Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Transcendental hipster black metal"

Re: "Transcendental hipster black metal"
March 21, 2011, 08:45:37 AM
Still it amazes me that after nearly 20 years of second wave black metal, bands like Liturgy and Krallice have formed now and are actually pretending they are contributing anything worthwhile to the BM genre. I don't think the bands are that stupid, I think they are well aware of being fake. It's just that they (obviously) consider black metal a fake genre anyway so they think that they should be allowed to "do their thing" too. The only people dumb enough to appreciate these fake bands are the same people who would have never given the original black metal a chance simply because it scared them. And then suddenly you see them all gathering at a Scion Rock Fest enjoying their "safe eco-friendly free-for-all black metal" It really is ridiculous. If I were 100% sure that MTV and VH1 would consider a band like Liturgy unmarketable then I'd be able to laugh about it too. But as I see it right now I think laughing about these bands is like laughing about the current weak state of black metal. Some of the comments on that video are funny though. But not as funny as that band being beaten up and crippled.

March 21, 2011, 09:00:44 AM
Some of the comments on that video are funny though. But not as funny as that band being beaten up and crippled.

This is just horrible.

March 21, 2011, 09:13:09 AM
Correction: it's just awesome and a goal to aspire to.

I wonder whether the people in this band actually think that they're cool or whatever?

March 21, 2011, 10:30:46 AM
"I'm kind of like, sickened, by, like, uh, sort of, reveling and like negativity". Yes go ahead and get comfortable with your painless and inoffensive prozac tunes. You won't achieve anything with them, but at least you can tell people about them without feeling embarrassed for actually having made a stand.

March 21, 2011, 01:49:25 PM
the words "like" and "sort of" are used at least 100 times in that clip, and it's one of the mechanisms used by dilettantes to ascribe a valley-girl lightheartedness to their hipster pabulum.  every single element of this is fake, from the J.Crew wardrobes to that kid who looks like a member of Hanson's effected "deep voice."  I'm not sure how many of you have ever had the misfortune to hang around hipsters, but there is actually a manufacturing plant in the midwest that does large batch processing of guys like this.  everything they do is done for ironic reasons - they listen to ghetto rap music because it's ironic, they own Final Fantasy because it's ironic, and they play black metal ironically.  the core of "transcendental" metal is mainstream acceptance; it connotes taking no risks, pleasing everyone and co-opting the most superficial aspects of a genre in the name of "going slumming."  these guys could just as easily be recording Waka Flocka Flame remixes and no one would know the difference.  as far as I'm concerned, stuff like Liturgy has no more musical merit than Justin Bieber, and it's this shit, not the Slipknots of the world, who are responsible for the alleged death of metal as we know it.  

March 21, 2011, 05:35:47 PM
They look like scraggly homeless people/college douches. They have no credibility to even discuss romanticism.

March 21, 2011, 08:27:02 PM
What "Negations" is this guy talking about?  The only things I can remember the Norwegians negating are things which are negative in the first place (modernity, industrialisation, consumerism, egoism, etc.).  Although, I wouldn't put it past these faggots to embrace all of the aforementioned cancers of society.

March 21, 2011, 10:14:28 PM
What "Negations" is this guy talking about?
What anything is he talking about?  I seriously question whether this gentleman's views are even worth a discussion.  He rather blatantly lacks any substance to his thoughts, whatsoever.  As someone else pointed out, the embarrassment on the faces of his band mates pretty much says it all.  People like this aren't even worth the time to mock.  They should simply be sternly ignored.

March 21, 2011, 10:18:28 PM
What "Negations" is this guy talking about?  The only things I can remember the Norwegians negating are things which are negative in the first place (modernity, industrialisation, consumerism, egoism, etc.).  Although, I wouldn't put it past these faggots to embrace all of the aforementioned cancers of society.

What black metal's "negations" are or were are completely immaterial to his point.  Prep school trust-fund kids like Hunter Hearst Helmsley, or whatever this dweeb calls himself, have massive inferiority complexes where Norwegian black metal is concerned.  They are attracted to its bleakness and violence but lack the balls to really "buy into" the philosophy.  Their status within a waspy white middle class community is more important than any art, so they develop a sanitized, politically correct version of the art form.  Because their dabbling would be roundly rejected by any actual component of the scene they are co-opting, they are required to adopt a preemptive defense for the bastardized form.  This defense typically includes a number of arbitrary benchmarks designed to exclude all of the people who created the shit you stole.  In the end, you employ a bunch of smoke-and-mirrors babble designed to obscure the one crucial point - that you're a fairweather thief - and adopt a hipper-than-thou attitude with the hope that none of the smug, self-styled critics, who are colossal pussies without the balls to take risk themselves, will ever call you on your bullshit.  Judging by his cute little Starbucks hairdo, I'm sure all of the things you listed parenthetically are of far greater importance to him than "ecstatic romantic harmony."  

March 22, 2011, 12:31:06 AM
Quote from: babyfacedmanginas
Hunter Hunt-Hendrix, guitarist and vocalist for Liturgy, spoke at last year's symposium with a lecture called "Transcendental Black Metal." According to a New York Times account, Hunt-Hendrix challenged the Nordic black metal traditions by asserting that the philosophical modes of the American counterpart should reflect the "joyful experience of the continuity of existence."`When challenged during a Q&A session that this idea of transcendental black metal basically amounted to "all you need is love," Hunt-Hendrix's response was, "I only like to be judged on whether or not it's interesting."

March 22, 2011, 12:39:22 AM
Faggotry in the extreme!! Everything about them sucks...

March 22, 2011, 02:45:03 AM
These hipster bands are becoming really popular.  Will they do to black metal what deathcore did to death metal?  I hope not.

I think the metal community needs to start taking action against these people, they are weak and will break if force is used against them.

The torch needs to burn again.

March 22, 2011, 03:40:43 AM
Hunt-Hendrix's response was, "I only like to be judged on whether or not it's interesting."

[/quote]

Shitting dick nipples is interesting.  It's also completely worthless beyond that.

He can't seriously fail to see how shallow that statement proves him to be.

March 22, 2011, 06:12:00 AM
I think the metal community needs to start taking action against these people, they are weak and will break if force is used against them.

I agree. Physical force is certainly a viable option, although I am 99.9% certain these pansies would call the police and charge you with "assault". Then of corse, they would play the victim card and make themselves out to be some kind of ridiculous "artistic martyrs". We need to establish some form of boycott and attempt to get labels to refuse to distribute their albums. Spread the world and get metal bands to refuse to play shows with them, ect. Anything we can do to freeze these cock-fag parasites out.