Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

New Burzum album 2011 (Fallen)

Re: New Burzum album 2011 (Fallen)
February 13, 2011, 10:49:02 AM
Replace every instance of "fallen" in this thread with "belus" and it's the exact same thread as last time around: most people hate it, some people think it's merely bad, and no one is sure whether Cargest is trolling or is actually serious, getting more ludicrous along the way. Well, except that there was a Glemselens Elv that got universal praise that we're missing here.

February 13, 2011, 10:59:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBziPtwO2fg&

Varg should have pursued composing music in the style of Hlidskjalf arranged for classical guitar instead of trying his hand at Slavic black metal.

MLK

February 13, 2011, 04:28:09 PM
Dunkelheit just goes ABABCDA, with minor variations throughout.  Fallen is more like ABABCDCDABAB, with no variations at all.  I've never heard a pop song using the structure of any of the songs off Fallen, but I have heard pop songs using a moronically simple form of the structure used on Dunkelheit.

No, really.  I'm mildly serious.

I'd go further, and say its ABA, maybe even just A (B is really just a variation of the completed A riff). the difference between dunkelheit and belus/fallen is that A doesnt reveal everything all at once, instead it develops by expanding the riff slowly and adding in bits of transitory material to create an emerging experience in what is basically still a pop song. belus/fallen is just simplistic sugary pop.

MLK

February 13, 2011, 04:30:22 PM
I believe this also brings about the ultimate point as we age. Most musicians fade away when it comes to retaining the power of the music

Tell Beethoven that. Metal musicians need to stop being flakes.

February 14, 2011, 02:49:56 PM
Tell Beethoven that. Metal musicians need to stop being flakes.

I was thinking about this debate, and how metal seems like such a retarded stepchild of classical sometimes, when I also found myself musing on the nature of the debate over Belus and Fallen. It reminds me of the early debate over post-1996 Emperor, where all the old guard were like WTF LOL FAIL and newer audiences thought the material was better than rougher work like ITNE. We're not debating the individual albums here; we're dancing around the total FAIL of underground metal in the years following 1994 or 1995, depending on how you measure it.

February 14, 2011, 03:58:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBziPtwO2fg&
This is awesome.

Agreed, I really enjoyed this cover. In fact, I think I may like it better than the original version.

February 14, 2011, 04:37:07 PM
newer audiences thought the material was better than rougher work like ITNE.

WTF LOL FAIL

Burzum's no longer "Underground".  That's probably a major reason for new Burzum sucking compared to old Burzum (hope this clears up my views on Belus/Fallen, Chains, all trolling aside).  I don't mean "people know about Burzum so now it sucks", I mean "Vikernes is no longer coming at Metal from an Underground perspective; he's coming at it from his own perspective, like a lot of these hipster bands".  Of course, he's actually quite a good composer anyway, even without the inspiration needed to thrust his creations amongst the brightest of stars.  Without that inspiration, much of which must have come from the relative isolation and ideological fermentation in the "Black Circle" (as far as it ever really was such a thing), only his understanding of musical pleasance comes through, which makes an arguably "good", but comparatively crap record.  A 6 on that scale of objective music quality, where 10 brought transcendence from samsara and 1 had rhythm.

February 20, 2011, 05:52:28 PM
have no had a chance to listen to, "fallen" yet.

although i did enjoy belus. it's not, "hvis lyset tar oss", but he won't ever make anything that could compare.

so enjoy the material for what it is...above-average black metal, that has more soul and feeling that almost everything else out there.

February 21, 2011, 01:49:32 PM
above-average black metal, that has more soul and feeling that almost everything else out there.

I'm your accountant. I just did "above average" work for you; here's my bill.

February 21, 2011, 05:51:09 PM
above-average black metal, that has more soul and feeling that almost everything else out there.

Your bill is the same as everyone else's bill, and you're doing better work than the majority of people ever have done, and much better work than the majority of people are doing at the moment.  Of course, because this is a music allegory, I'm allowed to have an accountant from 1993, so I'll generally go with that.

February 22, 2011, 01:09:55 AM

i'm sorry...was that supposed to be an inside joke?

i guess i didn't get it.

February 22, 2011, 06:45:06 AM

i'm sorry...was that supposed to be an inside joke?

i guess i didn't get it.

He was implying that 'above-average' means the same thing as mediocre.

February 22, 2011, 08:31:16 AM
Oh, are we changing the meanings of words now?

Cool.  Well, I say the new Burzum is epiglottal!

February 22, 2011, 01:29:37 PM
I wonder what one must be listening to on average that Fallen could actually be described as above average???