Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Understanding Reddit: homosexuals, or virgins?

January 18, 2011, 04:50:20 AM
over 250 subreddits in 28 different categories

spreadsheet
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

January 18, 2011, 06:09:29 PM
The main problem with Reddit is that it is purely a numbers game where flavors of the day and the whims of the crowd win out.  The links and comments are displayed both chronologically and by popularity, making it extremely hard for any dissenting or otherwise unpopular opinion to be heard.  While a small, focused group can reach the smaller communities by due effort, to move beyond that without greater numbers is seemingly a giant hurdle.

January 18, 2011, 07:18:16 PM
I just signed up. Reporting for duty!
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

January 18, 2011, 09:19:51 PM
The main problem with Reddit is that it is purely a numbers game where flavors of the day and the whims of the crowd win out.  The links and comments are displayed both chronologically and by popularity, making it extremely hard for any dissenting or otherwise unpopular opinion to be heard.  While a small, focused group can reach the smaller communities by due effort, to move beyond that without greater numbers is seemingly a giant hurdle.

So your suggestion is, do nothing in Reddit?

It is not being cryptic and underground as fuck what will take the message where it does belong, there're  already evident things over there that need to be organized and presented in plausible ways. Conservative and specially new_right are doing great, and guess what, gaining good people.

I just signed up. Reporting for duty!

Now, that's the spirit!

January 18, 2011, 10:22:35 PM
It occurs to me that we may be missing an explicated coordination medium for volunteers. NIHIL email list is where we meet.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

January 19, 2011, 12:25:25 AM
Is there anything to prevent you from making tons of different accounts (from proxied servers), so it looks like different people are posting the links when in reality it all comes from one person? This way you can also vote up your own links a lot...

Also, on the subject of reaching more people, may I suggest holding some sort of conference or symposium where various people have their papers read?

I don't see lots of activity from the ANUS metal community in the scholarly metal scene, but maybe that's also a way to go? If you're interested I'll be launching a discussion forum for scholarly metal discourse soon, you could bring your views to the table there (the site itself will take a neutral stance, the members do it themselves).

The scholarly metal scene is really taking off. In the future there will be an organization officially dedicated to the scholarly metal scene, I'm not involved but the website's being built. Times are a changin... (hopefully away from things like Reddit lol)

An extremely neat thing to consider is: what do you gain by writing articles for DLA? So the articles are all in the same place--DLA--but today with the internet's aggregatory capacities articles and papers are very easy to come by. If you submit texts to other places though, then you can really bring the conversation elsewhere. There are conferences about metal for example where you could submit papers, seems like something to do at least simultaneously as you work on Reddit, if not before Reddit.
www.TheMetalDiscourser.com
The universe is naked, attack its corpus, take a real stab at your life and let the blood flow — RIP the sound of the very fabric tearing.

January 19, 2011, 06:13:42 PM
So your suggestion is, do nothing in Reddit?

It is not being cryptic and underground as fuck what will take the message where it does belong, there're  already evident things over there that need to be organized and presented in plausible ways. Conservative and specially new_right are doing great, and guess what, gaining good people.

Not exactly.  I think the subreddits and smaller communities are a great step in the right direction.  However,  I think that before it really reaches anyone outside of enthusiasts and curious minds is a long way coming.  The way reddit is structured makes it hard for non-mainstream opinions to really go very far.   I think the best chance at the current moment for success is in places like the metal subreddit, where I have seen stuff like Hellhammer and Ildjarn do fairly well and reach others besides those who are upvoting them.

January 21, 2011, 03:01:38 PM
I think the goal on Reddit should be to spread and "spin" information from mainstream news sources.

The people there are mostly lost losers, but there are some good ones too.

I like what has been done so far. New_right is like the hidden gem of the place.

January 21, 2011, 03:55:31 PM
Not meaning to go off topic but I always thought discogs is uncharted territory for metal reviews. It might be effective to make somewhat simplified verions of the DLA reviews for albums there, not so much with the intention of promoting anus, but promoting the idea of being able to review an album intelligently.

February 04, 2011, 07:40:34 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/Metal/comments/ff6c5/obligatory_classical_thread_link_is_bachs_sonata/

Started this today. Thanks to it, I now know that J.S. Bach had a son, and based on the samples linked in the thread, his music sounds wonderful.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

February 26, 2011, 03:31:12 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/Metal/comments/ff6c5/obligatory_classical_thread_link_is_bachs_sonata/

Started this today. Thanks to it, I now know that J.S. Bach had a son, and based on the samples linked in the thread, his music sounds wonderful.

