Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

New MORBID ANGEL Album to be Released on 6/2/11

I think that could be said for the entire heavy metal genre, and if that's going to start a "Yeah, metal is totally stupid but temporarily does good things,' debate then I'm just going to turn on some Beethoven and wash my hands of the issue.

In better news, Earache is also about to reissue the first four albums on vinyl.
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

If you wish to know the state of death metal at any point in time, you need look no further than the state of Morbid Angel.

Mike Browning on David Vincent:

OK people I think I should finally speak up about this whole mess!!! When I was in Morbid Angel back in 1986, the first time I ever met David Vincent he was wearing a gold right side up cross earring and a red, white and blue hockey shirt and I knew he was a poser and I have known all along that David has always been in Morbid Angel for the money and not because he is truly into what Morbid Angel stood for when Trey and I started the band. So really what you have here is David doing what he really likes and has liked all along or he would have never quit the band in the first place! Wake up people Morbid are ONLY back together for the MONEY!

No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

holy fuck that was hilarious!
He who fears the dark, shall never see the light
http://www.last.fm/user/Beastofsodom

MORBID ANGEL: 'Illud Divinum Insanus' First-Week Sales Revealed - June 15, 2011

"Illud Divinum Insanus", the new album from Florida-based extreme metal veterans MORBID ANGEL, sold around 3,600 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 141. The effort marks MORBID ANGEL's first CD to feature bassist/vocalist David Vincent since 1995's "Domination".

MORBID ANGEL's previous album, "Heretic", opened with around 3,900 units back in October 2003. That CD has shifted 31,000 copies to date, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

"Domination" has sold 99,000 units so far while 1993's "Covenant" which was MORBID ANGEL's first major-label release through Giant Records has shifted nearly 153,000 copies to date, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

"We have grown out of the moniker of death metal. We call ourselves extreme music. There are too many boxes to put it in so many descriptors! We play extreme music and it encompasses everything from incredibly fast and articulate fretboard gymnastics to the sickest, most moaning of riffs, to the usual things we do. We take it for a twist."

lol

Source.

Mike Browning on David Vincent:

OK people I think I should finally speak up about this whole mess!!! When I was in Morbid Angel back in 1986, the first time I ever met David Vincent he was wearing a gold right side up cross earring and a red, white and blue hockey shirt and I knew he was a poser and I have known all along that David has always been in Morbid Angel for the money and not because he is truly into what Morbid Angel stood for when Trey and I started the band. So really what you have here is David doing what he really likes and has liked all along or he would have never quit the band in the first place! Wake up people Morbid are ONLY back together for the MONEY!

This also jibes with comments I have personally heard a number of folks from the old days make. Just like another very famous, now deceased individual whose name has been dragged - often mercilessly - through the mud over the years here at ANUS...they were d-bags from the start! It happens...

This also jibes with comments I have personally heard a number of folks from the old days make. Just like another very famous, now deceased individual whose name has been dragged - often mercilessly - through the mud over the years here at ANUS...they were d-bags from the start! It happens...

I doubt it's that clear, but one thing's for sure, which is that you see what people are made of as they age.

David Vincent copped his act from Necrovore's Jon Deplachet (spelling is wrong). It's a good thing he did, too, because Necrovore flaked out even worse than Possessed.

Someone needed to take over from Slayer as "most extreme and yet also good music." Any fucking idiot can win most extreme alone. Just bang on trash can lids and scream African-American African-American African-American while you shred open strings and muted E.

Early death metal had no heroes and none that could really play well. Morbid Angel were formed from a moment of time, for three albums, and ever since paying attention to them has been a waste of time.

Even bands like Atheist have put out huge pieces of shit. "Jupiter" is a crass pile of stupid. Surely they aren't fooled by it.

Did you hear the most recent Pestilence? It's like Job For a Cowboy radikulting while trying to be an old school metal band. Ouchies.

^

No disagreement Conservationist. I was simply pointing out that this trend of folks from the old days, sometimes even in bands we admire a great deal, who were essentially oddballs, tools and "posers" from the outset isn't exactly a fact unknown to most who were there - and yes, time does indeed have a way of fully exposing this phenomenon in a most extravagant way, ie. Vincent's laughable, though painful "Evil-D" persona, and his apparent metamorphosis into Nikki Six II.  

