Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Thrash

Re: Thrash
July 13, 2006, 07:34:21 PM
Thrash is just a straight up badass genre. The Haunted does a good job with this. But I would have to say that Slayer puts together oldstyle punk melody, with a metal injection and a faster style, thus leaving thrash being a mix.

July 14, 2006, 12:56:46 AM
Anus is probably the only site on the net that confuses these genres. All because of one man, and his influence on the less educated. The way I - and about 99% of the metal population - see it:

Thrash Metal (Exodus, Metallica, etc)

Crossover Thrash (DRI, Cryptic Slaughter, etc)

Speed Metal (Fast Heavy Metal with Thrash elements, Cacophony, Judas Priests - Painkiller etc)

LEGION

July 14, 2006, 03:13:45 AM
Anus is probably the only site on the net that confuses these genres. All because of one man, and his influence on the less educated. The way I - and about 99% of the metal population - see it:

Thrash Metal (Exodus, Metallica, etc)

Crossover Thrash (DRI, Cryptic Slaughter, etc)

Speed Metal (Fast Heavy Metal with Thrash elements, Cacophony, Judas Priests - Painkiller etc)

Welll, call me old...but  the combination of metal and hardcore was never called thrash in my neck of the woods...it was always called "Crossover"...hence the album "Crossover" from DRI

Examples of crossover bands:

DRI (obviously)
Cryptic Slaughter
COC (early days)
The Accused (well, technically they're splatter rock..ha!)

Imo, thrash were the mainly those bay-area bands from the early to mid 80's

July 14, 2006, 03:40:36 AM
the only thing is that "back in the day" most things didnt have the same names as we give them now, after all my dad names genres or styles that im pretty damn sure dont exsist (at least under the name he gives them, so i geuss there must have been a reason for them calling it thrash to replace crossover

July 16, 2006, 06:59:40 AM
The "Crossover" title can be applied to any metal genre crossing into an outside genre, but it is most commonly used to describe the mixing of Hardcore Punk and Heavy Metal along the lines of early DRI.
The title "Thrash" was the original name given to this Crossover genre from its punk roots.

Before this, early hardcore bands such as Black Flag were named/described as 'Thrash' in their local circles but as Hardcore emerged as a genre the bands were grouped in their place as Hardcore Punk. A few years later "Crossover Thrash" emerged, this genre took the name previously used to describe skating and also the fast and hard sound of early Hardcore.

Soon after the new genre of metal "Speed Metal", as it was first known, emerged. It was named so because of its fast tempo and swift style of riffery. No-one called it 'Thrash Metal' untill the mid-to-late 80s. Though some lyrics of Speed Metal bands may contain the word "thrash", it is in reference to the mosh pit and headbanging.

Here is an excerpt from a recent interview with the Speed Metal  band Sacrifice who formed in '84 and released their debut in '85 (on a side note: they were fairly influential to Death Metal, along the same lines as Possesed)

---------
Quote:

How did the idea to form a Speed Metal band with Joe come up exactly? I mean it's not because you both liked Metal that you  had to form a band, know what I mean?
Rob: “There were no bands here playing the new style of Metal which wasn’t even called Thrash yet back then… we called it Speed Metal. Joe lived down the street from me and we both liked the same kinds of bands so we decided to find a bassist and drummer. We weren’t really thinking about being rock stars or anything, we were still just learning how to play back in 82 / 83 or so. It was a simple idea to begin with.”

-End Quote
http://www.sacrifice.com.br/interview_01.asp

----------

Also I would like to point out the stupidity of renaming a genre even though the previous name suited fine and then new name is alread taken by another genre.

When 'Thrash Metal' is counted by fools as a genre seperate to Speed Metal there is a lot of blurred lines as to bands that fit into each.  With plain Heavy Metal or Hair Metal bands filling the void of Speed Metal such as Judas Priest  and  Twisted Sister.

Ignore the masses: its not "Thrash Metal" its SPEED METAL

July 16, 2006, 01:29:13 PM
Welll, call me old...but  the combination of metal and hardcore was never called thrash in my neck of the woods...it was always called "Crossover"...hence the album "Crossover" from DRI

Calling thrash "crossover" is like calling metal "rock" -- using a generic term. Crossover refers to any hybrid between similar but alienated genres. I first heard it used to refer to Operation Ivy.

July 16, 2006, 01:30:13 PM
Before this, early hardcore bands such as Black Flag were named/described as 'Thrash' in their local circles but as Hardcore emerged as a genre the bands were grouped in their place as Hardcore Punk. A few years later "Crossover Thrash" emerged, this genre took the name previously used to describe skating and also the fast and hard sound of early Hardcore.

Good point. As far as I know, "threshing" (bizarre) and "thrashing" were always terms for what skaters did, in part a response to their spastic behavior (too much "Jolt" cola).

July 17, 2006, 05:41:47 AM
im geussing its that some thrash bands were mistaken as hardcore and wasnt seen as very metal so maybe sice there wernt many thrash acts that were really dstinctly metal, people thought that speed and thrash were the same (please keep in mind that im geussing all of that and i wasnt even born and i even now dont no much about thrash at all

July 17, 2006, 07:55:48 AM
Just, why should one treat the "Thrash Metal case" any different than the Death or Black metal one:

July 17, 2006, 08:33:41 AM
i simply saw it as differnet because it was the only genre (that im aware of) that was very similar to and often confused with a much larger genre and both genres did influence each other making it hard to tell them apart at times

July 17, 2006, 04:48:06 PM
The term "thrash" was also vigorously used by the post-hardcore bands in the mid- to end-nineties, which sped up to catch up with the extremely fast paced grindcore -- creating something sometimes also called "powerviolence".  Progenitors for this brand could be seen in Heresy or Siege, the latter being said to have influenced early Napalm Death as well.  Later examples are found in Hellnation or Dropdead, Lärm or Scholatic Deth -- admittedly all far removed from metal...

July 18, 2006, 09:44:45 AM
how is metallica not thrash??

"and justice for all" is the greatest metal album EVER IMO

July 19, 2006, 01:13:56 AM
justuce for all best metal album ever, proberly not, best speed metal album ever, could be (if you remove slayer)

July 19, 2006, 01:50:23 AM