Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

A little thought experiment for y'all.

A little thought experiment for y'all.
January 06, 2011, 02:38:40 AM
Let's say that you were either born thousands of years ago into whatever "traditional society" of your choosing, or perhaps alternatively, these traditional societies would still exist in a much similar, more recognizable and continuous form today.

What "caste," "class," or social standing would you be a part of?  Do you know such definitely? If so, what is your reasoning?

If you don't know, but still admire the civilizations of the past, would you still hold positive feelings regarding them if you were either born or forced into a lower class, such as a slave, serf, or peasant?

Re: A little thought experiment for y'all.
January 06, 2011, 02:44:49 AM
Merchant, freeman, men-at-arms, soldier.  That is what my family was on both sides of the pond.

January 06, 2011, 02:47:17 AM
Given my parentage, Warrior class.  Military/Aristocracy on both sides of the family.

January 06, 2011, 02:53:18 AM
Given my parentage, Warrior class.  Military/Aristocracy on both sides of the family.

Many societies would conquer and enslave (those not killed) members of their opposing society's warrior class; if Christianity hadn't united Europe and the Enlightenment hadn't liberalized the world, it would be entirely possible for you to have been born a slave though, correct, even if your parents were still both either military or aristocracy?

January 06, 2011, 02:55:18 AM
Merchant, freeman, men-at-arms, soldier.  That is what my family was on both sides of the pond.

Taking merchant for this: what if your immediate ancestors were on a trade route via ship, captured by pirates, and sold into the market?

What I'm trying to do here is show people that class/caste /= inherent purpose, mindset, or quality.

January 06, 2011, 03:01:09 AM
I'de be a priest

January 06, 2011, 03:01:54 AM
-

January 06, 2011, 03:02:32 AM
I'de be a priest

What if your village went to war and all the little boys were conscripted to serve in the army?

January 06, 2011, 03:02:58 AM
Not all priests molest kids.

January 06, 2011, 03:05:35 AM
I'de be a priest

What if your village went to war and all the little boys were conscripted to serve in the army?

I'm sure yo mumma would still be avaiable. You mean religious service right.

January 06, 2011, 03:07:51 AM
I would like to be either a slaze or worker so that I could get fit doing manual labour while enjoying the great outdoors and I can hum melodies while I work.

January 06, 2011, 03:11:00 AM
Caste and quality are not the same thing, but certain social positions require better hardwiring, whether it is a great business man or a governor. People in the past organized this through castes, now we know IQ as a brute measure.

Does the hardwiring HAVE to be always based in genetics?  The human brain is extremely plastic, that is, it can adapt to situations extremely well.  Being born in a merchant caste and having an entire childhood to grow up with a predetermined occupation could possibly be the driving force in creating more a effective (in this instance) merchant, yes?

Of course, intelligence is hereditary, so if one doesn't have the IQ to count quarters then of course they'd fail from the beginning.  Intelligence is mostly quite abstract, more like a framework.

There's no reason for egalitarianism even in the lack of castes.

Why not? Or at least, in what way? In a certain aspect equality in law was supposed to throw away imposed restrictions to encourage social advancements (not progress, I know how we all find that word to be icky) in the context of not restricting individuals of their talent (I think I speak mostly from the early American viewpoint. I don't know if that sentiment applies to English common law as a whole).  Clearly that hasn't happened, but for reasons different from the core of what's being debated.

Sometimes I just worry that we had a Michaelangelo or Beethoven that never had their talent nurtured, and spent their entire life shoveling shit into a drainage ditch.

January 06, 2011, 03:11:36 AM
Merchant, freeman, men-at-arms, soldier.  That is what my family was on both sides of the pond.

Taking merchant for this: what if your immediate ancestors were on a trade route via ship, captured by pirates, and sold into the market?

What I'm trying to do here is show people that class/caste /= inherent purpose, mindset, or quality.

If I end up a slave as a result of circumstances outside of my control, so be it. I'll serve truth to whatever capacity I can.

January 06, 2011, 03:13:33 AM
I would like to be either a slaze or worker so that I could get fit doing manual labour while enjoying the great outdoors and I can hum melodies while I work.

Follow the Drinking Gourd?

January 06, 2011, 03:21:27 AM

Many societies would conquer and enslave (those not killed) members of their opposing society's warrior class; if Christianity hadn't united Europe and the Enlightenment hadn't liberalized the world, it would be entirely possible for you to have been born a slave though, correct, even if your parents were still both either military or aristocracy?

Death before dishonour.