Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Dear Anus

Re: Dear Anus
January 13, 2011, 04:06:11 AM
Conservationist, I don't think you're accomplishing very much good on that thread, maybe the opposite in fact...

Seems like a neat forum though. Tough sign up question, The Fallen Angel of ____... good thing there's Encyclopaedia Metallum, then six tries later I get the correct answer (with the damn CAPTCHA correct), now I wait for the admin to validate my account. I hate computers.
www.TheMetalDiscourser.com
The universe is naked, attack its corpus, take a real stab at your life and let the blood flow RIP the sound of the very fabric tearing.

Re: What is the deal around here?
January 13, 2011, 06:50:49 AM

http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19404&sid=87796e085c0e18d73a639b6e2017bbf8

Half those doofuses post saying "THIS THRED IZ DUMB LOL" and then don't respond when people call them out on their whining. What a bunch of peons.

Most of the posters remind me of the shouting villagers:
Monty Python - She's a witch!

January 14, 2011, 07:17:29 PM
Conservationist, I don't think you're accomplishing very much good on that thread, maybe the opposite in fact...

Would you understand me if I said your message was passive aggressive?

Active: Mention before the fact, or include constructive critique.

Passive: Mention after the fact, and mention but do not include constructive critique.

January 15, 2011, 02:40:31 AM

Passive: Mention after the fact, and mention but do not include constructive critique.

Well it's good that you explain how you interpret my post, so that I can respond and clarify how my mind is working when I made that post - or how I make posts in general. I honestly didn't mean it in a passive aggressive way. On one hand, I didn't want to presume to tell you how to do your job as minister of propaganda. On the other hand I thought it was pretty obvious you weren't doing a good job, and, being an intelligent individual, maybe you just needed someone to mention it and then you'd take a step back and notice it more. Of course, I could also be wrong about it. Normally I wouldn't comment about some posts you make on a separate forum, but, and no offense, I thought it was really bad! Haha. I definitely don't see why others in this thread are giving you such encouragement, and I didn't want to applause to be unanimous because to me that would be unhelpful to your goal of defending this forum (a goal I basically agree with). In all fairness some of the encouragement you received in this thread has also been one-liners.

Anyways, I wanted to participate in that thread's discussion, but unfortunately my account on the forum still hasn't been approved.
The universe is naked, attack its corpus, take a real stab at your life and let the blood flow RIP the sound of the very fabric tearing.

January 15, 2011, 05:01:15 PM
I found Conservationist's posts in that thread rather annoying too, at first - but look at what it's led to. In the last few pages, the discussion has evolved into something actually worthwhile - probably the most worthwhile one that forum has seen in years, seeing as almost every other topic is a variation of either "type one band name, everyone else say how awesome it is," "type as many band names as you can related to ___," or "talk about being poor."

Also, Transcix, just be patient - I signed up to the forum a few months ago and it took over a week to be confirmed. It'll happen.
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

January 15, 2011, 11:27:25 PM
I found Conservationist's posts in that thread rather annoying too, at first - but look at what it's led to. In the last few pages, the discussion has evolved into something actually worthwhile - probably the most worthwhile one that forum has seen in years, seeing as almost every other topic is a variation of either "type one band name, everyone else say how awesome it is," "type as many band names as you can related to ___," or "talk about being poor."

I wasn't going to respond to this post. Why? Because if I had to explain what exactly I didn't like about Conservationist's postings in that thread, it's very complex and it would require a great volume of words on my part. And what's the point? It's a periphery aspect of this thread, and I know it in my head so the only reason I'd be explaining it is for a handful of people who probably don't care much at all about it, really, to understand what I mean. Even if I did manage to convince you, so what? You're just one person, and with such a small-scale audience my time is far better spent.  (Sometimes I appreciate writing on forums to coalesce my own ideas for myself, but that isn't the case here.) Then I realized this is a perfect example of why I don't like Conservationist's postings in that other thread, so I decided to reply to you now! Conservationist knows what he's preaching, he knows it like the back of his hand, and I really don't think he's hoping to learn anything from the other people in that conversation (maybe he's hoping to, but he's certainly not expecting to, let's put it that way). I've been there, I've spurred great discussion of metal forums, I've poked the logic of philosophers, spiritualists and occultists to burst their stupid bubbles, but it always ends up bringing me down, they always end up bringing me down, because they're such a small piece of the puzzle it's just not worth it, although admittedly the desire to try and make a difference anyways is very strong. And at the end of the day I feel my message was sabotaged, not by anyone in particular I was talking with, but by the whole triviality of the situation. So if people want the truth I'll make it available and they can come find me, I won't always come find them. That's my take on it. (Also sometimes it's fun to disturb the shit, of course).

Also, Transcix, just be patient - I signed up to the forum a few months ago and it took over a week to be confirmed. It'll happen.

