Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

BURZUM's 8th ALBUM: FALLEN

Re: BURZUM's 8th ALBUM: FALLEN
January 26, 2011, 11:06:45 AM
Some of it sounds a lot like Belus, from the samples, some of it pretty different.  Production still needs a fix.

January 26, 2011, 12:08:52 PM
Sounds better than Belus to me so far, and for the record I rather enjoyed Belus.

So basically, it's going to be Belus part II.  What's with the recycled riff?  Am I just imagining that?

Which part are you talking about?

January 26, 2011, 12:35:20 PM
At least in the parts which are in the samples, he's using a lot of tremolo picked arpeggios, and the same key.  Sounds a lot like the rest, and parts of Belus (and Jesus' Tod).

January 26, 2011, 05:40:14 PM
So far this is an improvement on Belus. Still seems monumentally average overall, but we shall see. It was interesting at least!

January 26, 2011, 05:44:20 PM
Wow, he's actually managed to produce something worse than Belus.

January 26, 2011, 06:40:50 PM
At least in the parts which are in the samples, he's using a lot of tremolo picked arpeggios, and the same key.  Sounds a lot like the rest, and parts of Belus (and Jesus' Tod).

A bit of an understatement here.  I loaded those mp3 samples into a player with gapless playback and with the exception of the first and last tracks, there was literally nothing to distinguish one song from the next sonically. 

January 26, 2011, 11:06:54 PM
Mmmh, I think that Varg is, contrary to his own statements, doing "black metal". It seems that it is no longer an artistic exploration, as we could find in the previous albums. The cover would suppose a broad exploration of colors, unseen in "black metal".

Also, I don't like how he abuses of parallel arpeggios (specially minor chords). That's not melody and tends to be tedious.

I'll have to wait anyhow, I was moderately satisfied with Belus, and as others said, any improvement from Belus would be good news.

January 27, 2011, 12:01:18 AM
edit: nevermind, I'll reserve opinions until after I've heard the finished product.

January 29, 2011, 10:15:23 PM

January 30, 2011, 03:45:09 AM
Some of these tracks could have been first class Burzum material if it wasn't for the terrible vocals.

OK, he needs time to warm up and get his delivery back, so Belus had an excuse. But he should have found a more convincing delivery than the double-layered whisper/sunday school choir style...

I agree with the above comments that Vikernes is - despite his protestations to the contrary - still making black metal. Fallen is a promising step in the right direction from the warm-up that was Belus. Maybe this time next year we will have a fresh line of grade A uncut Burzum to shove up our sonic nostrils....

January 30, 2011, 04:59:35 AM
Fallen is a promising step in the right direction from the warm-up that was Belus.

Agreed. The wolf is out of his cage.

January 30, 2011, 05:55:09 AM
It sounds like french pop music from 70s/80s with spoken words elements. There's too many, besides terrible vocals, questionable musical choices, like frequent abruptions made for objectionable reasons and without adding something substantial to dynamics. Music is simple in structure, but at the same time it fails to achieve that mesmerizing effect of which Burzum is known. Some techniques are abused, riffs still good and with potential to create narration and perpetual beauty, but too sparse and placed in wrong context/order/intention. Classical influence about which Mr.Vikernes talks in context of his newest albums, is either too banal or superficial (or non existent at all) to justify legitimacy of mentioning it as a component of music, as well as using imagery to compensate inability to express desired themes in music itself, or, more literal, to tell the story/paint the picture instead of main medium isn't right path to create transcendental, glorious and timeless art. Still waiting for more deliberate (or maybe more intuitive in that case?) works from this artist, preferably without sonic bows toward artificial pop music in favor of more serious, stripped down, yet often dreamlike approach of Metal.

Maybe thread should be now moved to Metal?

January 30, 2011, 07:39:06 AM
Like Belus I'm trying hard to like this but I can't. I do not like the "romantic fuzzy warm melodic death metal" sound that new Burzum has. I think this artistic diarrhea is coming closer to melodic DM than to anything else (I'm not familiar with french pop music from the 70s/80s) On a more positive note I do think this album is better than Belus because at least he's not trying to sound like old Burzum anymore. But I also have to conclude that new Burzum is music for 14 year old girls, hipsters and people who live in third world countries. It does not make me happy to say this but as of now I have no hopes for Burzum anymore. I'm not even going to hope for another change in style, I just don't care anymore. Fallen is flowery and commercial sounding garbage with the masculinity of a castrato. Varg still seems intelligent and likeable in interviews and I'm not saying that new Burzum lacks passion or direction. But it's just not my proverbial cup of tea anymore. Fine, let the "new generation" find their way to the real classics through albums such as this. But I doubt it's worth it. Fine, let Varg make some money through albums such as this. I hope for him its worth it. But I won't be adding this album to my collection.

January 30, 2011, 07:41:01 AM
It sounds like french pop music from 70s/80s with spoken words elements.

How so, and do you have examples ? That's a real question, I am curious. I mean, Burzum isn't Téléphone or Daniel Balavoine...