Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Immolation - Harnessing Ruin

Immolation - Harnessing Ruin
December 24, 2004, 06:00:21 PM
At first listen, their most self-confident effort in years. Any other thoughts?

It's on the hub, user "neoclassical."

If I owned a store, I'd play this instead of Christmas music and profit from people fleeing the schmaltz.

Re: Immolation - Harnessing Ruin
December 24, 2004, 08:07:08 PM
It is very musical and is not dumbed down as far as songwriting goes. The solos fit in place seamlessly. If I did have one complaint, it would be that there is a little too much metalcore drumming (I guess that's the nature of NYDM, but this is pushing it a bit).

I'll see what I think about the music after listening to it a few times (I just recieved it now), just so I'm not fooled by first impressions. I have the tendency to be a little more critical of metal when it's this well produced/packaged because I question the motives.

I will say that listening to the other songs has lifted my expectations as I was considerably turned off by the video.

December 25, 2004, 01:28:04 AM
At first listen, their most self-confident effort in years. Any other thoughts?

As there's no use agreeing, my post invalidates itself, but I just have to agree. I loved Unholy Domain, and this song makes me expect even more. Just remember to watch the video eyes shut. The song is the thing you want to see.

-agb

December 25, 2004, 01:54:26 AM
I've only got five songs of it so far (damn 56K), but my reactions are sort of mixed.

The guitar solos are as excellent as ever, and in many ways, they've really taken their dissonant riffing style to new heights.  Also, they seem to use more layers and counterpoint on this one; a change first hinted at on "Unholy Cult".

However, I'm not certain that it succeeds as a whole at quite the same level that FFG, CTAWB, or UC did.  In many ways it seems to be a bit of a mainstream bid that still has some brilliance left; you could say that it's Immolation's "Covenant".  The title-track is a huge simplification from their normal fare, although it is somewhat better than it was on the video, thanks to the vastly improved sound quality; "Dead to Me" features some almost mallcore touches that I'm sure that they'll get away with due to their reputation; the chorus of "Our Savior Sleeps" has an almost rockish bounce to it.  "Swarm of Terror" and "Challenge the Storm" both seem pretty good, though.

So in short- of the five songs I've heard, one is Immolation's attempt at being accessable that somehow is still decent, although not as good as their previous work; two are potent except for some really stupid ideas that are thrown in and really hurt them; and two are typical Immolation, excellent as always.

December 29, 2004, 10:35:03 PM
Currently listening to the album as I type this:

This new drummer is utterly sucking the life out of the music. From the production of his kit, to his lackluster, unimaginative performance.

That said, the melodic construction of this is masterful; Immolation has such a bizaare sense of rhythmic command. This is far from devoid of it's share of brilliant moments, however - this may be a silly thing to nag about, but guys, every single death metal band in existence closes their songs with those abrupt stop-on-a-dime hits. I thought you were better than that.

I'm not going to lie to you: while I'm really enjoying this, the maturity of it's creation and creativity most of all, I see the foreshadowing of decay.

January 02, 2005, 02:21:07 AM
Currently listening to the album as I type this:

This new drummer is utterly sucking the life out of the music. From the production of his kit, to his lackluster, unimaginative performance.

That said, the melodic construction of this is masterful; Immolation has such a bizaare sense of rhythmic command. This is far from devoid of it's share of brilliant moments, however - this may be a silly thing to nag about, but guys, every single death metal band in existence closes their songs with those abrupt stop-on-a-dime hits. I thought you were better than that.

I'm not going to lie to you: while I'm really enjoying this, the maturity of it's creation and creativity most of all, I see the foreshadowing of decay.

You said it best so far. The guitar work is great, but that "greatness" is only achieved by isolating one part of the album, and as a whole, it steadily declines after a week or so of listening to it.

May 12, 2006, 06:40:35 PM
I think they're at the peak of their songwriting ability, having now had this for some months. But, as has been apparent since the second album, they are artistically and aesthetically confused. They don't know what type of death metal to make, so they follow what they know and embellish; this is limiting. They have no gig other than the now tired beating on Christ via democratic symbolism, and that's boring... write about hawk predation instead.

May 12, 2006, 07:27:37 PM
Close to a World Below is the best album they've put out. They reached their peak with that album, and it's been a steady decline since. And yes, their new drummer is limited. And again, their lyrics are as cliched as ever.

The only thing really worth looking for is this new Negativa project from the Gorguts guys. It's sure to make every other death metal band take notice, and notes, while their at it.

May 30, 2006, 06:20:26 PM
One of my favourite Immolation albums.They were surely different in their debut ,but their sound is still amazing..My favourite track is ''Challenge the storm'', it's all the time in my playlist,for months :)

May 30, 2006, 07:24:30 PM
I think for Immolation, this album is their weakest but with that in mind it is still amazing compared to 99% of the stuff out there (which is not a good thing when you think about it).

May 31, 2006, 11:01:27 PM
Way to dig up an old thread...

June 03, 2006, 03:45:05 PM
I like it but as a pop album, in that early Immolation was dense in it's sound and composition. This is way more accessible.

An interesting continuation of their initial style combined with a more modern approach to some of the riffs. One of the better albums of modern times, that's for sure.

June 04, 2006, 04:35:50 AM
That's it, I'm going to listen to Dawn of Possession right this minute! Don't try to stop me!
Conflagrations

Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été.

June 10, 2006, 09:00:39 AM
I don't like it.

Sounds to me like a worse version of Unholy Cult, and I didn't like that much.  Too weak sounding, like Dream Theater almost!!  I don't give a shit if the guitar playing has improved, or whatever, the fact is there is no passion in it.  

I will settle with the first 4

August 05, 2006, 11:35:38 PM
Production is weak; songwriting is strong; I see this CD as a parallel to the latest Celtic Frost: confused style but quality writing that's amazingly actually about something, it seems... where other metal bands write about being metal bands upholding an image the reasons for which they donot (donut) understand.