Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Thrash

Thrash
July 02, 2006, 10:36:02 PM
There seems to be some confusion about why we don't call speed metal "thrash" or "thrash metal" on this site.

The answer is that "thrash" is a separate genre. It's both metal and hardcore, a hybrid. From metal it got the riffs. From hardcore, the song structure and rhythm. The result is short barrages of intense sound that is both political like hardcore and meta-political; it criticizes society as a whole, not just its political aspects, much as how metal addresses the soul through experience.

Of the thrash bands, there were three major founders:

Dirty Rotten Imbeciles (DRI) (review)
Cryptic Slaughter (review)
Corrosion of Conformity (COC) (review)

In addition, there were others like dead horse, Chronical Diarrhoea, Fearless Iranians From Hell, MDC.

I recommend studying this genre as part of metal's history, because it is both past and future. As society decays, more people need to look for the hidden truths that can be found once one stops believing social propaganda at face value. Things do not make sense as they are described. Our future is in our own hands, and if we act on illusion, we may face the end prematurely -- or worse, doom ourselves to a tedious life of no achievement and a civilization based on hollow, shallow, tendentious values.

Recently, there has been a resurgence in thrash bands -- mostly on myspace -- and interest from fans. Republican administration + global warming + happy democratic propaganda = not happy youth. And when the youth finally get restless, there is often hell to pay.

Thrash - the music of not only resistance, but striving for sanity in an unsane world.

Thrash

Thrash Musicology and MP3 Samples

Re: Thrash
July 02, 2006, 11:23:16 PM
thrash really shows how much two genre's of apparent opposites can come together to create an amazing bond.
there are obvious differences(between metal and hardcore punk), but the core restless anger transcends.

July 03, 2006, 01:17:21 AM
there are obvious differences(between metal and hardcore punk), but the core restless anger transcends.

I think both are based on the idea of looking at the structure beneath reality, not its convenience or socially-derived labels.

When you take a good long hard look at modern society, and try to make sense of how it works (instead of its categorical logic applied to itself), there's a lot revealed.

This is why metal and punk are perennial subcultures or counter-counter-cultures; they aren't fooled by the hippie jag of the counterculture nor the suited lies of the dominant culture.

This is why I support The Hessian Movement.

Viriatus

July 03, 2006, 08:40:09 AM
Isn't hardcore an hybrid genre it self of punk and metal? So i think it's kind of weird to say thrash is a hybrid of hardcore and metal. On the other hand, you call Suicidal Tendencies thrash but i call them hardcore.

July 03, 2006, 01:51:05 PM
Isn't hardcore an hybrid genre it self of punk and metal?

Punk itself is partially metal-inspired. However, it diverged.

July 04, 2006, 02:28:16 AM
Recently, there has been a resurgence in thrash bands -- mostly on myspace -- and interest from fans. Republican administration + global warming + happy democratic propaganda = not happy youth. And when the youth finally get restless, there is often hell to pay.

Both thrash and grindcore seem to be rising sharply from my point of view. Maybe the some of the youth is finally losing a thick veil of insanity and coming to realize the inherent flaws of the modern world? Or perhaps they're just whining like almost everyone else.

July 04, 2006, 12:54:29 PM

Punk itself is partially metal-inspired. However, it diverged.

Alright so punk diverged from Metal, but then it partially remerged to create Hardcore?  (I think I might need a flow chart!)

Anyhow I have never been a big fan of punk (about the only punk CD I have ever bought was Sex Pistols Never Mind the Bollocks like when I was 16) so this is stuff one needs to learn about.  

July 04, 2006, 01:56:27 PM
Alright so punk diverged from Metal, but then it partially remerged to create Hardcore?  (I think I might need a flow chart!)  

http://www.anus.com/metal/about/styles/

I'm pretty sure Dark Legions Archive is the homepage of the metal forums: http://www.anus.com/metal/

The Archive answers a lot of the redundant confusion brought up here at the forum.

Viriatus

July 04, 2006, 03:03:55 PM

http://www.anus.com/metal/about/styles/

I'm pretty sure Dark Legions Archive is the homepage of the metal forums: http://www.anus.com/metal/

The Archive answers a lot of the redundant confusion brought up here at the forum.

Acording to that chart, speed metal and thrash had the same influences: heavy metal and punk/Hardcore!! So what's the difference? :P

July 04, 2006, 03:06:55 PM
Simply listen to Megadeth then listen to DRI. There you go.

July 05, 2006, 12:01:36 AM
Acording to that chart, speed metal and thrash had the same influences: heavy metal and punk/Hardcore!! So what's the difference? :P

Degree. Both candy and bread are made from sugar, flour, butter and milk. But the ingredients are mixed in different ratios.

Understand this concept and do away with a lot of modern philosophy...

July 10, 2006, 06:38:37 PM
I understand this, but I still call them both thrash when speaking, pretty much because Im not anal about something so specific.  Hell around where I live, If you asked people what their favorite thrash is, youd either get metallica or trivium from most people and that whole concept would blow their minds.

But my question is what you guys (who obviously are better at classifying and/or more strict with it) would consider exodus.  There are definately speed metal themes and influences, but there are also thrash influences and stuff.  Lyrically they targetted politics and society and such from time to time.  I would probably say its somewhere in the middle, but you know more about this specific classification than I do.

July 11, 2006, 12:01:02 AM
I've often wondered how Slayer would be classified too...clearly, their speed metal first and foremost, but Slayer were very much influenced by D.R.I., and sound like it too. Then the fact that their chromatic sense of melody is totally death metal complicates things further...

July 11, 2006, 07:29:12 AM
except slayer were around before death so its safe to say that slayer influnced death but arnt actually death metal

July 13, 2006, 06:07:26 PM
Proto death metal. That's where they fit best, a bridge between the two.