Mr. "Azagtoth" is a well known flake as well, so none of this should be all that surprising to anyone who has followed MA's career for any length of time.

The point is simply that - not only should no one be surprised at the junk that is this new album, but they should, in essence, have expected nothing else.

MORBID ANGEL: 'Illud Divinum Insanus' First-Week Sales Revealed - June 15, 2011

"Illud Divinum Insanus", the new album from Florida-based extreme metal veterans MORBID ANGEL, sold around 3,600 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 141. The effort marks MORBID ANGEL's first CD to feature bassist/vocalist David Vincent since 1995's "Domination".

MORBID ANGEL's previous album, "Heretic", opened with around 3,900 units back in October 2003. That CD has shifted 31,000 copies to date, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

"Domination" has sold 99,000 units so far while 1993's "Covenant" which was MORBID ANGEL's first major-label release through Giant Records has shifted nearly 153,000 copies to date, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

is a 3600 sales figure considered good now or what?  given how album sales are nearly non-existent for anything that isn't pop anymore, I would think moving only 300 fewer units in the first week than in 2003 - a time when, comparatively speaking, album sales were still a relevant metric - is probably a big victory for these losers.  

I doubt it's that clear, but one thing's for sure, which is that you see what people are made of as they age.

David Vincent copped his act from Necrovore's Jon Deplachet (spelling is wrong). It's a good thing he did, too, because Necrovore flaked out even worse than Possessed.

Someone needed to take over from Slayer as "most extreme and yet also good music." Any fucking idiot can win most extreme alone. Just bang on trash can lids and scream African-American African-American African-American while you shred open strings and muted E.

Early death metal had no heroes and none that could really play well. Morbid Angel were formed from a moment of time, for three albums, and ever since paying attention to them has been a waste of time.

Even bands like Atheist have put out huge pieces of shit. "Jupiter" is a crass pile of stupid. Surely they aren't fooled by it.

Did you hear the most recent Pestilence? It's like Job For a Cowboy radikulting while trying to be an old school metal band. Ouchies.

although I am loathe to apply relativism to music, none of the other bands you mentioned have come close to anything as disastrous as III.  Slayer is (rightfully so) excoriated frequently for its forays into Panteradom, but at least they did so at a time when that stuff was considered a viable commodity.  Morbid Angel co-opted a genre that's within minutes of seeing the final nail in its coffin.  The fact that the husband of a member of the Genitorturers is telling people he's in the most extreme band of the world after they put out a bunch of second-rate Slipknot and KMFDM covers is even more depressing than if they were trying to sound like Job For a Cowboy.  This new Morbid Angel fails not only because it's unlistenable tripe but because it illustrates that the band members have completely lost touch with reality.  it may very well be the worst album I've ever heard.

absolutely love your comment about age being a valid barometer of one's worth btw.  on a related note, and I can't recall if I said it here or on some other forum, I've long held that one of the biggest reason so many bands suck is that they simply have no idea of when to walk away.  in these instances, we're subjected to the nauseatingly tedious "maturity" of the artist, which translates as an angry and hunger young person translating to a biiter and fat old person.  I've hardly ever heard anything of value come from the latter.  there is something to be said for music creation as the exclusive domain of the young; I fail to understand why any of us should be subjected to the growth and identity crises of a total stranger, particularly when those processes yield nothing but boring results.  the reality is that when most of these dopes hang around long enough to get old, we learn that they've lost whatever dynamism they had, replacing it with "values" and "perspective."  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Re: New MORBID ANGEL Album to be Released on 6/2/11
September 26, 2011, 12:16:41 AM
Finally, someone put this album to good use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0PT_YgrgmM

September 26, 2011, 05:45:26 AM
Finally, someone put this album to good use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0PT_YgrgmM

I just listened to this album for the first time because of your post. I was expecting it to be bad, but holy shit...

September 26, 2011, 05:26:46 PM

Can we please turn "radikulting" into a word filter around here? I don't know what for but damn it that word is brilliant hahaha.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.