55:58 PM
You have to refine your collection! On my computer especially, because I like to listen to my whole collection on shuffle, and if I don't delete shitty albums they'll pop up.  If I can't stand something, I have to just get rid of it.  Why hold onto something that isn't special?

January 06, 2011, 02:50:52 AM
this thread failed.

January 06, 2011, 02:53:09 PM
this thread failed.

It had a good start, too.  I go through the same thing you go through where only one or two albums usually does it for me.  Usually a Foetus album and Samael's Ceremony of Opposites.

I think it just boils down the individual preferences and whatever you're into.  Maybe that's a non-answer, but I refuse to write pretentious bullshit that would go on and on to say the same thing.

January 09, 2011, 04:12:26 AM

As someone with the same tendency I recommend it. With downloads so freely available and hard drive space plentiful itís easy to lose sight of quality and become a hoarder. Youíll feel a renewed appreciation for the remaining music having made a conscience decision to cull the rubbish.

I still regularly explore new artists but it's important to exercise prejudice from time to time.

You're probably right. Time for me to apply the final solution to Itunes.

January 10, 2011, 01:54:37 PM
Maybe that's a non-answer, but I refuse to write pretentious bullshit that would go on and on to say the same thing.

He instead prefers to write pretentious bullshit within the span of a sentence or two. Iconoclaust is above you apes LOLZLOL

A year ago I deleted all my mp3s and purchased CDs of the music that I actually listened to. It was the best damn decision I ever made when it came to my music collection. Don't listen to anything you wouldn't pay hard-earned money for.

January 11, 2011, 01:00:37 AM
A year ago I deleted all my mp3s and purchased CDs of the music that I actually listened to. It was the best damn decision I ever made when it came to my music collection. Don't listen to anything you wouldn't pay hard-earned money for.

Once again, very good idea. I'll start on that tomorrow.

January 12, 2011, 11:44:32 AM
Is the sound quality any better if you Burn toes MP3's to a CD?

January 12, 2011, 02:35:56 PM

Once again, very good idea. I'll start on that tomorrow.

I usually research the band, then if it sounds interesting download and burn to cd as I think listening on computer detracts from the initial experience. If it's good then I'll track down an actually copy as it's better having the lyrics and cover etc to better grasp the complete concept.