Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Crust Punk

Dunkelheit

Crust Punk
July 24, 2006, 01:15:20 PM
I find this genre very intriguing. I especially like the band Amebix. What are some other good crust punk bands?

I think anus should add punk to the archives considering how much influence it has had on many metal styles and all the crossover acts.

Re: Crust Punk
July 24, 2006, 02:33:25 PM
Doom.

July 25, 2006, 12:32:02 AM
IWhat are some other good crust punk bands?

Discharge
Neurosis
Absurd

July 25, 2006, 02:37:54 AM
i liked Extreme Noise Terror, "holocaust in your head". it is early grindcore with a crust influence.

July 25, 2006, 04:56:01 PM
Crust Grind too is good, SABU, regurgitate, dystopia, toxic narcotic are all the genre you look for

September 23, 2006, 09:36:15 AM
No.

I love crust punk and what I'd have to say is this: don't bother listening to it except the three best bands. Everyone who came afterwards was an imitator. This is not dissimilar to the way black metal produced now is worse than Emperor's shittiest album.

Neurosis, Amebix, and Discharge.

That's all you need to know. Maybe Crass, but musically, they're pretty uninspiring.

What killed punk was "me too" bands like The Dead Kennedys and all the Fugazi and Discharge clones.

July 01, 2013, 06:57:02 PM
No.

I love crust punk and what I'd have to say is this: don't bother listening to it except the three best bands. Everyone who came afterwards was an imitator. This is not dissimilar to the way black metal produced now is worse than Emperor's shittiest album.

That's all you need to know. Maybe Crass, but musically, they're pretty uninspiring.

What killed punk was "me too" bands like The Dead Kennedys and all the Fugazi and Discharge clones.

Ummmm.... What about Nausea, Deviated Instinct and His Hero Is Gone?

July 02, 2013, 04:14:36 AM
I like Amebix and Discharge. Amebix sounds kind of like Bathory with a socio-political rather than spiritual agenda. Will have to check out Neurosis.

July 04, 2013, 05:36:55 PM
Ignore Anti-Racism's post, there's more good crust than that. Damn this is an old thread.

This thread seems to have covered most of the essentials. In addition to what has already been mentioned (minus HHIG, avoid them) other worthy bands to investigate are:

Doom (UK)
Extreme Noise Terror
Disfear
Hellbastard
Wolfpack (optionally Wolfbrigade too but they're not as good, too melodic)
Antisect
MG 15

It's a limited genre. Most of the best stuff is late 80s/early 90s - as with metal.

July 05, 2013, 04:38:30 AM
No.

Thanks, I like Amebix!

July 05, 2013, 02:36:29 PM
What Neurosis is worth listening to? I've only heard Through Silver in Blood and some subsequent releases.

July 05, 2013, 05:55:22 PM
What Neurosis is worth listening to? I've only heard Through Silver in Blood and some subsequent releases.

"Pain of Mind" is pretty badass. Sort of like a more bassy, proggy Discharge. "Souls At Zero" is good too.

July 06, 2013, 03:09:26 PM
Ignore Anti-Racism's post, there's more good crust than that. Damn this is an old thread.

This thread seems to have covered most of the essentials. In addition to what has already been mentioned (minus HHIG, avoid them) other worthy bands to investigate are:

Doom (UK)
Extreme Noise Terror
Disfear
Hellbastard
Wolfpack (optionally Wolfbrigade too but they're not as good, too melodic)
Antisect
MG 15

It's a limited genre. Most of the best stuff is late 80s/early 90s - as with metal.

why would you avoid them? "Monuments To Thieves" is a classic for the genre.

July 06, 2013, 06:50:44 PM

They're terrible at playing their instruments, but the way they compose most of their songs is pretty interesting. A lot of them develop beyond the normal punk song structure. I would recommend them to fans of crust.

July 06, 2013, 11:25:59 PM
why would you avoid them? "Monuments To Thieves" is a classic for the genre.

Really? I don't hear it talked about as much as "Arise!", "Police Bastard" or "Soul Scars". Even "Heading For Internal Darkness" and "A Holocaust In Your Head" are more prolific.

HHIG combines the melodic sensibilities of a Hydrahead or Deathwish type metalcore/hardcore band with grind and crust elements. I really don't like those two elements together, they contrast too much. Discordance Axis/Gridlink, Integrity, and Extreme Noise Terror were the only good punk related bands on any of those labels. Sooo much copycat hardcore it's just annoying.

HHIG doesn't have ugly melody either, for me it's more saccharine. Crust needs a dirty, loose edge that the polished nature of HHIG doesn't have. I actually don't like Deviated Instinct! But I feel that they're important enough that they should be investigated by any crust fan.

For the record, Crass is worthy. Don't like the chick singer much though.