Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Japan triple-catastrophe

Japan triple-catastrophe
March 17, 2011, 01:05:06 AM
Yes I'm sure you like that I used the 'triple-catastrophe' media headline!

Anyways, this is obviously a huge event, so I figured a thread about it could be worth sharing. What do you think about what's happening in Japan?

Personally, something that interests me a bit about it is the meta-politics of talking about the whole issue, with regards to how taboo it is to in the slightest way make light of or otherwise transgress against Japan's present concerns. Personally I don't get offended by someone breaking this taboo, unless I think the person is doing it in a really asinine way, like if they're actually ignorant in the first place that there's a taboo about it, or unless the person is specifically trying to harm the feelings of others, not for any subversive counter-culture aim but just to take joy in the suffering of the people who take offense to his words.

Also I have to be impressed with how there's no looting or anything taking place, in obvious contrast to prior disasters like Katrina in the USA. I don't sympathize with many of the philosophical beliefs underpinning the Japanese culture, however I do recognize that although it's not my path it's still a valid path for those who have more right-leaning preferences or dispositions, and I can definitely appreciate the beauty of some of their culture's facets even though I wouldn't necessarily want to live in that culture myself. Heh, at the same time it's easy for a culture like Japan's to look good considering the other cultures in the world today that it could be compared to, so in this respect it's sort of a little breath of fresh air on a superficial level.

On a political level, I think it's unfortunate Japan's case may stall future development of nuclear energy in other counties. Japan's nuclear system is far more advanced that Chernobyl, but it's still pretty old and lacks many safety features included in newer systems.

Re: Japan triple-catastrophe
March 17, 2011, 03:16:00 AM
I like your points about the lack of looting etc.  In my knowledge (and minor experience), crime is a lot lower in Japan than it is in the West, very likely as a result of Japan's general ethnic and cultural homogeneity, and the monopoly over crime held by organised crime groups (Yakuza) rather than less professional gangs such as you might find in the West.  Japan is one of the few countries which managed to retain something of a sense of self after modernisation, perhaps because their Nationalism was able to permeate the culture itself during that period of modernisation.

March 17, 2011, 10:47:43 AM
I think one of the articles I've read about the recent catastrophe in Japan put it best when it stated: "The Japanese prepare themselves not in case it might happen but prepare themselves knowing it will happen" Japan has more references to total destruction in their popular media (movies, mangas) than any other culture. They are highly prepared for events such as this, after Hiroshima and Nagasaki it's become part of their culture. Along with the indigenous culture of Japan, where honor is revered more than life, this creates a society where people deal with adversity much more healthy and calm than the "me first and the gimme gimmies" type of people we breed in the west.

It suggests that a nation of black and death metal fans wouldn't riot and loot either in an event like this. Well, if we exclude the phonies and trendies of course.

Which brings us to the next argument which was already explained by Cargest, Japan has a very homogenized culture and as a result people feel much more connected to each other than we do in the west. When there's a riot in the west there's always a few buildings that remain untouched and those are usually the shops belonging to the local merchants. Other buildings, especially those that reek of "outsider authorities" such as McDonalds or big banks are favorite targets of vandals and looters. What Cargest said about crime in Japan is probably true too.

The Dutch can also be proud of how we handled the North Sea flood of 1953 (which also affected the UK) because there were no riots then either, just many people volunteering to help, massive international help and a queen and princess who visited the devastated area just one day after the floods, other royalty followed soon after. That was the last natural disaster in the Netherlands that cost many lives (over 1800 people drowned, 100.000 people lost their houses) Since then the Dutch have built the delta works which protect us from the raging sea.

If a catastrophe would happen now there might be riots, but there might also not be. While students in the UK and elsewhere were rioting because of rising tuition fees the students in the Netherlands politely asked if they could have the day off so they could protest against our rising tuition fees. Only five people were arrested and charged for disorderly conduct during the student protest on the 21st of January despite antifa having publicly tried to incite riots and despite police using excessive force to disperse crowds.

