Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Morrissey fans are the übermensch"

"Morrissey fans are the übermensch"
April 06, 2011, 12:22:57 PM
Quote from: Sonic Magazine
The Moz fans all over the world are in my opinion the closest you will ever get to the species Nietzsche referred to as he spoke about the “übermensch”. If someone is a Moz fan on a credible foundation, you can assume this person is intelligent and beautiful with a good sense of humour – and that all these features are most probably imbued by a profound hatred against mankind and an everlasting self hatred.

Sonic magazine Morrissey interview

I thought this was quite amusing, I even think the author was only partially tongue in cheek.

Also from the same interview:

Quote from: Sonic Magazine
Are you seeking to convert people?

Morrissey: Yes, I'd really like that, anyone is ok. I have heard so many odd stories about how people have been heavily in to metal and then gone from metal to me. That's very fascinating.

Okay, flame away! ;)

Re: "Morrissey fans are the übermensch"
April 06, 2011, 01:19:36 PM
AW DUDE I AM SO MAD THAT YOU POSTED THIS!

April 06, 2011, 01:41:12 PM
i don't think being a fan of someone makes someone special, but that's just me.

April 07, 2011, 05:13:22 AM
I have to respect Morrissey's lyrical wit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9l_zAypP7Q
Frankly Mister Shankly is his fuynniest/subtlest work.  At once both a criticism of banal modern working life, and of teenage narcissism.

April 07, 2011, 01:45:22 PM
Yeah, I always thought it was cool how other English bands of that era (including thrash bands), when the Conservatives were in power and there was mass unemployment etc, would moan about politics and how you couldn't get a job etc. But Morrissey would be like: "well, I don't want a job anyway", which pissed people off at the time.

"No I've never had a job, because I've never wanted one"
"If you must go to work tomorrow, if I were you I really wouldn't bother"
"I was looking for a job and then I found a job and heaven knows I'm miserable now"

I think he made an interesting comment on the pointless soul-destroying sterility of modern employment and jobs for the sake of jobs.

Didn't ANUS have an "I hate jobs" site some time ago?

April 07, 2011, 09:31:09 PM
Some problems with jobs in modernity:

• Assuming given enough effort, anyone can do whatever job they wish
  • Replacement for caste, roles, which are discriminatory; vain suppression of inequality
  • Endlessly dumbed down, simplified so that above items can finally come to pass
  • Dumbing down bores or frustrates intelligent position holders into moving on; they may have taken the role to higher levels
  • Job or role eventually automated out where possible as costly or too dysfunctional (error prone, insufficient) thanks to above

An I Hate Jobs theme can make a comeback any time if someone wants to make a blog entry for amerika.org

April 07, 2011, 09:44:44 PM
Some problems with jobs in modernity:

• Assuming given enough effort, anyone can do whatever job they wish
  • Replacement for caste, roles, which are discriminatory; vain suppression of inequality
  • Endlessly dumbed down, simplified so that above items can finally come to pass
  • Dumbing down bores or frustrates intelligent position holders into moving on; they may have taken the role to higher levels
  • Job or role eventually automated out where possible as costly or too dysfunctional (error prone, insufficient) thanks to above

An I Hate Jobs theme can make a comeback any time if someone wants to make a blog entry for amerika.org
I was watching a documentary about performers in a traveling circus a couple of months ago. One of the trapeze artists justified her choice of that career (having done other, more standard work beforehand) by saying that a job is, in effect, the act of putting up your life for sale to someone. The rest of the program was irrelevant to this topic, but that in particular struck me - time is the one and only commodity that is 100% non-renewable; once  a single moment passes, it is gone forever. And yet we are driven to treat it as a casual loss. Not only by pursuing work we dislike, or to which we are apathetic, in order to simply pay the costs of living in civilized society; but also by then forgetting about how much we hate our jobs by embracing braindead pleasures like television and drinking.