Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Norsk Arisk Classical

Norsk Arisk Classical
January 11, 2011, 03:13:38 PM

http://www.naxos.com/person/Geirr_Tveitt_24830/24830.htm
http://www.geirrtveitt.com/ (Norwegian)

Not as popular as Grieg because it is not easy listening classical for proles. Recordings of many of his works are severely lacking, partly because many works were lost in a fire which destroyed his farm house, partly because his opinions were sometimes as strong as his compositions and some modern critics have a problem with that.

Geirr Tveitt MP3 files (or you may use the Neoclassical Music Hub).

Suggestions:
Femti folkatonar frao Hardanger (Fifty folk tunes from Hardanger) op. 150
Prillar op. 8; Solgudsymfonien
Piano Concertos

Let me repeat that this music is not easy to grasp. I like to call him the Norwegian Brahms--but his musical language is actually more difficult than Brahms's. The best analogy is that of learning a language: up to a certain point it just sounds silly, then you get to like to the sound of it, then you understand a bit, then you get the overal picture, then you notice details.

My personal experience is that I had to listen to Prillar or the fifth piano concerto about 10 times until I understood what is being "said" by Tveitt--and from then on, it has been very rewarding. Of course it is perfectly possible that you need less time to learn the musical language, or that you, after having perfectly understood it, still do not like the music.

We can use this thread to exchange opinions concerning Tveitt or his music, of course.
Whatever you honor above all things, that which you so honor will have dominion over you.

Whatever you honor above all things, that which you so honor will have dominion over you.

Re: Norsk Arisk Classical
May 20, 2011, 01:33:06 AM
I've always admired this composer for bringing warmth and tradition to his modernist style, though I find like Grieg his music is rather small scale when compared to the weight of the great German romantics. Hundrad Hardingtonar is probably my faviourite of his works especially the fifth suite (troll tunes:)