Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Towards Hessian Culture

Towards Hessian Culture
August 09, 2006, 12:17:32 AM
We can derive some values from the music -- Romanticism: death-worship, nihilism, romantic longing, emptiness, nature-worship, pagan spirituality, occult visions, knowledge of mortality, assertive masculine thymotic drive, praise for Greeks and Romans -- and then we can note how Hessians tend to live, but how is culture really formed?

My guess is that it makes more sense to look at:

(a) the values in the music
(b) the best of the Hessians

If we look at the average, we get a lowest common denominator average. So I don't care if most Hessians don't think they "agree" with these views or not; they will find they agree with them enough, much as the best people in our society have a values set that is far more advanced than the average..

But what would the Hessian values be?

- Amoralism: consequences not emotions or morality are important in judging an action.

- Idealistic spirituality: not dualistic or materialistic.

- Independent realism: not freedom, not fascism; people want to be able to do what is sensible in the world. This requires others who know what sensible is. You cannot say merely you want "freedom."

- Naturalism: Hessians seem to love (a) nature the experience and (b) the natural, feral, masculine self-assertive predatory instinct.

Fairly Nietzschean.

Re: Towards Hessian Culture
August 09, 2006, 06:06:14 AM
i can saftly say i agree with all the points expressed above. but (i dont know if this is one of those goes without saying things) we would need to drop the nurturing aspect (so the weak dont get help to survive ect)

August 09, 2006, 12:29:20 PM
The mediocre bands survive and prosper because wealthy corporations create and market them. Various Judeo-Christian boards of directors and chairmen of entertainment industries, none of whom even listen to metal, dominate what passes for Hessian culture.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

August 09, 2006, 06:52:25 PM
In reply to the original post: Agreed.

In reply to Lupus' post:
Various Judeo-Christian boards of directors and chairmen of entertainment industries, none of whom even listen to metal, dominate what passes for Hessian culture.

If no one would want to listen those bands, they wouldn't be there. Those in control of the entertaiment industries merely sell what majority of people are willing to buy.

August 10, 2006, 12:39:15 AM
there's some quite contradictory forces going on here.  metal culture, as i've seen it, is based on two divergent drives:

1.  self-alienation, by distancing one's self aesthetically and ideologically from "mainstream" culture, eventually spiralling into a bizarro world where proponents of similar musics will isolate themselves from one another in debate over largely superficial and manufactured ideals.

2.  desire for community, where the metal people congregate to celebrate their chosen music forms.  but this drive, mixed with the first principle of self-alienation, causes those present to fracture into tiny, comfortable cells where communication only occurs with those who are intimately known, and actual interaction between the artist & audience or even amongst the audience itself is minimized.

this dichotomy has created some worthwhile music, since the artists often do not percieve any intended audience for their work, so they take a "fuck it, i'll do whatever i want" attitude.  but most artists and fans succumb to the desire for friends and end up copying one of the hundreds of bands regarded as ideals of whatever the chosen offshoot sub-subgenre is on display this week.

with the added taint of hardcore in metal (all social context; no aesthetic value), most individuals have found the fool's gold of unearned popularity and disciplined uniformity (they call it "unity") to be irresistable.  at this point, i still believe in the value of the established metal classics, and i still hold out hope that good metal is still being made somewhere out there, but the culture of metal itself in relation to the outside world is corrupt; just another lifestyle marketing niche to be exploited.  even the most willfully obscure metal snob is part of a demographic thousands strong, and as such is equally faceless.

August 10, 2006, 04:12:07 AM
when you say self-alienation from the mainstream world this isnt being anti-mainstream for the sake of it, the reason is we do want a community but the one we have is inadequate and so we want to isolate ourselves from this one but the idea of community is still very important

August 10, 2006, 10:18:19 PM
self-alienation doesn't just mean that you don't have a copy of michael jackson's "thriller."  it also means seperation from mainstream media, people who subscribe to mainstream ideologies, and divergence from mainstream attitudes towards decency, drug use, economics, etc.  

some would argue that people who follow underground music are just searching for a culture that resonates with their personal values.  it may be a chicken-or-the-egg argument, but i would counter that underground music is simply a microcosm of the larger music world, utilizes a very similar promotional machine, and many of the same methods of merketing coercion, and is only custom-tailored to suit the aesthetic leanings of it's designated audience/demographic.  

the methods are simple: take a handfull of marginally related bands, lump them together in a magazine article which paints it out to be the crest of some new musical zeitgeist, promote and advertise, exploit, repeat.  black metal is a good, sort-of recent example.  

for me, the point is simple.  most followers of obscure music are still consumed by a very mainstream activity: living vicariously through products.

August 11, 2006, 12:39:07 AM
People today identify with a given culture through brand loyalty to a marketed lifestyle package. Each lifestyle package comes stocked with a product line. Metal is not limited to audio CDs. We have t-shirts, ballcaps, posters, concerts on DVD and so forth. Other lifestyle packages have their own given product lines. Culture did not grow in this manner until recent history. Something changed during the past century. Culture itself has become disposable, mass produced in many cases by those who, only seeking self interest, do not even identify with it.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

August 11, 2006, 08:50:32 PM
good points lupus.  in this way, i think the guy who runs this thing might be on the right track by looking for a broader name and meaning for this particular subculture, maybe without most of the current negative implications.  still, you're talking about a small group which isn't going to have much of an effect on the mainstream metal machine (ozzfest, dimmu borgir, etc).  the most you can hope for is a popular underground front, like crust punks or something.  still, it would be interesting to see what we can think of once we get out of this material trap.

September 23, 2006, 09:08:43 AM
I've always thought Hessian culture was a good idea. Going to a fully-developed culture for metal would suggest to the worst of the fools and hypocrites that they move along, as any statement of consensus does.

But, my pity to you. You're coming at the tail end of a movement. Your audience is also split, as I am, by things like Racism in metal. Yes, I like Burzum quite a bit, and listen almost daily, but I'm not about to endorse the "white race" as "superior" because there are a lot of stupid people out there even stupid blonde Nordic types like the Russians, English and Swedish people who live here in Seattle.

You're also divided on drugs. Many Hessians are just hedonists.

You're also divided because even if you say metal is Romanticism, most metalheads don't understand what that is and aren't likely to start reading Romantic literature any time soon, or even listening to classical music. They know the CDs they buy.

You'd better start a magazine or something or you're going to get drowned out by the herd as usual.