Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Deeds of Flesh-Portal to Canaan

Deeds of Flesh-Portal to Canaan
February 11, 2011, 01:37:04 AM
New release "Portal to Canaan"

"What's up everyone, after a little break we are now working on the new CD which will be entitled "Portal to Canaan" which stems from our last release "Of What's to Come" and it's concept. Artwork pre prods are being worked on now by Raymond Swanland and will post cover when finished. We will keep you all up to date as things develope.
Deeds of Flesh"

Re: Deeds of Flesh-Portal to Canaan
February 11, 2011, 02:23:19 AM
Great. I hope they eschew the wankery that was prevalent on the last album.

February 12, 2011, 01:23:59 AM
Great. I hope they eschew the wankery that was prevalent on the last album.

Yeah I too thought it was a bit wanky. It was particularly disappointing because this band, more than most, seemed perfectly to grasp complexity without showmanship.

“Path of the Weakening” has its moments but “Reduced to Ashes” is their best work, I think. I also really like the non-pretentious narrative lyrics of tracks like 'The Endurance'. Come to think of it, along with Iron Maiden and Emperor's 'With Strength I Burn,' that's three tracks that use the sea as Romantic metaphor for the learning of (un)sacred truths. I suppose they represent death metal, heavy metal' and black metal takes on the question. Must be all that latent Coleridge reading, or in the case of Ahab (banish me!), Melville.

February 15, 2012, 02:28:25 AM

February 15, 2012, 05:49:15 AM
"Reduced to Ashes" was the last album I enjoyed from this band.

Everything since then has missed the mark, some more badly than others.

February 15, 2012, 02:35:25 PM
There are different ways to miss the mark.

The newest Morbid Angel missed the mark like a plane flight to New York that ends up in Kuala Lumpur.

The last few DOF may have missed the mark, but more like ending up in Poughkeepsie.

February 16, 2012, 02:00:32 PM
And here I come out of the woodworks just to say that I have always enjoyed every Deeds of Flesh release.  I can not wait for this album just the same. Now one issue that does bother me is the fact that some people are having issues with ordering from Unique Leader. When I ordered my Crown of Souls T- shirt, I had to e-mail to verify that I was indeed getting the order. It took more time then I thought. The only reason this would be an issue with me is when the cd comes out I would like to order it along with a couple t-shirts.

February 16, 2012, 06:09:12 PM
I haven't really enjoyed anything they've done post-Crown of Souls. A little too modern, with less focus on riff density and subtlety (the trademark features of this band) and more on guitar flash. I miss the days when they were crazy skinheads writing songs about cannibalism. There's only one original member left in the band, right? I might check this new stuff out in mp3 form, but I doubt I'll end up buying it.

February 17, 2012, 02:51:06 PM
Only Erik and Mike are left...

February 18, 2012, 12:28:55 AM
I'm looking forward to it. They've had solidly good ideas all along. Their last album was more interesting than 99% of death and black metal at this time, even with its highly visible and ultimately inconsequential flaws.

Compare it to the last two pieces of total shit that Immolation shipped... the term "sell-out" is appropriate on the Scion(tm) EP.