Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Does a decadent society need to collapse before it can be reborn?

Lately I've been thinking the only way the human race can rid itself of its destructive and degenerate habits is by experiencing complete infrastructural failure. In other words, people need to experience reality without modern amenities like running water, electricity, WalMart, welfare, sex toys, etc before a truly responsible society can emerge.

Thoughts?

There are always some residual remnants from the past so the question is probably unimportant in the long term. What matters is whether we are pointed in the direction of another speciation event or extinction. I do not believe we are able to stay in a comfortable middle ground, afraid to embark on either path because the attrition of time passing will pull us along in some direction regardless.

Speciation? You mean like Ubermensch, right? The next evolutionary leap...

It seems to me an Ubermensch would thrive in a lawless wasteland. I think, if anything, modern civilization is keeping the Ubermensch shackled and bound. Man cannot evolve because he is pampered by modern comforts; they make him so lazy he hasn't a care in the world.

Quote from: Thoreau
Our ancestors were savages. The story of Romulus and Remus being suckled by a wolf is not a meaningless fable. The founders of every state which has risen to eminence have drawn their nourishment and vigor from a similar wild source. It was because the children of the Empire were not
suckled by the wolf that they were conquered and displaced by the children of the northern forests who were.

UBERMENSCH WILL NOT GET HIS SUSTENANCE FROM STARBUCKS FRAPPUCCINOS BUT BY DRINKING THE BLOOD OF HIS ENEMIES!!!

I do not believe we are able to stay in a comfortable middle ground, afraid to embark on either path because the attrition of time passing will pull us along in some direction regardless.

Words of wisdom....

Apathy and indecisiveness are insidious and degenerative. A lukewarm approach would be suicidal.

Aren't you guys nihilists? Shouldn't you just be ubermensch anyway? Why do you need society to collapse before you can assert your will to power?

UBERMENSCH WILL NOT GET HIS SUSTENANCE FROM STARBUCKS FRAPPUCCINOS BUT BY DRINKING THE BLOOD OF HIS ENEMIES!!!

This quote is priceless. A new Hessian motto perhaps?

Aren't you guys nihilists? Shouldn't you just be ubermensch anyway? Why do you need society to collapse before you can assert your will to power?

Are you trolling? If not, please do not relate Nietzsche's ideal, existentialist outlook (which inevitably becomes our own individual outlooks) with political assertions and beliefs. They are not the same; they are hardly related.

Are you trolling? If not, please do not relate Nietzsche's ideal, existentialist outlook (which inevitably becomes our own individual outlooks) with political assertions and beliefs. They are not the same; they are hardly related.

That has nothing to do with politics, you must be drunk on your B- 'History of Western Philosophy' paper, surely the will to power exists regardless of what political situation you're in?

All I'm saying is that do you really need to experience infrastructure failure to move above the common herd? Surely you can realise those habits are destructive regardless.

The main point is that a dying society that changes direction (cultural leading to political/economic change) will pull out of its death-spiral.