Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Canonical Metal Collection

Canonical Metal Collection
July 02, 2006, 01:13:28 PM
My habit in life has been never to beg. I hold myself to high standards, and any product I consume must also meet those standards. This includes metal.

I'm disappointed by "best of" lists because they either tell part of the story, or every idiot in the book chimes in with the band-of-the-week and dilutes them into garbage.

When I represent metal to normal people, I think of the highest strata of its accomplishment. I'm compiling a list of essential bands, in the sense that all of these CDs will be of the highest artistic quality and should be what we have of "metal."

I'm not concerned about the second-rate stuff because it does not represent metal as it should be: the excellent. In fact, natural selection in metal calls for us to eliminate everything but the best, so the next generation will be even stronger.

What I'm thinking of is a list of band that anyone open-minded and musically/artistically aware can pick up and listen to, and understand metal for its core of thinkers and actors and not its imitators.

Stuff like Morbid Angel, Graveland, Deicide, Amorphis -- the classic albums from these bands that would put together a complete collection that allows one to understand the spirit and essence of metal.

Re: Canonical Metal Collection
July 02, 2006, 08:02:25 PM
http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/YaBB.cgi?board=metal_talk;action=display;num=1143150858

Haven't you done this already? I find little problem with those two lists, though I suppose they only account for two metal genres.

July 03, 2006, 06:50:33 AM
Haven't you done this already? I find little problem with those two lists, though I suppose they only account for two metal genres.

I'm disappointed by "best of" lists because they either tell part of the story, or every idiot in the book chimes in with the band-of-the-week and dilutes them into garbage.

July 03, 2006, 12:35:43 PM
Burzum's Hvis Lyset Tar Oss or Filsofem would be obvious suggestions.

July 04, 2006, 12:45:26 AM
Even the genre`s best bands have made less than stellar albums , so I suggest that the `highest strata of accomplishment` should be gauged on an album by album rather than band by band basis.
Personally I would nominate Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk, Reign In Blood, Ride The Lightning, Powerslave, Master Of Reality, Acrimony`s `Tumuli Shroomaroom` and Exorcist`s `Nightmare Theatre` as releases to represent the cream of the crop. These are the ones I`d recommend to demonstrate the point of it all.

10/10 albums don`t come along very often, perhaps in my lifetime I will hear a
band who will impress me enough for me to include their back catalogue
without resorting to choosing individual releases.

As it stands, I`m taking these to the grave.

July 04, 2006, 02:06:08 AM
http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/YaBB.cgi?board=metal_talk;action=display;num=1143150858

While those "best of" lists are important, they don't compensate for metal on a holistic scale. A canonical metal collection would include bands from DRI to Burzum. Stuff like Xasthur need not apply. Sure these bands are an interesting listen but they do not add anything new to metal on a holistic scale.

July 10, 2006, 05:12:25 PM
Sure these bands are an interesting listen but they do not add anything new to metal on a holistic scale.

In the big picture, they're irrelevant.

Parody of that:

List random band names to make yourself sound cool

No really, the more obscure it is, the better. Pretend this is a "Best of black metal?" thread and instead of thinking for a moment about what is really musically and artistically good, just start throwing out the names of the most obscure stuff you own. People are gonna go, wow, that dude's like totally underground -or- that dude's like totally esoteric and either way you get to ride the trend like a wave. C'mon, don't be shy. Show us how the Internet handles black metal. Go for it. What do you have to lose?

metal archives

July 11, 2006, 12:43:10 AM
thats what i thought of everyone when i first started posting on this site (with my last account), i knew nothing about any real metal so even the biggest bands that everyone knows i didnt have a clue to who they are. i was like wow burzum it sounds so weird these guys no everything. god ive come a long way, but i was very veryimpressed by everyone coz they could name bands they had weird names and i didnt no them so i could see how having a bandlist of your most obscure bands would trick noobs

July 11, 2006, 05:41:57 AM
Maybe the better approach would be to concentrate on the most representative (and in this case, probably the best) albums from each of the two main genres. Have newcomers to this music focus on two albums instead of taking in too much at once.

I would nominate Morbid Angel's "Blessed are the Sick" for Death Metal and Burzum's "Det Som Engang Var" for Black Metal.

July 11, 2006, 09:50:02 AM
http://www.corrupt.org/news/1001.html

A compilation like this would be ideal, with more representative bands/songs.
I say use the styles page because they are all good songs and you can also pick a band representative of a particular style.

July 12, 2006, 10:08:57 AM
Maybe the better approach would be to concentrate on the most representative (and in this case, probably the best) albums from each of the two main genres. Have newcomers to this music focus on two albums instead of taking in too much at once.

I would nominate Morbid Angel's "Blessed are the Sick" for Death Metal and Burzum's "Det Som Engang Var" for Black Metal.

Hvis lyset tar oss is both more representative of the range of possibilities inherent in black metal and simply a much better album than Det Som Engang Var.

July 12, 2006, 11:07:47 AM

Hvis lyset tar oss is both more representative of the range of possibilities inherent in black metal and simply a much better album than Det Som Engang Var.

A better album it is, but I don't think it represents Black Metal well. It's a one-of-a-kind album, and DSEV is better suited to introduce the general aesthetics of the genre, IMO.

July 12, 2006, 12:41:23 PM
DSEV is my least favourite Burzum album, I just didn't find it to be as interesting. I'd simply recommend the first Burzum as an easy entrance to getting into Burzum. It is closer to the BM archetype?
Where as I agree with the suggestion of HLTO being included in a list of Canonical Metal bands. Partly on the grounds of more possibilities and partly because it represents the apex of Varg's metal talent.

It doesn't need to represent Black Metal well, imo. If it transcends the basic concepts then I'm fine with that.

July 12, 2006, 12:55:15 PM
Why the fuck would you leave out ANY of Burzum's albums on a cannonical list?

July 12, 2006, 12:58:23 PM
I say fuck what everyone thinks. It's all about how music impacts you personally not someone's opinion on it.