Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Reinkaos

Reinkaos
March 17, 2011, 12:47:33 AM
any thoughts about this Dissection album?

Re: Reinkaos
March 17, 2011, 02:06:56 AM
You could provide us your reaction to the album, or a brief review. That would avoid the not very metal passivity and get the topic going.

March 17, 2011, 06:36:53 AM
Scourge, maybe the guy hasn't heard it.  In which case, his thread best get moved to the one called "Seeking Opinions?":
http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,41.375.html

March 18, 2011, 12:36:15 AM
I have not yet listened to the entire album .  Just a few songs on youtube.  My understanding is that it is a death metal album, and I am far from an expert on death metal.  The Red in the Sky is Ours is the only death metal album that I have enjoyed so far, and I have listented to all of the anus.com top 10.

Dissection is a fairly well known band.  I was surprised to find no mention of Reinkaos when I searched anus.com.  Seems that good or bad it should be discussion worthy.  The man produced two top quality black metal albums, had a face tattoo, accessorized a murder, and made a ceremonial suicide...

March 18, 2011, 03:36:39 AM
The man produced two top quality black metal albums

That is important.

had a face tattoo, accessorized a murder, and made a ceremonial suicide...

This is unimportant.

March 18, 2011, 12:15:33 PM
If you want a basic distillation of this album's content, I'll provide one to the best of my ability.

I don't know if it's the whole becoming more "spiritual" in prison thing, but Reinkaos is seriously underwhelming. The songs are written in a Soilwork/In Flames type mold and do not really deviate from this pattern. Notvedt, being the gifted guitarist he is, has a good sense of melody and craftsmanship, so even these boring Gothenburg-y songs are far better than most of what is similar. However this does not excuse the perceived laziness of the writing on this album. Each song is unbearably predictable, to the point that if you've heard one, you've heard em all. Really the only distinguishing factor of any of the songs is their tempo, which puts them at a higher variance than your average Discharge clone, but I digress.

Bottom line; like Conservationist once said, this is a smart band dumbing down their music to reach a wider audience. I can't say I particularly blame Mr. Notvedt, as perhaps he had some debts to pay off, but why release this borefest? He just offed himself later that year anyway. Maybe it was just a troll?
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

March 18, 2011, 12:36:43 PM

this is a smart band dumbing down their music to reach a wider audience.

We like to categorize it as this, but I really do not think that is the motivation. Most of all metal musicians of the "golden eras" grew up living and breathing rock and roll music (the outliers being Burzum and Beherit). They underwent a burst of creativity in their youth, exploring progressive structures and unearthly atmospheres, and then went back to playing and enjoying what was most at home with them - rock n' roll. And in their eyes, it was all "just the same".

I seriously doubt cynicism is at fault in the case of many declining bands, and especially not with Dissection. When cynicism is at fault, it's usually totally transparent (Dimmu Borgir, At The Gates).

March 22, 2011, 02:51:45 AM
any thoughts about this Dissection album?

It had very little if any musical connection to the old dissection albums, so I dont like to think of it as a 'dissection' album.  Dissection's old albums were revolutionary for black metal.  

Reinkaos was a decent dark 80's sounding metal album with well crafted lyrics, but no where near to being on par with the song writing of the old dissection.

The old dissection used the dark chord patterns and blast beats of black metal, some hints of death metal riffing,  poetic lyric writing, unique clean guitar interludes, dark melodies, while maintaining a vicious mood.
Reinkaos had dark chord patterns at times, but seemed to have more 80's metal style riffing, and nothing that made me easily think of black metal or death metal (aside from the vocals and lyrics).  The mood of Reinkaos was epic but also cheesy, and certainly not vicious.

so my take on it is basically that reinkaos was mediocre,
while old dissection was absolutely amazing.

March 23, 2011, 12:45:01 PM
_______ had dark chord patterns at times, but seemed to have more 80's metal style riffing, and nothing that made me easily think of black metal or death metal (aside from the vocals and lyrics).  The mood of _______ was epic but also cheesy, and certainly not vicious.

so my take on it is basically that ______ was mediocre,
while old ______ was absolutely amazing.
I wonder how many comeback albums from old Metal bands can fit in this template

March 25, 2011, 11:43:47 PM
such a horrible album... good riddance !!

March 27, 2011, 03:37:57 AM
I prefer the first two albums when they were actually chaotic, less polished. The single is pretty good. The Where Dead Angels Lie ep is gold plus it has the classic Tormentor cover

April 03, 2011, 01:09:41 AM
The purists will rip apart Reinkaos but they hate everything. The truth in my eyes is that this is a quality album with a very intresting take on where it is that black metal can go. This album seems to be a kind of throw back to 70's rock sounding albums which is a great thing. Great guitar melodies and a laid back drum part with drumming suited not for extreme drumming butt only to outline the accents of the powerful guitar parts. I personal love Reinkaos Its like a black metal guitar album the ony thing to compare it to is the Ihsahn records after the breakup of Emperor. Their are a few standout tracks maha kali and black dragon come to mind those song kick ass.

April 11, 2011, 03:41:29 AM
melodies are stronger than any other dissections album, less influenced by johns main intrest "death" probably because he already planned his end ahead and felt like wants to give something more cult to his music, lyrics are all translations of  Liber Azerate and the TOBL prayers, you can feel thier energy just by listening to it, one of the best albums in the melodic death gernre ever..
RIC JOHN