Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Relation of doom and black metal

Relation of doom and black metal
January 12, 2011, 02:40:44 PM
I was revisting the doom genre recently (stuff like Skepticism, Thergothen, Cathedral) and it occured to me that it works its magic by immersion in atmosphere, and in this way it's closer to black metal than death metal. Death metal is more twisted and abstract in design, kind of like decoding information of what happened rather than feeling it emotionally. Yet stylistically, doom borrows more from the subterranean, gutteral sound of death metal. So I was wondering why there hasn't been more groundwork done in making (true) black metal from a doom perspective, or maybe it's been done but I've missed it. I must say Darkthrone had some great ideas on panzerfaust and total death. Also Summoning vaguely springs to mind but more due to their use of slow tempos.

Re: Relation of doom and black metal
January 14, 2011, 02:43:12 PM
Well, if you want to establish relation between them then its not that hard.
The lyrical theme of black metal is much more like doom metal.
To be more specific sub genre of black metal such as depressive black metal has the same lyrical theme as doom metal does.
Of course, there is difference in song structure and the vocals part.
Doom metal has more like clean, deep, dark vocals unlike black metal which uses very intense screaming vocals.
I like both the genres.

January 15, 2011, 01:21:14 PM
There are plenty of black-doom bands out there. I say plenty because three black-doom bands would be too many for me already. But they're there if you go look for them. DSBM also seems to try to create self-pitying doom metal with black metal aesthetics and technique.

But I think the similarity in atmosphere is only created because of simpler musicality compared to most death metal music. I doubt there is a real connection between Doom and BM apart from metal's roots in Black Sabbath.

January 15, 2011, 04:01:04 PM
Resuscitator is an interesting band.  Iniciation, all by itself, only being 1/2 hour, was great but not quite convincing enough for me.  But recently, NWN has released 3 totally new tracks recorded back in the Iniciation days, apparently, and if you sort of put it all together, it reaffirms for me that they were pretty good for a time, anyway.    Maybe I'll try to upload it for you deadbeats :)

January 16, 2011, 01:19:12 PM
Death metal is more twisted and abstract in design, kind of like decoding information of what happened rather than feeling it emotionally. Yet stylistically, doom borrows more from the subterranean, gutteral sound of death metal.

I really like this observation.

Death metal was born in the mid-1980s when the Cold War was raging, and people were trying to decode paranoia and politics and figure out what they wanted.

Black metal was born after the Cold War ended, basically picking up history after the conditions of the end of WWII, and represented people trying to figure out why the nightmare continued.

Bill Clinton on TV was scarier than Reagan. Reagan had a goal; Clinton pandered to the lost and clueless, the self-victimizing and discontent. There was no longer hope for normal, healthy people trying to have productive lives; society went from war to 100% focus on the pitied in only a few years.

Black metal pointed out why this failed and immersed us in an atmosphere of the ancient, and the feral future. The next 1000 years are ours.

January 21, 2011, 03:03:30 AM
The new Cult of Daath tape is really dark and "doomy" despite the two headbanging tunes on there. Check out their first song listed on their myspace. His voice, well at least to me, reminds me of Necroabyssious from Varathron. Probably the best shit i've heard in a loooooong time.

January 21, 2011, 04:04:08 PM
There are plenty of black-doom bands out there. I say plenty because three black-doom bands would be too many for me already. But they're there if you go look for them. DSBM also seems to try to create self-pitying doom metal with black metal aesthetics and technique.

But I think the similarity in atmosphere is only created because of simpler musicality compared to most death metal music. I doubt there is a real connection between Doom and BM apart from metal's roots in Black Sabbath.

I've found the best works in doom metal are similar enough to black metal in terms of unifying concept with music structure (and it's romanticist based, I wouldn't even consider depressive/suicidal bands). Both use ambience to immerse the listener in atmosphere only one is more upfront, the other more contemptlative.

The black metal with doom influence I was thinking of is sort of a grey area with ambient, it's more about a way re-phrasing black metal in a more contemplative form. I was particularly interested in the high end trebbly aesthetic as oppose to obvious death/black bands. Some examples

Beherit - engram - songs like pimeydan henki, demon advance
Midnight Odyssey - firmament
I shalt become - wanderings, in the falling snow