Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

New Burzum album 2011 (Fallen)

New Burzum album 2011 (Fallen)
January 31, 2011, 07:16:14 AM
Is horrendous.

Why doesn't he try tomato farming instead?

Re: New Burzum album 2011 (Fallen)
January 31, 2011, 12:50:50 PM
Have you actually *listened* to it ?

How seriously should one take the opinion of a website that praises every half-assed recombinant riff-fest from Texas ?

Belus was great and Fallen is too.

January 31, 2011, 01:33:41 PM
Belus was good, Fallen is great, old Burzum is incomparable.  He's got a way to go yet.

January 31, 2011, 02:50:20 PM
My impression off of one listen through was that it was neither terrible nor great, just simply boring. Too much saccharin sweet riffing that doesn't build atmosphere. Definitely not a fan of the Belus/Fallen style vocals either. Besides the fact it was tolerable I can't point out any moments I was fond of.

Not sure: if want/ will be returning for repeated listening.

January 31, 2011, 03:01:43 PM
Black metal is not my expertise, so when I do enjoy an album I take note of its importance to me. I enjoyed Belus for what I believe is its intention: that hypnotic trance that ensnares you. We can not know for sure if he is making music just for the sake of it because indeed this is the everyday dilemma when we are bombarded with so many bands who are trash. Clearly for me I believe in what I hear and feel in the music.

January 31, 2011, 09:03:01 PM
Hmm, only listened to this four times (twice on speakers, twice on headphones) so far but I'm sad to say it has failed to hold my interest. The songs are all terribly formulaic which makes it fairly boring. The production/mixing doesn't help matters since drums and rhythm are too low with vocals and lead too high which means what little dynamism there is doesn't pack the punch it should. It said in the press release that they mixed the album as though it were a classical recording but I'm not sure if that decision is partially to blame because I don't really know what that means. Either way it can't explain the lazy composition. The five minute outro track is by far and away the most interesting music here, and even that kind of thing has been done many a time before by many neo-folk bands. I'm dead disappointed because I thought Belus was good and I was hoping Varg would pick-up some momentum and consolidate his come-back. Ah well. It'll be interesting to know if this is all new material or if, like Belus, some of it is old work only seeing the light of day now.
"creation in order to subdue the torment of perception" - Wilhelm Worringer
A View From Nihil
Order of the HNW

January 31, 2011, 09:13:32 PM
The writers at ANUS/Amerika/DLA who are criticizing the album are doing so solely on ideological grounds. I mean, obviously it must be true, because who the hell would like what I don't like? That's just ludicrous! It's not as if they legitimately think the album is of lower quality; no, because everyone's taste roughly equates to mine.
Classicism in art, royalism in politics, Catholicism in religion

January 31, 2011, 10:05:03 PM
Why doesn't he try tomato farming instead?

if you haven't tried it, I suggest you do. Growing tomato's is just to easy. Varg should challenge himself by growing something tropical and ethnic. Although, then he would probably wind up tossing in spanish guitars and maracas in the next Burzum album. Fuck multiculturalism.

Definitely not a fan of the Belus/Fallen style vocals either. Besides the fact it was tolerable I can't point out any moments I was fond of.

It's the same style as Filosofem, only it sounds MUCH better recorded with a shity headset, funnily enough.

And the fact that Belus was neither extremely bad nor extremely good is what made it disgusting.....seeing a brilliant musician produce some of just average quality is a thousand times more depressing. I have yet to give FALLEN a listen (I am waiting for a hard copy of the album) but I actually very much enjoyed the samples I heard. If the song structures actually work, this album will be excellent.

February 01, 2011, 11:47:13 AM
I don't see how Belus or Fallen are any better than the generic crappy "ear candy black metal"  that comes out of Ukraine. Varg has just taken another shit on his legacy.

February 02, 2011, 10:26:04 AM
The writers at ANUS/Amerika/DLA who are criticizing the album are doing so solely on ideological grounds. I mean, obviously it must be true, because who the hell would like what I don't like? That's just ludicrous! It's not as if they legitimately think the album is of lower quality; no, because everyone's taste roughly equates to mine.
There's a difference between not liking something and not getting something.  If anyone is an authority on Burzum it would be these writers.

February 03, 2011, 05:43:32 AM
I wholeheartedly agree, I was just poking fun at people who think that argument is valid. I've found that people often attempt to resolve cognitive dissonance by convincing themselves that the source of the dissonance is somehow pretentious.
Classicism in art, royalism in politics, Catholicism in religion

February 09, 2011, 05:34:20 AM

Upon listening, all I could think of was this...

February 09, 2011, 06:17:24 AM
Please, don't make Varg the next Chuck Schuldiner for the sake of your own notoriety.