Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Alternate mixes of Justice for all?

Alternate mixes of Justice for all?
April 01, 2011, 10:29:01 AM
I recall once reading somewhere on this site of a bootleg release of Metallica 'And justice for all' which had better-sounding mixes of the tracks, but have been unable to find this again. Can anyone here give any more details?

Re: Alternate mixes of Justice for all?
April 01, 2011, 07:32:33 PM
Doesn't exist; anything labeled as such is simply a recording of one random guy sitting in his basement playing along to the entire record.

April 01, 2011, 10:38:08 PM
I always though that Justice had the best sound of all their 80's albums.  Hetfield's guitar has considerable bass in its sound so the music still sounds full, yet cold.  The major mistake in the mix is lars' drums being up front - he is just an atrociously bad drummer and it would have been best to relegate him to the ass-end of the mix.

April 02, 2011, 04:20:50 AM
My first metal album! Unless you count AC/DC as metal. Which you shouldn't.

There's various versions of the album with enhanced or overdubbed base to compensate for the lack thereof in the original mix.

Blackened and the title track overdubbed using Newsted's original bass track gleaned from Rock Band.

There's also overdubs using fan recorded tracks. They suck.

April 02, 2011, 04:53:03 AM
Those Rock Band enhanced tracks are a worthwhile listen. I like how the bass adds some extra counterpoint to the more baroque sections of the title track. It's a real shame that they turned it down so low on record.

April 03, 2011, 04:05:56 AM
Baroque isn't really the right term. In true counterpoint, the melodies complete, instead of merely complement, each other.

But yes that ascending figure of harmonized guitars at 4:00 is made 999x times more awesome when you can actually hear the bass!

April 03, 2011, 04:40:28 AM
The kick drum totally ruins this album.

April 03, 2011, 05:04:59 AM
The "enhanced bass" tracks that I've heard all had way to much bass added. Lars' drums have always sounded like complete shit. I don't think he was ever instructed on how to tune them correctly. That and he doesn't use a ride cymbal, which I always found a little odd. In fact his entire style is odd. It's not cohesive.