Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Revised DLA reviews

Revised DLA reviews
January 29, 2011, 11:24:34 AM
I've noticed that a few of the DLA reviews, the review of Advent Parallax by Averse Sefira for instance, have been substantially revised. Is there any way that we could get a list of what reviews have been revised, since these updates haven't been made known in the news section?
Classicism in art, royalism in politics, Catholicism in religion

Re: Revised DLA reviews
January 29, 2011, 01:53:01 PM
Yeesh. No one kept a list. Most revisions were to make reviews more friendly to the average college-educated reader, and less esoteric; we kept a few to show where we're going from with the idea of changing language to be more interesting and expressive. Not sure what the end result will be.

January 29, 2011, 05:22:52 PM
Don't know where else this should be mentioned, but - there's at least one paragraph in the Fleshcrawl reviews that's placed with the wrong album.
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

January 29, 2011, 10:11:45 PM
I didn't really find anything that difficult to understand about the original reviews, but I understand the sentiment behind the revisions. Maybe I'll go find out which ones were altered and post up a list of links for people to check out if they're interested in chronicling how the DLA has changed over time. Anyone down with that?
Classicism in art, royalism in politics, Catholicism in religion

January 30, 2011, 04:34:26 AM
I didn't really find anything that difficult to understand about the original reviews, but I understand the sentiment behind the revisions. Maybe I'll go find out which ones were altered and post up a list of links for people to check out if they're interested in chronicling how the DLA has changed over time. Anyone down with that?

I think many were/are difficult to understand at times. Esoteric is the word, at least for a non-native English speaker as myself. But of course, you could also ask if it's really a good idea to compromise the complexity and intricacy of the writing to reach more people, or if that would also compromise the quality itself of the reviews. Taking that new Advent Parallax review as an example, I think it has found a nice middle ground in this context (lexically stripped down without being DUMBED down), and I wouldn't mind if that was the level the reviews could aim for in general.

February 19, 2011, 05:58:48 PM
Taking that new Advent Parallax review as an example, I think it has found a nice middle ground in this context (lexically stripped down without being DUMBED down), and I wouldn't mind if that was the level the reviews could aim for in general.

I'm all for this too. Too much esoteric and the topic gets lost in the style. Too little analysis and too little artistry, and it becomes like the marketing-speak spewed out by all these other metal sites, 99% of them useless.