Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

AUTOPSY recording new album

AUTOPSY recording new album
February 07, 2011, 11:11:42 PM

"The album will contain no repeated EP tracks, no re-recorded old songs, no triggered trickery, and nothing less than the pure death metal brutality that AUTOPSY has always delivered."

"I usually cringe when I hear 'reunion' or 'reformed' or whatever," Reifert told Decibel. "It usually means people are out of ideas. We really have no interest in reliving the past. That's what was cool about the songs just coming to us instead of our trying to force it. We can't tour, and if we could, we still wouldn't want to. But as long as we enjoy recording, we're going to stay at it. It's not a one-off or a two-off or whatever. Right now, there's a lot of energy in the band, and it's not going away anytime soon. We have a few things to take care of, for sure."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=153505

Re: AUTOPSY recording new album
April 15, 2011, 03:46:10 PM
A video of one of the "Tomb Within" tracks was recorded:

http://truecultheavymetal.com/blog1.php/2011/04/15/exclusive-new-autopsy-video

April 16, 2011, 03:49:33 PM
Hmmm...I'd be lying if I said that did much for me(And I love classic Autopsy).  Will have to wait and see - or hear, the finished product I suppose though.   

April 18, 2011, 05:33:04 PM
The EP was fantastic, so I have high hopes for this.  There's not much sense in letting one poorly written review chase me off from a promising album.

April 27, 2011, 05:22:34 PM
More stuff:

Talk about a rollercoaster! After issuing the putrid slab of depravity known as Dawn Of Inhumanity last year, Chris Reifert of Abscess announced two things in one fell swoop: first that he was dissolving Abscess in the wake of guitarist Clint Bower's departure, and second that he was reforming the legendary Autopsy as his main endeavor. The influential death metal band played multiple European festival appearances following a return performance at Maryland Death Fest, and with the solidification of the lineup (original members Reifert, Coralles & Cutler with Joe Trevisano of Abscess/Von), it is now clear: Autopsy is not fucking around.

After a warning shot was fired across the bow in the form of the sublimely grotesque 2010 EP The Tomb Within, Autopsy hit the studio again in January to fiendishly plot their follow-up and first LP in 16 years, Macabre Eternal. The new LP is now officially up for preorder via Peaceville, and sees Autopsy return to their blood-crusted throne as one of the godfathers of Death Metal (along with a few select others, including Reifert's previous band Death). With Macabre Eternal on deck (5/16 on vinyl, 5/20 on CD), Autopsy has released a track from the LP to stream, and it makes its world premiere here. I dare you to not shake your fist in excitement at "Always About To Die", available below for the first time.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2011/04/autopsy_releasi.html

May 04, 2011, 10:51:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD_gQsSv9s8

Studio recording of a new song.  Doesn't seem as strong as the material on the EP...

May 05, 2011, 06:02:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD_gQsSv9s8

Studio recording of a new song.  Doesn't seem as strong as the material on the EP...
No, definitely not. I'm no expert on musical terminology/music theory, so for a lack of better terms I'll say it seemed very monotone and impassioned. I did really dig the shit out of "The Tomb Within," though, minus the last song. Lets see how the rest goes...

July 19, 2011, 02:22:54 AM
I've noted a conspicuous lack of "buzz" about this disc here...and personally, I believe with good reason. Sadly, this disc just fails to do ANYTHING for me, from beginning to end. I am curious what others' experience is. This is one of the greater disappointments I can recall in some time.

July 19, 2011, 01:34:44 PM
I've noted a conspicuous lack of "buzz" about this disc here...and personally, I believe with good reason. Sadly, this disc just fails to do ANYTHING for me, from beginning to end. I am curious what others' experience is. This is one of the greater disappointments I can recall in some time.
I liked the album at first, but quickly discovered it has little to no lasting power.  It certainly doesn't hold up to Severed Survival or Mental Funeral, but I never expected it to in the first place.  That's probably why I wasn't exactly disappointed by it.

July 20, 2011, 04:46:54 AM
I liked the album at first, but quickly discovered it has little to no lasting power.  It certainly doesn't hold up to Severed Survival or Mental Funeral, but I never expected it to in the first place.  That's probably why I wasn't exactly disappointed by it.

I clearly WAS expecting too much, though I should know better by now. I was bored with it immediately(also found Reifert's vocals problematic in a way I never thought I would) - subsequent listens did nothing to remedy the situation. 

Thanks for the thoughts.

July 20, 2011, 06:40:21 AM
It's really one of the biggest disappointments you can remember in recent (metal) history?

:/

I don't find it to be anything special -it's a lazy summer afternoon version of death metal if you ask me- but it is, at least, both competent and honest. Whereas we've had plenty of UTTER SHIT come out by other once-great bands over the last five years or so. That being said, high expectations were completely justified for this album, what with The Tomb Within being as good as it is.

July 20, 2011, 06:57:11 PM
I'm going to be the voice of dissent and say it's fantastic- and I was one of those who was a doubter when the sample track was released!

It's like "Mental Funeral" in that a few of the songs are a bit too simple to stand up on their own, but work well in the context of an album- and, as a result, it requires a lot more attention than "The Tomb Within" did.

Minor criticism: The production is too clean for an Autopsy album.  Not a meaningful problem, but I suspect this may be where some of the criticism comes from.