Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Old Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon, and Kvist.

I have no idea why you would lump old Emperor in with these bands.  Aside from the fact that the keyboards were a bit high in the mix on ITNE, that band's pre-Anthems material was some seriously feral and vicious stuff.  The fact that people remember Emperor as this effete, melodramatic band is one of the great travesties in the history of the genre.  Even ITNE is an incredibly bestial album; it just gets its reputation because people hear keyboards (and sung vocals on "Inno a Satana") and instantly think of bands like Summoning or the more "goffick" bands that pretend to be black metal.  And, of course, their material prior to that needs no explanation.

Gehenna's first two

Forgot about them, as well. yes, their first album is quite lovely and melodramatic BUT each song sounds more or less the same.

Good call on Avzhia. However, you also forgot to include later Graveland and early Enslaved.

Here are some other key additions to the romantic, key board lush, medieval style of BM:

Kataxu "Hunger of Elements"
Setherial "Nord"
Nagelfar (Ger)
early Lucifugum
The last few from Legion of Doom (Greece!)
Blazemth
Nocternity

DISCLAIMER: none of these come even remotely close to touching early Emperor! But they are still excellent releases.

Also I have heard good things about Aeternus which seems to be in a similar style to "melodramatic BM" as you put it.
I must be absent minded this week. Nord is a great one and they do indeed take much influence on early Emperor as their Faust-like drumming is qutie evident. I should mention the keys as well. Legion of Blood? I only have Kingdom of Endless darkness, wanst bad got to check out the resst

You guys seem to like Avzhia's return album quite a lot. Good! Those guys, as you can tell, worship the early Norwegian scene, their demo for instance! Avzhia's kind of a copy cat but fuck, they do it quite well, and soungds good.

Key point is: I'm looking for, I guess, the old style Faust-type drumming, cheesy Roamantic vibes, etc, in a bands and right now, I'm just a little bored and trying to discover any bands that might have gone over my head. That's all! So, thanks for your responses.

Later graveland? Really? Get the fuck out of here.

However, their last 6 releases are the best when pumping some iron!

Bal-Sagoth - A Black Moon Broods Over Lemuria

Bal-Sa

No.  Get out.

Really I get this from the guy who can support Dragonforce's first album...?  A Black Moon Broods Over Lemuria is great. Re-listen to it.

Gehenna's first two are probably better than all of them, except early Emperor and Avzhia's "The Key of Throne". Sammath's first album is okay. Can't say I've found (or looked) for anything similar of any quality unless you want to throw Summoning in there.

The first half of the first Gehenna album is fucking lovely but all the songs have the same god dang beat and it turned out to be a bad thing for me. In the end, it didn't live up to Hordanes Land split cd, the first Dimmu Borgir, etc.

Sammath I've never heard (or at least I don't think I have). But will go on youtube just now..

Gehenna's first two are probably better than all of them, except early Emperor and Avzhia's "The Key of Throne". Sammath's first album is okay. Can't say I've found (or looked) for anything similar of any quality unless you want to throw Summoning in there.

In the end, it didn't live up to Hordanes Land split cd, the first Dimmu Borgir, etc.

To me, the second spell " Seen through the veils of darkness" does.

All other candidates to the same club have been mentioned already as far as I know, exept an ITNE cloning-worshipping band named SIRIUS (they are on Nocturnal art productions indeed, Samoth's label) They are "excesively dramatic and  romantic black metal" without doubt, so they may fulfill what you're looking for, but they are clones, although pretty competent

Key point is: I'm looking for, I guess, the old style Faust-type drumming, cheesy Roamantic vibes, etc, in a bands and right now, I'm just a little bored and trying to discover any bands that might have gone over my head. That's all! So, thanks for your responses.

After reading this (That I hadn't before answering) I think you should definitely check SIRIUS "Aeons of Magick" and "Espectral transition- Dimension Sirius" They also have "the Eclipse" demo, but I haven't listened to it.

In the 2nd album, Faust plays drums in two tracks, Samoth plays Bass in "the majesty of the nightsky" cover (bonus track) and Daemon (Zyklon) puts some vocals too

The first half of the first Gehenna album is fucking lovely but all the songs have the same god dang beat and it turned out to be a bad thing for me.

It's never bothered me. If it was stretched out over an hour or something I could see it dragging on, but I find it to be the perfect length and never an unrewarding listen. It's not A+++ Super A-Grade Champion Perfect Vision of the Universe Metal, but it's a damn good work.

Bal-Sa

No.  Get out.

Really I get this from the guy who can support Dragonforce's first album...?  A Black Moon Broods Over Lemuria is great. Re-listen to it.

Like and support are two different things.  For what it is (cheesy Power Metal), Valley of the Damned is hilarious and awesome.  All Bal-Sagoth is crap.

Legion of Doom

Recommended - Wrath of the Tyrant, In the Nightside Eclipse,Anthems to welkin... (sort of )  Stormblast, Dark Medieval Times and  Nemesis Divina  (no idea about Kvist)

Even ITNE is an incredibly bestial album; it just gets its reputation because people hear keyboards (and sung vocals on "Inno a Satana") and instantly think of bands like Summoning or the more "goffick" bands that pretend to be black metal. 
Summoning is  awsome in its own right and quite distinct from Emperor's music