Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Sun possibly in trouble

Sun possibly in trouble
February 13, 2011, 07:23:32 PM
Japanese scientists have spotted two huge holes on the sun's magnetic field, and it appears there is some reason to be concerned about.

The holes, called coronal holes, are gateways for solar material and gas to spill out into space, according to space.com. The gaps in the sun's magnetic field make a hole through its atmosphere, letting gas out, NASA has said.

Read more: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/111860/20110213/sun-holes-nasa-space-coronal-hinode.htm#ixzz1DruNMpro

Warning: article translate exactly Japanese from.

If the sun were in trouble, would humanity get its shit together to ship a Noah's ark into space? Would it know where it was going? What it be like, restarting humanity from say 20,000 individuals? Would we do the smart thing and pick good people, or would we be democratic morons and ship 200 smart people and the rest idiots?

Re: Sun possibly in trouble
February 13, 2011, 08:11:35 PM
I choose C: Everyone dies

February 13, 2011, 10:59:00 PM
You would have to redefine your entire conceptual world if humans were to settle another planet. This is a true third eye scenario. Who cares about a few billion morons if you coexist with them on a planet 20 times the earth's size?

February 14, 2011, 12:01:11 AM
That's too simple an answer. The higher gravity and atmospheric pressure, not to mention probable composition would make such a planet non-terrestrial in any way. For us it would be Mars and thousands dead trying to colonize or nothing.

February 14, 2011, 09:08:35 AM
Gravity would pose a problem if the planet was 20 times as massive, but not necessarily if instead it had 20 times the radius, distancing us from its center. But this is all so outlandish to start with and if anything happens to the sun within at least the next millennium humanity is fucked either way.

February 14, 2011, 09:09:28 AM
Japanese scientists have spotted two huge holes on the sun's magnetic field, and it appears there is some reason to be concerned about.

The holes, called coronal holes, are gateways for solar material and gas to spill out into space, according to space.com. The gaps in the sun's magnetic field make a hole through its atmosphere, letting gas out, NASA has said.

Read more: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/111860/20110213/sun-holes-nasa-space-coronal-hinode.htm#ixzz1DruNMpro

Warning: article translate exactly Japanese from.

If the sun were in trouble, would humanity get its shit together to ship a Noah's ark into space? Would it know where it was going? What it be like, restarting humanity from say 20,000 individuals? Would we do the smart thing and pick good people, or would we be democratic morons and ship 200 smart people and the rest idiots?
Without holes in the sun's corona there would be no solar winds (ie you wouldn't be given sufficient heat to live in the first place).

I'd be more worried if these holes weren't there, or in the extreme case they covered half of the sun. Transient holes in the corona are common.

Please, spare us the armchair hysteria.

February 14, 2011, 02:39:48 PM

Please spare us your toxic personality defects and passive-aggression. I brought up the article as a talking point.

February 15, 2011, 08:07:56 AM

Please spare us your toxic personality defects and passive-aggression. I brought up the article as a talking point.
So, let's recap.

You share with us the thoughts of the Fox News quality science brigade by thinking that sun is in trouble because its corona is leaking.

I say that this is a normal event and there's nothing to worry about.

And I am the one with toxic personality.

ROFL

February 17, 2011, 11:52:40 PM
So, let's recap.

You share with us the thoughts of the Fox News quality science brigade by thinking that sun is in trouble because its corona is leaking.

I say that this is a normal event and there's nothing to worry about.

And I am the one with toxic personality.

ROFL
I dislike all these "science" article people like to post around here as well, but you didn't just refute the article, you decided to insult conversationist for posting the article while the fact that the meat and taters of this thread was "If the sun were in trouble, would humanity get its shit together to ship a Noah's ark into space?" must have slipped your mind.

And if this happened, of course humanity wouldn't get its shit together, the more likely scenario would be that a small or several small independent groups would attempt to build a space ark while the rest of humanity panics and go mad with pleasure seeking before the end.

February 18, 2011, 02:47:24 AM
And if this happened, of course humanity wouldn't get its shit together, the more likely scenario would be that a small or several small independent groups would attempt to build a space ark while the rest of humanity panics and go mad with pleasure seeking before the end.

Those are the words I was searching for to explain myself. I gave up posting in here because of that. Thanks, buddy.

February 18, 2011, 11:07:54 PM

Again. I disagree.

I live in a part of the world that just got a) flooded b) hit by one of the biggest cyclones in recorded history for this part of the world (category 5, slightly smaller than Katrina.

There was no utter panic up here. Everyone did what they did to save their homes & belongings, went into survival mode when the time came and got started helping each other clean up the mess when the danger had passed etc. About the only people that panicked, made a big drama were the government and the media. I found it enlightening that people who had just lost everything they'd worked their whole lives for just got on with it, and better yet still found the time to help others in their community despite the gloomy nature of the situation.

Do you have anything to add to the contrary?

It's fine for you to stereotype everyone or everything to suit your own small experience of the world (I don't say this in a derogative aspect, I am comparing your experience to the world as a whole) , but if you are only going to offer unfounded hypothesis, then I'm not going to take you very seriously.

Re Conservationalist; this guy has insulted / trolled on the internet for as along as I can remember. Honestly, I don't think a bit of banter is going to put him out of shape. It's cool he can look after himself.

PS: I also didn't insult him personally. I insulted his behaviour in linking an article that included 'armchair hysteria.' I have no control over the way he acted. My post had some information, his second did not (just solely existed to rail-road me because he felt butt-hurt).

February 19, 2011, 03:56:05 AM

I don't think you understood the context of his post. The post itself doesn't seem to aim for a technical debate regarding the Japanese Scientists and there findings. I believe he made himself clear with the quoted statement above....

February 19, 2011, 04:08:31 AM
The hurricane comparison is invalid because 1) we've experienced powerful cyclones before in recorded history - I yawned through four in succession one summer with 16 consecutive days no utilities 2) powerful terrestrial cyclones have never obliterated all life.

February 19, 2011, 06:20:28 AM
Perhaps a pinned thread for science news would be useful.

February 19, 2011, 06:34:16 AM
The hurricane comparison is invalid because 1) we've experienced powerful cyclones before in recorded history - I yawned through four in succession one summer with 16 consecutive days no utilities 2) powerful terrestrial cyclones have never obliterated all life.
I am sorry. I shouldn't be talking about things that have actually happened.

I forgot that this is a thread for idle speculation that is about as far from reality as possible.

There is more chance of a meteor crashing into earth and destroying life.