Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Celtic Frost tour

LEGION

Celtic Frost tour
July 06, 2006, 07:46:14 PM

I'm just reminiscing about the past, unfortunately on their current tour CF aren't honoring their older material quite in the way that they should be.  Instead they are favoring a more "doom-metal/stoner-rock" approach to their classics, which imo,...sucks!

See for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9xYX9w50Vs&search=celtic%20frost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLLpXo413ac&search=celtic%20frost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw4_zbmK3Ck&search=celtic%20frost

Re: WARRIOR!!!
July 07, 2006, 11:33:25 AM
Even though some other guy in the thread says they are too slow, I don't detect it.

Hmmm... you should be able to detect it in the first video, it's slowed down a lot. The other two not so much.

Re: Celtic Frost tour
July 09, 2006, 02:49:22 PM
I noticed it too, but then I thought about it and listened to Frost's 1984 rehersal demos again. Believe it or not, those songs were originally that slow! Also, Frost was never the fastest band around, they tended to like the "trudge riffs" a lot. Plus, it's 22 years since they wrote some of that stuff and they seem to be  interested in drawing a direct connection between where they were and where they are now. I'm still looking forward to seeing them.

Re: WARRIOR!!!
July 09, 2006, 02:59:20 PM
looks like Ain has been replaced or gained a lot of weight and I am pretty sure I see another guitarist.

That's Ain, and he always ran towards being beefy (if you ever see any of his "stuffed shirt" photos from the Vanity/Nemesis days)

July 10, 2006, 04:13:08 PM

Instead they are favoring a more "doom-metal/stoner-rock" approach to their classics, which imo,...sucks!

They've always been doomy and the new album is great. None of the dime-a-dozen black metal bands out there can compare to this. There's almost no difference between black metal and emo now. Celtic Frost is eternal and thank Satan, they've recovered from that slump that started with Into the Pandemonium. Cold/Nemesis and Vanity Lake are far away now!

Ergriefer

July 11, 2006, 10:42:12 PM
at first i was not so interested in the new one, but after a few listens (and checking out that CRUSHING live shit you somehow don't like), i can see where they're going, and i really like it.  yeah, so doom isn't the trendy new shit right now, so what?  they're kings, they can do what they want, and they do it damn well.

Wolfbane

July 12, 2006, 12:47:44 AM
Man I wish they were coming to Nashville. But my town is cursed to only have posercore bands tour here.

By the way, the second guitarist is Anders Odden of Cadaver fame. A pretty good line up if you ask me.

July 12, 2006, 08:24:27 PM
Celtic Frost, their new album crushes most shit nowadays. Hail

July 12, 2006, 10:28:26 PM
Man I wish they were coming to Nashville. But my town is cursed to only have posercore bands tour here.

Suffocation will be playing at The Muse on the 31st of July, but you'll have to sit through a bunch of -core crap to see them.

Wolfbane

July 13, 2006, 12:15:03 AM
That tour is coming to Nashville? I'll think about it.

July 13, 2006, 05:37:34 PM

Suffocation will be playing at The Muse on the 31st of July, but you'll have to sit through a bunch of -core crap to see them.

Similairly, when Celtic Frost play in London I first have to bear witnes to the tedious Gorerotted (you don't even want to know...) and Cryptopsy (a slight impovement, perhaps?) before the main act. Oh well.... I fucking hate waiting out crap acts at metal gigs.

July 13, 2006, 08:11:12 PM

Similairly, when Celtic Frost play in London I first have to bear witnes to the tedious Gorerotted (you don't even want to know...) and Cryptopsy (a slight impovement, perhaps?) before the main act. Oh well.... I fucking hate waiting out crap acts at metal gigs.

Seems 1349 will be opening a good chunk of the US tour and I heard Sunn0))) will be opening some the shows on the west coast.

Ergriefer

July 15, 2006, 03:43:19 AM
cryptopsy is kind of...cheap?  a circus act?

LEGION

July 15, 2006, 03:46:18 AM
Just like with Archie and Edith...

"those" were the days...

July 15, 2006, 02:32:52 PM

Seems 1349 will be opening a good chunk of the US tour and I heard Sunn0))) will be opening some the shows on the west coast.

It's sad that Celtic frost deem 1349 as a worthy act to tour with. I can't really think of any modern black metal act that would compliment their sound, but 1349 seem a ludicrous choice. I would sooner see a class musical act such as Immolation play with them. Despite a total lack of musical similairity, it would be more interesting to see a support whose music displays the same levle of quality and versatility. 1349 are ten-a-penny black metal, enabled to inflict their own lack of quality control upon others thanks to the wonderful world of large independent metal labels.  Bollocks.