Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Mainstream newspaper covers metal

Mainstream newspaper covers metal
July 03, 2006, 04:52:48 AM
This is about 2 weeks old now but I figure some of you may wish to read the article:

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1800784,00.html

It isn't overly informative nor well written but it depicts metal in a positive light. I think they need to go to the Hessian website.

edit: another article
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/10bestcds/story/0,,1797278,00.html

Re: Article about Metal in UK newspaper
July 03, 2006, 06:47:03 AM
That was a good read. There should be more awareness.

July 03, 2006, 07:26:47 AM
I liked the way that the article tryed to point out the harmlessness and tongue in cheek nature of most death metal. It is a steriotype that i often come across, people seem to think that i slaughter goats on a regular basis cos i like death metal, and they haven't even heard of black metal. But this article avoided such pitfalls, and even tryed to destroy many of them.

July 03, 2006, 11:37:38 AM
The authors should have gotten more information on metal before writing the article. But nevertheless, it's very nice to see that authors tried to banish the stereotypes.

It has got a very bad image attached to it and there is a stereotype of a metal fan, but you'll find they are some of the most normal and sane people you'll come across.

Those words are worth the whole article.

July 03, 2006, 11:39:01 AM
people seem to think that i slaughter goats on a regular basis cos i like death metal, and they haven't even heard of black metal.

Atleast they didn't try to claim that Slipknot are black metal.

July 03, 2006, 11:41:40 AM
The problem with the article is that it tries to reconcile death metal with normal society, which, while appetizing for members of that society, is not so much for death metallers who are outside it's confines.

July 03, 2006, 12:08:19 PM
im actually very happy with trhe article, i do reckon it put to much emphasis on the bands that sing about gore and blood as opposed to bands that sing of death and view it as the unknown and unknowable. i personaly dont think gore is an important part of death metal and while there are bands i do enjoy that sing of this i reckon most people miss what they are really trying to do and mistake it for gore for gores sake

July 03, 2006, 12:11:37 PM
The problem with the article is that it tries to reconcile death metal with normal society, which, while appetizing for members of that society, is not so much for death metallers who are outside it's confines.

Agreed.

They needed to spend more time at hessian.org -- they're trying to make death metal into tedious rock music.

Grrr.

July 03, 2006, 12:31:22 PM

Agreed.

They needed to spend more time at hessian.org -- they're trying to make death metal into tedious rock music.

Grrr.

That's always the problem with mainstream media's representation of heavy metal: they want to castrate it and make it conform to a liberal worldview where all statements or thoughts not related to upholding the current societal structure are just escapism.  Of course, the double-edged sword in this is that by portraying that antisocial opinions of hessians realisticaly, it alienates the average person who can only see the superficial aspects of the culture which conform to their stereotype of what metalheads are or should be.

There's really no solving the issue; those that will come, will come.  Now the question is which is more harmful?

Also, I love the blatant attempts at jamming metal's square peg into egalitarianism's round hole, evidenced quite obviously by their emphasis that some females choose to be involved.  Once again, an attempt to pervert metal's ideals to fit with civilization's.

July 03, 2006, 05:38:25 PM
Like the cocksuckers at Blender magazine, mainstream media journalists should stick to covering slipknot and those other ass wiping, dick sucking pretenders who claim to be metal bands. Obviously they shouldnt write about anything which they dont understand

July 06, 2006, 05:01:01 AM
Gorgoroth 'reviewed' (more like praised than reviewed) in a UK newspaper:
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/10bestcds/story/0,,1797278,00.html

"Satan, to them, is neither godhead nor bogeyman but a state of being: the Nietzschean übermensch."

I didn't suspect that Gorgoroth were this smart. Maybe that was just the writer.

Vajra

July 06, 2006, 11:22:10 PM

Yes I know a comment like this was coming.  I believe Darkthrone said something about this.  They went to black metal because death metal had become "people in colored clothing talking about PC [politically correct] stuff"

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=darkthrone+interview

The only way this kid being interviewed by the BBC could justify his listening to Death Metal with all of its violent and controversial lyrics was by saying it's content was pure 'fantasy'. Like paedophilia is an acceptable fantasy in Japanese society.