Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Transilvanian Hunger overated

Re: Transilvanian Hunger overated
June 06, 2006, 07:52:45 AM
Second wave.

euronymous

June 06, 2006, 09:10:14 AM
Second wave.

you must be kiddin

June 06, 2006, 09:22:28 AM

you must be kiddin

Whether this band is first or second doesn't matter really. Their output of worth is one album, and one EP. They were important for introducing the Old-school Black Metalish bands from South America and Europe into the minds of the Scandinavians.

The rest of the work was done by other bands.

euronymous

June 06, 2006, 09:24:14 AM

Whether this band is first or second doesn't matter really. Their output of worth is one album, and one EP. They were important for introducing the Old-school Black Metalish bands from South America and Europe into the minds of the Scandinavians.

The rest of the work was done by other bands.

Good enough to be one out of five, imo

June 06, 2006, 11:09:00 AM
Why announce this?

Quite.

June 10, 2006, 01:57:24 AM
Transilvanian Hunger is by far the worst Darkthrone release ever. The album sounded flat, monotonous and a bore to listen to.

Then you can't be that big a Darkthrone fan, because you obviously have not heard Ravishing Grimness, Plaguewielder, Hate Them, Sardonic Wrath or the unbelievably bad Cult Is Alive

aimanirrajim

June 10, 2006, 08:14:12 PM
this album is by far the best from darkthrone. its nihilistic, dramatic, minimalistic, and stands for everything negative to modern society.

Glade

June 14, 2006, 05:16:37 PM
...or everything positive that is missing in it.

June 15, 2006, 03:40:33 AM

Things to learn :

1°) Never make rockers listen to Darkthrone, their comments will make you depressed.

Seeing as this user is has been the only one to say anything interesting in this thread, I'll pick at an aspect of it. Well not really...

To me, A Blaze in the Northern Sky is purely a rock album, with fuckloads of distortion, nihilism and screaming superimposed upon it (in this sense it is a compositional departure from their debut, not just an aesthetic one). It shocks me sometimes that suck rocky efforts don't grab rockers, especially those ones who like the comfort of bands who indulge in "relative extremity" or some such nonsense.

Then you realise that the rock experience is to most people surficial enough that the quality of the distortion is enough to decide for them what they think of the album. The minor alterations achieved by Darkthrone are enough to exclude most of their potential audience, in spite of the music being essentially the same.

Then again, they're doing rock in an intentionally bad way, so to rockers this can come across as insulting.

All this talk about taste is doing my head in. And mentioning Death and the Maiden is like mentioning cock to a 17yo girl: I go weak at the knees.  :-*

June 15, 2006, 10:40:44 AM

Of course. Rock as it is presented to us most of the times, is more about sound than composition.

Almost all of the girls I knew were at the exact opposite of this attitude at the age of 17. Did our world fall deeper into decadence again ?

Women start to really crave Cock when they hit 30.

June 15, 2006, 11:16:52 PM
Ok, so maybe my analogy was a little crude. Crude as in not well fashioned, not the other more obvious sense.

Like mentioning the latest heart throb to a 17 yo.

August 05, 2006, 04:33:55 PM
this album is by far the best from darkthrone. its nihilistic, dramatic, minimalistic, and stands for everything negative to modern society.

But even more than technique, it's poetic: the graceful poetry of lost contrasted with desire.

August 20, 2006, 04:50:57 AM
It's normal that most people could prefer A Blaze In The Northern Style or Under A Funeral Moon, simply because for them they will sound more catchy. One br00tal type can find Kathaarian Life Code appealing, just as much as people who need "catchy" riffs can find To Walk The Infernal Fields appealing.

Transilvanian Hunger has nothing of this. It's not "brutal", it's not "catchy" in the sense that this word has for rock music listeners, and its drumming prevents any pop music or rock aficionado to really get in (make average people listen to this, you'll see). It is very pure in its concept and execution, and lies on the flowing melodies, their repetition and their echoing significance when a change occurs in the song. It resembles classical music played on an industrial/trance mode, and has almost nothing to do with rock music, thus it won't appeal to rock music listeners, meaning most of the types who listen to Metal.

This is all Entirely True.  

Many of these Rock Fans listen to mega-produced stuff like Metallicas 'Black Album' or even (horror) Def Leppard.  Lo-fi production qualities will be Alien to these types of Fans and attempting to bring them over will most likely be a Fruitless Endeavor.

Myself I come from a Grunge/Alternative Rock upbringing.  The big records when I was growing up were Nirvanas 'Bleach' which was recorded for only $600 (they have stated they were influenced by Celtic Frost alot) and Sonic Youths 'Dirty' which are both lo-fi.  

Whenever I listen to Transilvanian Hunger I think "hey this sounds like an Evil version of 'Dirty'."

August 20, 2006, 07:36:34 AM
Someone should do a sociological study of how classic metal albums become considered "over-rated". On the Internet, one can always see people discussing whether an album was actually good or not, and then it usually just reverts back to being a classic in a short while. Metallica, Slayer, Darkthrone...I bet Morbid Angel's next, just because of the over-abundance of positivity thrown their way on this board by me and others. People have to start bashing it, because they think it's over-hyped. Every time a great album is over-praised, something like this occurs:

[Bubbling noises, followed in a few seconds by coughing noises]

Metalhead 1: Dude...I just thought of something.

[More bubbling noises]

Metalhead 2 : (exhaling) ...yeah?

Metalhead 1: Altars of Madness...is...

Metalhead 2: ...fucking awesome?

Metalhead 1: No man! It's over-rated. It's great, I mean real great, but people just talk about it too much man, like it's their own personal Jesus Christ or something. Fuck that shit.

Metalhead 2: ...you know, as much as I like this album, I feel that creeping sense of needing to affirm my fragile sense of individuality among strangers on some forum.

Metalhead 1: Yeah, fuck yeah, let's do it!

Metalhead 2: Do what? Post it on the Internet?

Metalhead 1: Nah, have gay sex.

Metalhead 2: EXCELLENT IDEA.

This is happening, right now, in some rat infested rehearsal space, mark my words. Morbid Angel is next.