March 17, 2011, 11:25:20 AM
Our "students" are disgusting specimens of humanity, for the mostpart.  They're wholly unconcerned about anything besides themselves or their image - if it's cool, they'll do it, and they'll spend most of their time pretending that that's not what they're doing.  They really are deep, intelligent beings who feel really, really bad about Haiti and Japan and all of that crap and they want to make a difference so they'll march on government buildings trying to force the government to make a difference because that's their job, right?

"Education for the masses" is a stupid idea.  The masses don't need educating, they need work to do.

March 17, 2011, 12:56:55 PM

"Education for the masses" is a stupid idea.  The masses don't need educating, they need work to do.

It is for this reason that the US and West would do well to emphasize an education that emphasizes a lifelong craft or trade (preferably inherited), rather than the current "do what you love" (opposed to a "love what you do") philosophy. Countries that are more known for this, like Japan, and to a lesser extent Germany, are known for their comparatively greater cultural integrity - a minor example being Japan's void of looting - and the high dedication to quality that can be found in the numerous examples of machine exports for which these countries are famous (virtually any type of electronic device, vehicle, or non-acoustic musical instrument).

March 17, 2011, 08:55:41 PM
I hope Galhammer and Cataplexy folks are not dead at this occasion !

March 17, 2011, 09:55:38 PM
I hope they are.  Those are two of the shittest bands I've ever heard, right there.

March 18, 2011, 10:18:45 AM
On a political level, I think it's unfortunate Japan's case may stall future development of nuclear energy in other counties. Japan's nuclear system is far more advanced that Chernobyl, but it's still pretty old and lacks many safety features included in newer systems.

I agree. There should be some room for nuclear energy and being afraid of technology is suffering from a caveman mentality. But there are currently 104 nuclear reactors in the USA and they only generate 20% of the electricity America uses. That means you would need 520 nuclear reactors to supply America with all the electricity it uses, and by the time you have built 520 nuclear reactors the energy consumed will have probably doubled if not tripled. Not to mention all the depleted uranium that has to be exported to third world countries and manufactured into products such as aircrafts and armor-piercing bullets.

The real issue is overpopulation and overconsumption. You can't fix that with nuclear power or sustainable energy.

edit: But you can fix it with earthquakes and tsunamis! ;)

March 18, 2011, 11:53:33 AM
The real issue is overpopulation and overconsumption. You can't fix that with nuclear power.

Sir, I beg to differ.

http://www.vi-r-us.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/nuke.jpg

March 18, 2011, 12:23:44 PM
The real issue is overpopulation and overconsumption. You can't fix that with nuclear power.

Sir, I beg to differ.

Yes but that is the direction we're already heading in. Total destruction of the eco-system as we know it blamed on mankind. I was referring to a planet with a stable and reasonably low population with plenty of intact beautiful nature to share. We need more natural disasters for that to wipe out the stupid and unprepared.

March 18, 2011, 12:49:47 PM
Natural disaster = temporary share market (crash) fluctuations = educated people making money. Then you buy more forests or whatever you people do.

March 18, 2011, 01:14:06 PM

Sir, I beg to differ.

Yes but that is the direction we're already heading in. Total destruction of the eco-system as we know it blamed on mankind. I was referring to a planet with a stable and reasonably low population with plenty of intact beautiful nature to share. We need more natural disasters for that to wipe out the stupid and unprepared.

Well, there's always the possible Canary island tsunami which may hit the east coast of the USA, resulting in tons and tons of damage/death. Also the possibility of Old Faithful's full volcanic force exploding out of the ground and annihilating 2-3 states.

They'll be ugly, but they will happen at some point.

March 19, 2011, 08:22:32 PM
When you build a civilization on an island which contains a volcano, is prone to frequent seismic activity and then decide to slap a nuclear power plant or two on it, you have to expect that things could get nasty.

March 19, 2011, 10:30:28 PM
I hope they are.  Those are two of the shittest bands I've ever heard, right there.

hah ! So what are the japanese bands of your interest ?