Good to know.

January 16, 2011, 12:10:56 AM

How about:

Active: Make thread, weed out bad, respond to the good in depth & engage in conversation with them on their own terms instead of making excuses that this is "not the right place or time."

Passive: Make thread, engage in ego contest and ignore all other relevant enquiries, by making excuses that this isn't the right place or time, and continue flinging as much mud at possible with peons so no one notices in the midst of the confusion.

Here's your constructive criticism. You're acting like every single person on that forum, and doing your best to be made out as something else.

Why is it that you are so selectively responsive to people who ask the hard questions?

January 16, 2011, 01:16:35 AM
Conservationist's claims of passive agression are getting increasingly paranoid.
You're quite hostile.

I got a right to be hostile, man, my people been persecuted!

January 16, 2011, 03:19:41 AM
I wasn't going to respond to this post. Why? Because if I had to explain what exactly I didn't like about Conservationist's postings in that thread, it's very complex and it would require a great volume of words on my part.

That isn't the point. Are you interested in constructively providing alternatives for the activity, or do you just want to express your dislike of the technique? If the latter, does it even matter on a forum like that? If not, then are you possibly expressing your dislike solely out of some personal need to tell the person, or is it to actually improve something? Do you tell a person that he's ugly because you want to hurt him, or do you do it because you want to alert him to the possibility of plastic surgery? I think the answer is obvious.

Anyway, sounds like a useless forum. This compartmentalizing of reality into separate realms where different laws of physics apply is obviously fallacious -- especially the "math can be wrong" bit, which was fairly nonsensical. Seems very hostile and xenophobic, too, ironically.

January 16, 2011, 03:35:37 AM
I wasn't going to respond to this post. Why? Because if I had to explain what exactly I didn't like about Conservationist's postings in that thread, it's very complex and it would require a great volume of words on my part.

Anyway, sounds like a useless forum. This compartmentalizing of reality into separate realms where different laws of physics apply is obviously fallacious -- especially the "math can be wrong" bit, which was fairly nonsensical. Seems very hostile and xenophobic, too, ironically.

It's a great place to go for news on upcoming metal releases, and general information of that sort. Better than most forums in that respect, since many musicians in todays underground will be found posting there on occasion. Not very useful for anything beyond that - unless you love bad jokes as much as I do.

January 16, 2011, 03:40:08 AM

That isn't the point. Are you interested in constructively providing alternatives for the activity, or do you just want to express your dislike of the technique? If the latter, does it even matter on a forum like that?

I proceed to address this very question in the rest of my reply you so conveniently omitted to quote... Come on lol. *shakes head*

January 16, 2011, 03:54:31 AM
I proceed to address this very question in the rest of my reply you so conveniently omitted to quote... Come on lol. *shakes head*

I only quote what's relevant for critique. It doesn't mean that I didn't read the whole post.

I didn't see anything especially constructive in the ensuing paragraph -- just more on why it's a bad idea to post on the forum, or how it's a waste of time. That still leaves the question: What do you accomplish by telling someone that you think he or she isn't accomplishing something by committing an action? Uninteresting though the forum as a whole appears to be, that thread was at least entertaining.

Other than that, all I have to say is: It's a shame that smart people get held hostage by bad ideas/memes.

January 16, 2011, 04:54:50 AM
What do you accomplish by telling someone that you think he or she isn't accomplishing something by committing an action?

When I suggest something isn't worth the time, I mean the time could be better spent doing other things entirely; it's up to the other person what are these 'other things'.

I was just relating my personal experience to Conservationist. Yes I was blunt / aggressive / etc, but that's just how I am, I don't mean anything by it. I hope Conservationist gets something out of it, because if I didn't have this hope I wouldn't have posted it (as I explained I don't post things unless there's a point to posting them).

Other than that, all I have to say is: It's a shame that smart people get held hostage by bad ideas/memes

You don't have to get held hostage, just don't step into it. Beyond this I reject the notion that ignorance restricts my freedom, there's no such thing as total freedom on a microscopic level less all conventional boundaries be dissolved into homogeneous blog of oneness, and personally I'm at peace with the fact I can't control some things and have to navigate around them instead.

January 16, 2011, 05:19:48 AM
You don't have to get held hostage

Right. And you shouldn't.

just don't step into it.

I don't see the difference, or what you're getting at, but my point was simply that there are many good brains out there that are filled with nonsense thanks to the culture that they were born into.

Beyond this I reject the notion that ignorance restricts my freedom, there's no such thing as total freedom on a microscopic level less all conventional boundaries be dissolved into homogeneous blog of oneness, and personally I'm at peace with the fact I can't control some things and have to navigate around them instead.

I agree, but again don't see the relevance.

January 16, 2011, 05:48:44 AM
There is only one conclusion: we are in agreement. ;)