Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Transcendental hipster black metal"

Re: "Transcendental hipster black metal"
March 24, 2011, 10:06:01 AM
How can you ignore that almost every metal genre has already been ruined by bands similar to this one when metalheads sat by and did nothing?

It has happened time and time again, what in the world makes you think passivity will yeild different results this time?
No tolerance should be allowed for bands like these, that just makes them (and OTHER bands who follow in their footsteps) think that its ok to keep doing more of the same thing.  Entire genres start off this way, and this looks no different.  Soon the US will be filled with nothing but deathcore and hipster black metal, and we will have no one to blaim but ourselves for sitting back and allowing it to happen.

March 24, 2011, 03:27:40 PM
lol @ the posts disappearing in this thread btw. I know it's not the mods, it's a forum bug. If you click the reply button you can still view them.

The forum software is telling me and The Artist Formerly Known As Prince (isn't that how that little symbol is pronounced?) to shut up.

lol

March 25, 2011, 02:19:36 AM
... we will have no one to blaim but ourselves for sitting back and allowing it to happen.

Wow.  WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?! 
This thread began as everyone clowning Liturgy. 
Quickly degraded into my l'il homeys Umbrage and Svmmoned throwing tantrums of RAGE. 
So, I give in to you--those who want to fucking DEFEAT Liturgy and not ALLOW them to...ruin the genre?
LOL All I'm asking is, how are you going to disallow it, man?

By all means, please prove me wrong and punch Hunter Hendrix-Huntley in the FACE, troll their myspace, make fake facebook pages, keep us posted on your progress. 

March 25, 2011, 08:03:10 AM
The fact that black metal as a musical genre draws on themes which could be tied to Byronic romanticism says enough.  Black metal in its proper development is already transcendent.  It may harness Luciferian or Satanic imagery in some cases, but that can be equated to crossing through an abyss to break the shackles on the spirit.  The adventurous and poetic spirit in the works of Emperor and Immortal completely outshines newer "black metal" entirely.  How is corpse paint negative?  It is the unleashing and identification with something completely otherworldly even if savage.  It is symbolic of a less human persona.

Liturgy, Lifelover, and all of these other bands will have their time and then will likely fade away.

March 25, 2011, 02:54:37 PM
Quote from: youtube
9 likes, 85 dislikes

LOL, troll on!

March 25, 2011, 03:16:54 PM
9 likes, 85 dislikes

LOL, troll on!

Number of viewers of the "Scion rock" interview from Aug 2010 - 20th March 2011: 1800
Number of viewers five days later: 4223.

Lol ur WINNING!

March 26, 2011, 04:32:41 AM
11 likes, 110 dislikes

And eight posts in the last four days from ▓ begging people to leave Liturgy alone. lol indeed.

March 26, 2011, 10:31:36 AM
I think the point is that people are going to make/try to make money from pop music no matter how much negative publicity one gets. In this case it actually helps. And the same applies to cheap hipster ripoffs of metal. Don't get me wrong, that video made me furious, but the only place I come across shit like that is on threads like this, it doesn't impact on me and I don't give it any attention, I simply explain to people in conversation why I like the music that I do, the philosophy behind it and why it is different to apparently profound yet hollow hipster acts.

In the same way, Rebecca Black would not get anywhere without the endless criticism and hatred. My policy is to ignore all pop music, I rarely come across it anyway, I rarely put myself in the kind of environment where I'm likely to hear it. And again, when quized, or in a discussion on the topic, I will explain why I like the music that I do, the philosophy behind it and why its not all subjective opinion lol.

Its only where an already successful band is getting too much attention will I get more militant, enter o.peth, p.antera etc. 

March 26, 2011, 10:54:14 AM
Yes negative publicity did wonders for Nargaroth, whereas trolling bands like o.peth and p.antera made a significant impact and made people see the band differently which lead to a dramatic decrease in record sales. [/sarcasm]

You have to be retarded to compare Rebecca Black to black metal. It's a completely different audience.

By all means troll Liturgy because it's fun. Whether they actually start selling less records to their indie crowd who undoubtedly don't care what "true metal fans" have to say should come second. Just stop posting excuses for being a lame-ass faggot while cool people are actually trying to do something to stop a new trend from growing, it's just making yourself look very dumb and this forum look divided to outsiders.

March 26, 2011, 11:22:01 AM
It is not retarded to compare the two, because the principle is the same. And I do not remember claiming that trolling o.peth would reduce record sales. I would still argue it is more worthwhile doing that than trolling hipster shit that already has god knows how many dislikes on their irrelevant youtube interview. Of course its fun to troll hipster shit, no one's arguing, but the point is that too much negative publicity has the opposite effect for these guys. It also makes sites like this look bitter and regressive, which is far worse than it looking divided I'm afraid. 

As an aside, I'm not entirely convinced that Liturgy aren't trolls themselves.

March 26, 2011, 12:09:02 PM
When do you guys think Liturgy will tour with this THBM band?

March 26, 2011, 01:06:05 PM

By all means troll Liturgy because it's fun. Whether they actually start selling less records to their indie crowd who undoubtedly don't care what "true metal fans" have to say should come second. Just stop posting excuses for being a lame-ass faggot while cool people are actually trying to do something to stop a new trend from growing, it's just making yourself look very dumb and this forum look divided to outsiders.

It was really funny to see the negative comments in the youtube video, and I think that not all of them come from readers of this website. When any metalhead recognizes a hipster, I feel hope.

Also, it's natural to expect a reaction when people make stupid things. In this level, it's pertinent to react against Liturgy, because the message is not "don't listen to Liturgy), that's pretty simple, but "don't make pseudo-intellectual babble of your shitty music". This latter is the important one, Liturgy was just an EXCELLENT opportunity... and it is fun.

March 26, 2011, 01:23:19 PM
Just stop posting excuses for being a lame-ass faggot while cool people are actually trying to do something to stop a new trend from growing, it's just making yourself look very dumb and this forum look divided to outsiders.

* It is better to attack ideas than people.
* Civility means that your persona will not eclipse your point.
* All postings should be designed to communicate information.
* If someone is intelligent and disagrees, debate. If not, ignore by stating a contrary view that does not directly reference them.

March 26, 2011, 01:47:10 PM
Just stop posting excuses for being a lame-ass faggot while cool people are actually trying to do something to stop a new trend from growing, it's just making yourself look very dumb and this forum look divided to outsiders.

* It is better to attack ideas than people.
* Civility means that your persona will not eclipse your point.
* All postings should be designed to communicate information.
* If someone is intelligent and disagrees, debate. If not, ignore by stating a contrary view that does not directly reference them.

I attacked the idea of someone being a lame-ass faggot, I did not directly call anyone a lame-ass faggot. But if I called you a cry-baby for your post it wouldn't be far from the truth. Yet I won't, so sue me for all you want.

It was really funny to see the negative comments in the youtube video, and I think that not all of them come from readers of this website. When any metalhead recognizes a hipster, I feel hope.

Also, it's natural to expect a reaction when people make stupid things. In this level, it's pertinent to react against Liturgy, because the message is not "don't listen to Liturgy), that's pretty simple, but "don't make pseudo-intellectual babble of your shitty music". This latter is the important one, Liturgy was just an EXCELLENT opportunity... and it is fun.

I couldn't agree more. Same about not all the negative comments coming from anus members. I really don't understand why some posters here are making such a big fuss out of all this. But on the bright side the bad publicity this thread generates is bound to make us all famous and rich.