Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

BURZUM's 8th ALBUM: FALLEN

Re: BURZUM's 8th ALBUM: FALLEN
January 30, 2011, 08:07:26 AM
It's better than Belus (and I really like Belus), and there are some parts which stand out as being as good as old Burzum.  This is more like a jump in the right direction than a mere step.  Vanvidd is the best track.  I haven't detected anything "Classical" about this (except occasional Ea-isms), except that he seems to be using more than the standard two guitars in some (most?) songs.  Sounds more like Burzum than Belus did.  I quite like the last track - it reminds me of Silvester Anfang.

He overdoes the arpeggios and 3/4 beats, and the vocals still aren't quite there.  Production needs to be worked on more, since it seems slightly unbalanced at the moment.  I think the bass should make a return to Burzum - the first two albums and Aske have this subtly bassy sound to them, which really sets them apart from the other Black Metal albums of the time, and also helps with the dream-inducing effect.

January 30, 2011, 11:13:19 PM
One can't expect another "Inn i slottet fra drömmen" or "Hvis lyset tar oss". But that is also the reason why I'm not listening to much else by Burzum. Those two songs are, funny enough, the two Burzum tracks that sound most like classical music. He was most inspired at that time, but nowadays he only writes Filosofem-like music, as if he was stuck in time. I see that more clearly now than in the Belus thread.

January 31, 2011, 06:52:52 AM
First impressions:

These melodies lack an ominous or threatening quality that characterized his melodies on previous works. Previous melodies, while beautiful ,were also also unsettling and thought provoking, these melodies are short and pretty but thats all. They seem less challenging.

January 31, 2011, 11:52:12 AM
These melodies lack any kind of attention span. These are songs made up of bits and pieces, like someone writing a term paper they don't want to write. The joy is gone, the warlike spirit, even the sense of being personal. This is just him deciding what is sufficient and taping it together.

January 31, 2011, 03:49:22 PM
If you like pop or rock music (the very best of, I presume) and black metal, you will like Fallen. Distorted arpeggios create "the black metal atmosphere" for Varg to throw a pretty short melody. What has been Varg listening that he didn't listen when he was 18?  

Filosofem was sonically challenging, at least.

These melodies lack any kind of attention span. These are songs made up of bits and pieces, like someone writing a term paper they don't want to write. The joy is gone, the warlike spirit, even the sense of being personal. This is just him deciding what is sufficient and taping it together.

You can hear a creative use of rage in old Burzum, a juvenile and violent longing for transcendence. I understand newer Burzum to be more luminous, that's ok, and thanks to his talent he achieves that to certain point, but also, he lost part of his creativity for reasons that I don't know.

April 01, 2011, 03:49:47 PM
First impressions:

These melodies lack an ominous or threatening quality that characterized his melodies on previous works. Previous melodies, while beautiful ,were also also unsettling and thought provoking, these melodies are short and pretty but thats all. They seem less challenging.
That's exactly what I thought too!
It also seems like he tries very hard to make the songs long, but haven't actually cared enough / been able to do a good enough job with it.

It's a step in the right direction, but the flaws are pointed out above.

E

April 08, 2011, 12:09:18 AM
'A step in the right direction'

REMINDER:

The point of putting out an album should be to present a fullgrown work of art, rather than littering the place with another pointless collection of random half-assed exercises.

For this reason, Slayer's 45th, M. Angel's 32nd, Burzum's 8th, 9th etc. aren't worth anyone's time, whether they constitute a 'step in the right direction' (VOMIT) or not.

April 08, 2011, 01:19:08 AM
It's less of a "worth time" and more of a "promises to improve".  Hopefully, within the next four or five albums (lol), Burzum will be the best Metal ever again.

April 08, 2011, 07:26:38 AM
'A step in the right direction'

REMINDER:

The point of putting out an album should be to present a fullgrown work of art, rather than littering the place with another pointless collection of random half-assed exercises.

For this reason, Slayer's 45th, M. Angel's 32nd, Burzum's 8th, 9th etc. aren't worth anyone's time, whether they constitute a 'step in the right direction' (VOMIT) or not.
Exactly. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is amazing *regardless* of his other works. If you have to listen to a band's entire discography to appreciate a single album, that album is ultimately a waste of time.