Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

key to the gate

key to the gate
March 25, 2011, 05:39:44 PM
Burzum’s Key to the Gate reflects the ideals of black metal and tells the story of Varg.  I consider this the greatest black metal song. 
This post began as a response to the metal poetry thread, but I think this song deserves a separate thread.

My eyes are shut I cannot see
though clear is thy despair
I drift away - far away
from places of which you seek 

My Interpretation: I dream of a better world, but one which the ignorant masses fear.  A world which would bring despair to the woman I am romantically interested in.

Though I seek thy hell
you close the gate before me
Your life is right, and I'm to
follow to your paradise

My Interpretation: about the isolation of having above mentioned dream.  Varg’s ideal world is the hell of the average person and of his romantic interest.  But this hell is only hell as defined by the ignorant.

I cannot fall in love
love is for them
Lusting for the sky -
Heaven

My Interpretation:  Isolation.  Desire to love and be a part of a community.  They lust for heaven, which is Varg’s hell
Why did I come to this world
of sorrow why is this true
Where is my dagger of sacrifice

My Interpretation: This isolation hurts.

I will open the gates to Hell one
day...

My interpretation:  Amazing line.  About the beauty and pride of sticking by ones ideals and enduring the isolation.  Valuing the dream and  ideals – and not sacrificing them for love of a woman or social integration into society.  About not just enduring, but appreciating the beauty of pain, isolation, and missed romantic opportunities.

The lyrics fit perfectly with the music.  The song starts with harshness and dissonance.  In the second half of a beautiful hopeful melody floats through the harshness and counterpoints the first half.  On repeated listening, it is clear that the harshness is just as beautiful as the hopeful melody.  The hopeful melody is telling us  “I will open the gates to Hell one
day...”

So the song is about hope.  About having no regrets about the decisions which have brought pain and isolation.  About appreciating the beauty of and enjoying not only the hope and the dream but also the pain and isolation.

Re: key to the gate
March 25, 2011, 06:30:38 PM
This post reminds me of those chapters in American Psycho where Bateman eulogises about Whitney Houston and Genesis. :)

March 25, 2011, 07:44:32 PM
This post reminds me of those chapters in American Psycho where Bateman eulogises about Whitney Houston and Genesis. :)

Sorry to derail the topic, but I always loved that part: the way he seeks such deep meaning in such plastic, vapid, worthless music is such a perfect reflection of his persona and the culture he is surrounded by in general. I fear that that's lost on a lot of people who read the book (or see the movie), considering the whole "but music is all taste right?" view that is popular.

March 25, 2011, 10:13:17 PM
That fucking guitar lead........perfect song.

"We are not dead We have never lived"

March 25, 2011, 11:37:58 PM

Sorry to derail the topic, but I always loved that part: the way he seeks such deep meaning in such plastic, vapid, worthless music is such a perfect reflection of his persona and the culture he is surrounded by in general. I fear that that's lost on a lot of people who read the book (or see the movie), considering the whole "but music is all taste right?" view that is popular.

To further derail - when he's watching himself in the mirror and winking and pointing while banging those whores is absolutely classic. 

To get back on the track:
I love this song.  I love the solo on this song.  I love how the vocals start, "I'll open the gates to hell" before going into the first half of the solo and when the solo pulls back for a moment back come the vocals "ONE DAY."  This song really shows off how masterful Varg was with his voice on the whole of the Det Som Angang Var album.  But really, I think the solo is not so much hopeful as determined.  Its not really happy or sad or any emotional, just set-jawed and systematic... its beautiful, sure, but I wouldn't want to get all wishy-washy about it.  Notice how he intones the lyric "one day" in the middle of the solo - its the voice of grim determination in the face of vast and seemingly insurmountable difficulty.

March 26, 2011, 10:51:41 AM
The lyrics fit perfectly with the music.  The song starts with harshness and dissonance.  In the second half of a beautiful hopeful melody floats through the harshness and counterpoints the first half.  On repeated listening, it is clear that the harshness is just as beautiful as the hopeful melody.  The hopeful melody is telling us  “I will open the gates to Hell one day...”

There are several pieces on this album that feature a kind of build and release structure to great effect whereas Hvis lyset tar oss applies the idea to the album as a whole. And yes I would agree this method is a great example of how music, concepts and lyrics can be one and the same.

March 27, 2011, 03:33:29 AM
Amazing album throughout. Hvis Lysett Tar Oss is also very good esp for setting trancelike moods.