43 upvotes is huge on a site like Reddit that loves hip-hop and emosexuality but hates anything masculine, commonsensical or intelligent. It's not different enough.

Flash mobs are impressive. You get a lot of media coverage that way because people FREAK OUT over the sudden riot, even online.

Reddit... goddamn, these people are twee dweebs. One of the faggots even got an ()peth tattoo. They are total deracinated people, alienated even from gender or the idea of values beyond personal convenience. I want to hurt them and then anally subjugate them until they open for me like bloodflowers ripe for desecration. And then I want to break their hearts and reject them, beat them to death, and urinate in their ashes tossed in an anonymous shit-filled diaper into an anonymous tenement street.

Ambisexual Cock-Inhaling Effete Tweebo tattoo

Flash mobs are impressive. You get a lot of media coverage that way because people FREAK OUT over the sudden riot, even online.

Reddit... goddamn, these people are twee dweebs. One of the faggots even got an ()peth tattoo. They are total deracinated people, alienated even from gender or the idea of values beyond personal convenience. I want to hurt them and then anally subjugate them until they open for me like bloodflowers ripe for desecration. And then I want to break their hearts and reject them, beat them to death, and urinate in their ashes tossed in an anonymous shit-filled diaper into an anonymous tenement street.

Ambisexual Cock-Inhaling Effete Tweebo tattoo

I question why I even go to reddit.  The only feelings it brings up  any more are either pity, rage, or both.  And the worse part about it is that as the site attracts more users, it just gets worse and worse.  Fairly soon, it will be another source of human raw sewage on the internet, as if enough of those didn't exist.

I question why I even go to reddit.  The only feelings it brings up  any more are either pity, rage, or both.  And the worse part about it is that as the site attracts more users, it just gets worse and worse.  Fairly soon, it will be another source of human raw sewage on the internet, as if enough of those didn't exist.

In this world, you either fight shitty things, or you've approved of them.

And watching them fail is fun!

He claimed to be dying. He went online and posted the news: "On Tuesday I'll finally end my battle with cancer thanks to Oregon's Death with dignity act." Calling himself "Lucidending," he told the world to ask him anything.

More than 9,000 people responded Saturday night on the social networking site reddit.com. They shared personal stories, uploaded photos and videos, and asked questions about death and dying.

But one of Lucidending's statements suggests he may not be someone who has received a prescription to hasten death under Oregon's law.

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2011/03/post_45.html

We did it reddit! Ted is a household name, we made him a website and donated $1029.30 although dj1200techniques is having issues with PayPal, PLEASE READ!

Ted can be contacted via Alfred Battle: Alfred Battle Founder/CEO 614-328-6221 alfred.battle@sbcglobal.net

http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/evz04/homeless_man_wgolden_radio_voice_in_columbus_oh/

I listened to the whole radio show he did this morning and not one mention of reddit at all. The show hosts made it seem like they found him (which is true I guess) and did all the work to get him noticed and famous. No. We did that.

I know it's kind of selfish, but it's true. We created this story and changed this guy's life, and I don't think he has even acknowledged us. I could very well be wrong though. If anyone has heard or seen anything contradicting this, let me know because I haven't.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/related/ex0lf/has_ted_williams_even_acknowledged_reddit_yet/

he Ted Williams story has taken yet another turn – a troubling one.

The homeless man with the golden voice, discovered on the streets of Columbus, Ohio, earlier this month, has left a rehab facility in Texas against the advice of his doctors, according to a report on TMZ.com.

The past three weeks have been a roller-coaster ride for Williams. He became an overnight sensation thanks to a Columbus Dispatch video showing him panhandling. After touring the talk shows, he even signed a voiceover contract with Kraft Foods.

But after a domestic dispute with his daughter in Los Angeles, he agreed to meet with Dr. Phil, which led to the rehab trip.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20460417,00.html

Liberal tweebos like the reddit crowd always want to believe in the magical story where the fucked-up suddenly becomes OK. It's why they are so permissive: they secretly hate and distrust themselves, and so they want EVERYTHING to be socially acceptable so THEY will be accepted. In the meantime, they destroy societies.

Reddit is a huge camp of these people, waiting to be liberated, and for every dozen dipshits on there, a hundred more smart people lurk and read and make up their minds independently. That's why we fight people at Reddit, on blogs, on forums, in the news media, in publication, etc.