Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Summoning and Kalona

Summoning and Kalona
March 29, 2011, 08:24:56 PM
Hey guys! I had a question and I thought this would be a good place to get some answers.

Are there very many good atmospheric black metal bands other than Summoning? There's only been a couple decent ones that I've found hopping around online. Most of it isn't very good but the stuff that is good I like pretty much more than anything.

I found this new band called Kalona on youtube and they sound really good but I think they are so new they don't have any releases yet.

If you guys could drop some band names for me that would be great! Also if you find out anything about Kalona let me know! Thanks!

Re: Summoning and Kalona
March 29, 2011, 08:50:22 PM
The basics usually are

Burzum - Hvis Lyett Tar Oss
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse

If you like atmosphere you could also try some ambient or dark ambient music, for example Burzum's album Hlidskjalf.

March 29, 2011, 09:19:58 PM
Yeah I actually have all those albums you listed. I'm looking for something more ambient. A couple people have just suggested Ancient Wisdom and Elffor and I really like those bands.

March 30, 2011, 03:09:32 AM
For ambient, be sure to listen to at least a few Graveland albums and Lord Wind's Atlantean Monument . 

a few of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr-FCwRVEgE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfZLydpYKd8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaMWWpEBcBY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNs1iSS0m3I

If you like Burzum, I would try Demo II.  Demo II has no vocals and a very nice low quality sound to it, which for me creates a different atmosphere from the final version of these songs.

Since you like Summoning, I would listen to a few other bands from the members of Summoning.  Sometimes you connect more with the style of the individuals rather than the subgenre it is classified as.  So try Abigor's Nachthymnen.  And if you are bored, you could try Die Verbannten Kinder Evas or Ice Ages, but these are not of the highest quality.

March 30, 2011, 01:08:34 PM
If you want something as epic as Summoning or Elffor try Sorcier Des Glaces

For something similar but with more power and a raw edge to it try the already mentioned Graveland or Avzhia

Not afraid to try something different but still atmospheric? Try old Rotting Christ You might like them. Their later material is cheesy goth metal but their early works like Thy Mighty Contract is highly recommended.

You might like some doom/death too. Try Ceremonium or the first Amorphis album. Very atmospheric music.

peristil

April 01, 2011, 03:39:40 AM
Pazuzu - And all was silent...
Dead Can Dance - Within the realm of a dying sun.

April 02, 2011, 05:00:13 AM
Pazuzu - And all was silent...

This album really pisses me off with how bad it is. It sounds like the Diablo soundtrack in its best moments, but it's mostly just terrible. The idiotic vocals don't help at all either. I really don't understand how the members of Summoning could make something so awful. I guess that this album and the abysmal "Saruman" from their Lost Tales album are the two black spots in their otherwise immaculate oeuvre.

Anyway, the OP might want to give a listen to Abigor's Supreme Immortal Art, Nachthymnen, and Orkblut albums for some medievalist black metal goodness. I've heard that Opus IV is of similarly high quality, but I haven't got around to listening to it yet. Goat Horns and Lunar Poetry from Nokturnal Mortum, On the Sortilage of Christianity from Lucifugum, Misyac Pomsty from Dub Buk, Parnassus' Receive My Dying Spirit demo, and maybe even the second and third Therion albums should also appeal to fans of Summoning's dreamy soundscapes.

April 02, 2011, 08:59:57 AM
"Saruman" is awesome actually.  I agree about Pazazu though; there are a few good moments, but those are strongly overshadowed by the idiocy that makes up the majority of the work.

Satyricons "Dark Medieval Times," and "The Shadowthrone" are obvious examples.  If you like Summoning, Godkiller's album "The Rebirth of the Middle Ages"  is probably right up your alley, although it's definitely on the short side.  And of course, Mortiis is all atmosphere, without any metal getting in the way.

Edit: although, seeing as how "SummoningEvil" has posted this same question on a number of different forums (seen just by searching for "Kalona") and this was posted the very same day, it seems pretty obvious that the guy is just trying to advertise his band.