Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

A Man’s Workout. Work out like wild animal. GRRRRRR

Lots of people work out.

And yet, most of them are fat and weak.

Even the buff gym rats with forearm veins and dancing pecs don’t actually have bodies that are useful for anything other than attracting fake-tanned girls with double-digit IQs. What’s the point in spending 10 hours per week in the gym if you can’t swim a lap, throw a punch, or even climb a friggin tree?

These people all have the same problem: They aren’t working out like men.

http://freedomtwentyfive.wordpress.com/2011/03/06/a-mans-workout/

Frost has the right idea. Adapt the whole body to extremes and challenges in the environment. Don't adopt gym techniques to select parts while neglected the rest of the animal.

I was lucky enough to be introduced to compound exercises on the day that I started going to the gym.  I've never understood isolation exercises - there is no action in the real world which would require the strength of a single muscle group.  Someone once tried to tell me that isolation exercises were good for addressing balance issues, but that makes no sense - if there's a particular muscle group which is lacking, then that muscle group will fail faster and, as a result, grow faster, than others.

On a similar note, far too many people are self-conscious in the gym (probably because most of them are there to get "fit" or "in shape", and not to get physically stronger).  I think many of them don't exert themselves to the degree that would actually be beneficial because they're afraid that they might grunt, gasp, shout, froth, spit, etc. (which is something you just don't do in public, is it?  Hurr durr).  Either that or they're just shallow morons who put in some (i.e. minimal) effort so that they can say "yeah, I go to the gym".

So the author is a powerlifter right? Typical insecure-powerlifter argument against bodybuilding. His argument is like this "i see weak/fat people doing isolation exercises, therefore isolation exercises make you weak/fat".

You do isolation excercises because you want to make your muscles grow more because you can isolate the movement to a single (or group) of muscles.

What's the point of bodybuilding in the first place?  Surely the aim of any training should be practical rather than aesthetic.

I like this thread.  When i was younger i spent alot of time in between breaks at school pumping weights in the gym.  I thought i was becoming a pretty tough guy.  Once i started kickboxing i was wrong.  my muscles may have been big but they were just puffed out and not actually trained to much of anything.  After i realised i was pretty much a big wimp i dropped the daily muscle building and spent more time training the actual muscle to do things.  Chin ups and pull ups are excellent because your putting everything from the waist up in some seriously strenious exercise.  I recommend the IRON GYM portable chin up bar, its great and its only about 40 bucks.  Lifting your knees to your chest while suspended in the air....fuckin tears your core. Get someone to step on your abs or punch them while your doing crunches. Jogging is important but dont dilly dally by not pushing yourself. i sprint before between and after runs.  Beating the shit out of a boxing bag is also a great way to train your arms.  Its also good to have a buddy workout with you, so you dont have any urge to puss out. Then once your done go beat each other up.    MIGHT IS RIGHT!

So the author is a powerlifter right? Typical insecure-powerlifter argument against bodybuilding. His argument is like this "i see weak/fat people doing isolation exercises, therefore isolation exercises make you weak/fat".

You do isolation excercises because you want to make your muscles grow more because you can isolate the movement to a single (or group) of muscles.

Typical, anal ANUS poster. Way too much anal, and you still need to loosen up. The animal man is clearly defining a trend of useless workout sessions among weak people.

Then once your done go beat each other up.

The problem I find with this is that all of the people I know bar two or three are terrified of experiencing any pain at all (which might account for their not doing anything proper at the gym).  I'd love to get some kind of "fight club"-esque boxing/martial arts group going, if only because it's better to learn to fight by fighting than it is to learn by going through set exercises and combinations.  I might just go out and hit random strangers.

Ya i remember actually back in highschool we tried to get the fightclub thing going on.  The problem with most people is they get too personal over fighting which is a problem if you all want to advance, and get that great feeling out of a fight.

I wouldnt go out ever looking for a fight, but there is one easy way to get some asshole to start a fight with you...  I would suggest going to a bar with a gorgeous girl who is really into you  <<<< this really pisses off those loser regulars who spend their weeknights trying to get a one night stand.  If that doesnt work, bring one more girl.  Guaranteed your gonna be doing some brawling.  I would suggest learning how to disarm knives from your opponents.

The best exercise is to crawl around the woods with a weapon (rifle/sword/bow) during hunting season while wearing brown.  Staying low and concealed with your weapon always at the ready is quite strenuous plus you get the added thrill of possibly being shot at.  It also exercises your hearing - pay attention to the birds to figure out where people are, etc - and your smell - you can smell a smoker a long goddamn way away, among other things - sight, as well as muscles.  Backpacking is great, I go year round and can always see added muscled mass pretty much everywhere when I get back from trips.  Backpacking is also great because you tend to hurt yourself and you have to live with it (aside from any mendicants you can physically carry in or find!)... scrapes, bites, cuts, burns.  Your hands especially get pretty torn up.   There is no escape from the pain you have to work with it or nothing gets done.
The Marine recruiters told me to chop wood and swim laps every day to get ready for bootcamp.  I hate swimming, but choppin' is damn fine fun and damn good excersice.

Backpacking is great, I go year round and can always see added muscled mass pretty much everywhere when I get back from trips.

I agree.  Works out core and back, and depending on the weight, your thighs.  Great for your posture as well.  Speaking of backpacking i gotta start planning a little 3 day or so excursion into the mountains. I live in British Columbia i should just be living in the glorious wilderness.

Then once your done go beat each other up.

The problem I find with this is that all of the people I know bar two or three are terrified of experiencing any pain at all (which might account for their not doing anything proper at the gym).  I'd love to get some kind of "fight club"-esque boxing/martial arts group going, if only because it's better to learn to fight by fighting than it is to learn by going through set exercises and combinations.  I might just go out and hit random strangers.

I can suggest martial arts, but with real-life application via contact sparring.

Backpacking is great, I go year round and can always see added muscled mass pretty much everywhere when I get back from trips.

I agree.  Works out core and back, and depending on the weight, your thighs.  Great for your posture as well.  Speaking of backpacking i gotta start planning a little 3 day or so excursion into the mountains. I live in British Columbia i should just be living in the glorious wilderness.

You are truly blessed in your location, sir.  Beautiful country.  I must admit, I harbour a secret lust for the military conquest of B.C. in a quest for "Amerikanische Lebensraum."  If only there were oil under it, hehe.

I should spar with a friend of mine who did Jae Kwon Do for a few years (I did kickboxing), but our daily routines seem to clash horrendously.  Ah well, c'est la vie.

I'm starting "Hessian Soc" at my University, and part of what we're going to do is learn survival techniques and try to apply them in the deep, dark woods.  We'll probably end up doing three day long excursions over weekends.  A couple of people I know up here in Scotland practically live in the forest, anyway, and there are mountains everywhere, so there's hardly a dearth of locations to choose from.  Eventually, we might turn it into week/fortnight/month long excursions over the summer, as we get older/more experienced.  Perhaps we'll incorporate a similar kind of exercise to what you suggest, Gefechtsgruppe.

Also, Parasite, I didn't know you live in British Columbia.  The UK Hessians I know are planning on moving there once we have our assorted degrees/qualifications/other necessities tied up.  Whereabouts do you live?

Im from Vancouver.  I didnt appreciate this province until i was about....16 years old and did a 10 day hike through the mountains with a group.  Yes it is a fine place to live indeed.  Where are you fellas thinking of moving to?

Probably Vancouver to start with, then ever outwards.  We're aiming for relative isolation - a separate, Hessian community.  Maybe it's a pipe dream, but it's a goal to work towards.