Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Schubert String Quartet #14 - let's compare two interpretations

I've posted two interpretations of Schubert's Death and the Maiden Quartet (#14) in audiofile.

I'll focus on quartet #14 to narrow the discussion. I hope you will listen to both versions, and join in with your own thoughts on the matter.

I got the Takács recording first, a couple of weeks ago. My initial impression was that they played very energetically, even forcefully at times. However, I felt that they glossed over some elements by favouring  a "long line" approach to interpretation, where the musical figures (short patterns of notes) are not given individual importance but are instead strung together in a more legato fashion to put into focus the overarching musical phrase.

In contrast, I first heard the Melos recording today. While the sound is not as clear and distinct, and the energy level is not as intense, I like how they give each musical figure its own emphasis. In the first movement in particular, the slower tempo and the distinctiveness of each figure let the music breathe more, and give the intense moments more gravity. And the emphasis on individual figures doesn't seem to weaken the sense of the overarching musical phrase, which leads me to conclude that there is indeed something lost in the Takács interpretation.

Since the Melos Quartett recording is very new to me, I'll listen to the two some more in the next few days to see how my thoughts evolve.

Any thoughts?

I am listening to this for the first time and wondering why I have never heard of this great opus before; must be my Hinterwäldlertum. It might take a few days until I have any worthwhile thoughts to share, though.

Oh, what a lovely, delicate second movement...

Thank you for calling my attention to this!
Whatever you honor above all things, that which you so honor will have dominion over you.

It might be more interesting to compare a good modern recording with a pre-WWII recording - Alban Berg (live) and Busch would be my picks.