Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Nootropics

Nootropics
January 03, 2011, 07:41:09 PM
What is this community's opinion on Nootropics, or "smart drugs"? There are a variety of legal drugs available through the internet that purport to enhance perception and/or cognition. Such drugs include Piracetam, DMAE, hydergine, and others. Note that what distinguishes Nootropics from other drugs that supposedly enhance cognitive performance (ie Amphetamines, which only cause a momentary surge in norepinephrine and dopamine levels) is that they do not act in short-term boosts, but actually aid in the formation of new memories, facilitate communication between cerebral hemispheres, and possibly stimulate neuronal growth. These benefits are long-term and will not immediately dissipate if one stops taking the Nootropic.  Solid case studies of these drugs are not plentiful, despite the fact that they've been around since the 1960s, but there is enough evidence to suggest that they do indeed acheive the desired effect with negligible side effects. Piracetam, probably the most common Nootropic, is a prescription medicine in Mexico and some European countries. The FDA has not passed judgement on the drug yet, so it is possible for an American to legally order the drug from overseas.

Nootropics seem almost too good to be true. They are hardly existent in mainstream medicine's conciousness, despite their tremendous potential. Which leads one to ask: What are the ethical consequences of Nootropics? Is it "fair" to enhance one's mind without doing so through REAL life experiences and actively disciplining one's mind through one's own will? Are Nootropics modern man's forbidden fruit? What could the consequences of accessing forbidden knowlledge be?

Re: Nootropics
January 03, 2011, 09:36:51 PM
I and several friends have began dose regimens with nootropics before, and I still use piracetam on a regular basis. Coupled with a good diet, you'll have a sharper mind, definitely. There haven't been any side effects.

As a student, one thing I noticed was that it was much more effortless to recall things, to formulate ideas and to apply them. I didn't notice much of an effect on focus other than your brain seems to be "faster". However I still think nothing helps a person's selective focus more than plain old tea.

The issue about "disciplining" one's mind and taking nootropics is that if you haven't disciplined yourself in the first place, nootropics aren't going to help you much. It's like putting a hot rod engine in your car that you don't even know how to drive.

September 26, 2011, 08:32:28 PM
Fuck this shit. Piracetam just turns you into a crazy faggot. If you're gonna take it, which you shouldn't, don't take it for extended periods of time.

Aniracetam was more effective but I never used it more than sparingly. It will most likely do the same to you if used long-term.

Racetams are not to be trusted.

September 27, 2011, 11:26:26 AM
I have tried several. Aniracetam was useful for learning, recall and general cognition. Oxiracetam was good for trying to absorb as much data as possible.

The stack I ended going with was:
DMAE
Vinpocetine
Aniracetam

Can't remember dosages off the top of my head. DMAE sometimes gave me a slight headache with higher dosages, but otherwise no side effects.

Worth looking into if you're interested I suppose. In the end I decided they weren't really worth the cost for what I perceived as a marginal improvement (Oxiracetam was the one I 'felt' the most). No point in trying them unless you have things like nutrition, sleep and study discipline in order first.

I don't really see where forbidden knowledge or fairness comes into it.