Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

June 6 - Hessian Holiday: National Day of Slayer

http://www.nationaldayofslayer.org/

This page, a project of this site and another individual, has become immensely popular. People have done partial translations into Dutch, Spanish, Swedish and German (there is a complete translation in Icelandic).

Please help us out by doing a translation into your native language so we can make this an "International Day of Slayer"!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 26, 2006

NATIONAL DAY OF SLAYER GOES INTERNATIONAL

In our pluralistic modern world, it seems like every group gets a holiday or month dedicated to its activities -- except metalheads. Responding to the overbearing moralism of the American holiday for Christian prayer, two headbangers created a holiday of their own: the National Day of Slayer.

Little did they know that this holiday would become popular worldwide, prompting an outpouring of translations, dedications, and most of all, vows in over 20 countries to "Stay home from work, and listen to Slayer instead." Even the Slayer guys weighed in on Los Angeles' KNAC radio, saying the concept was hilarious and they wish they'd thought of it. A groundswell of popularity is making this holiday a reality!

"We need a holiday to celebrate great metal music instead of going to a boring job," said [ Jeff? ]. "When National Day of Slayer was created, it was a protest against how Slayer is ignored by the workaday world. Now, it's a phenomenon reaching the furthers corners of the globe."

This June 6, if you're a metalhead or just like the music of Slayer, join us for an "INTERnational Day of Slayer" by putting off your normal responsibilities and enjoying an entire day of Slayer. For too many years the vibrant culture of heavy metal music has been ignored, but now there's a holiday for metalheads... worldwide.

Blasphemy on Slayer day
(Friday June 09, 2006 11:23 AM)

A group of nihilists are being blamed for the desecration of a Catholic church in New York this week, on National Day of Slayer.

The day of 'celebration' to commemorate the metal overlords is understood to have inspired carnage at a seminary in Yonkers on Tuesday.

Workers at St. Jospeh's, who asked not to be named, were met with blasphemous scenes on arriving at work on June 7, the day after the anniversary.

The building was defiled with spray-painted pentagrams, upside-down crosses, while a statue of Jesus was daubed with pentagrams.

A series of Slayer-inspired graffiti was also left at the scene, including "Reign In Blood", the title of group's seminal 1986 album, reports MTV.

Apparently the National Day of Slayer was promoted this year by a website affiliated with the American Nihilist Underground Society, who called on fans to listen to the band's music on June 6.

They also advised fans kill a "neighbor's dog" and spray-paint "Slayer logos on churches, synagogues or cemeteries."

- yahoo news

Is this going to be an annual event?

No, just 6th June every year, crack open your Slayer, doesn't matter what the year is. I odn't see any reason why 6/6/06 should have been a one off.

Given that 6/6/85 was the day that Josef Menengle's (Angel of Death!) remains were unearthed, 6/6 is a fitting day any year.

Message sent to Nat'l Day of Slayer Task Force and Hessian Studies Society, from UCSD Hessian Student Union:

HESSIAN STUDENT UNION CELEBRATES NATIONAL DAY OF SLAYER AT UCSD

On June 6, 2007, the University of California at San Diego’s own Hessian Student Union held a public celebration of the holiday, National Day of Slayer. The annual event honors the band Slayer, comprised of some of our most historically important cultural figures. Beyond this, we took the opportunity to raise awareness of metal culture, including facilitating fairness and diversity in education by advocacy for the creation of a Hessian Studies Program at our school. Currently UCSD, a large and prestigious American universtity, lacks any courses representing our culture, even though other classes examine hip-hop, pop music, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Our event lasted four hours on Library Walk, the largest walkway on campus. A continuous soundtrack drew attention to the fact we are a culture especially noted for our many musical achievements. Slayer’s music was the highlight, and Reign in Blood and Seasons in the Abyss were played several times in their entirety, but we also sampled Mercyful Fate, Emperor, Deicide, and Darkthrone. The inclusion of Scandinavian bands illustrated the diversity of Hessians by showing the fruits of other countries with important Hessian communities. We made announcements to the passers-by regarding the nature of the holiday, and calling on the university to demonstrate its progressive aspirations by accomodating the Hessian minority. Pamphlets were available explaining the objectives of a Hessian Studies Department.

Unfortunately, the usual reaction was apathy, and some was negative. Numerous people refused fliers, rolled their eyes, mocked us, or crossed to the opposite side of the path. We were even shunned by students wearing Sepultura and Master of Puppets gear. There were positive encounters as well. A student who helped run an Islamic cultural booth told us he enjoyed “Angel of Death.” While recognizing there has been historical conflict between Hessians and Abrahamic monotheists, we saw no need for personal animosity and invited the opportunity for cross-cultural dialogue. He gave us a CD about Islam and took a Hessian Studies brochure. Another metalhead discussed helping us get university funding for our group and recruiting new members. One young lady eagerly inquired about the difference between true and false metal. Some “positive” attention was discouraging: a few professed metalheads claimed to prefer bands like Slipknot to Slayer, or even to have never heard of Slayer (!) Another woman thought we were promoting Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

We believe some disinterest may have been affected by technical issues: printer problems meant we had only a limited number of blurry fliers, and our inadequate speakers failed to fill the whole area with the sweet strains of nihilistic speed metal. Therefore we recommend other Hessian groups plan further ahead and make sure they have top-notch equipment. Also, we suspect some Hessians shunned us because they were too concerned about discrimination and did not want to bring too much attention to us as a group. Indeed, there has been a trend of metalheads cutting their hair, listening to distorted-guitar emo and otherwise attempting to assimilate instead of embracing their heritage. This is an unfortunate indicator that we are still affected by a negative image and underscores the importance of our efforts.

The event was small and some of the attention received was negative. This shows we still have a long way to go toward being recognized as equal members of society. However, that we were able to hold this event anyway (and despite equipment trouble) is a sign of progress, so we are optimistic about Hessians gaining more respect. We write to you in the hope you’ll share our story with your readers, spreading awareness of grassroots Hessian activism and inspiring others to stand up for their culture!

accomodating the Hessian minority

PUKE!!!...

Edit:
While the line quoted above made me retch, the idea of a student club geared toward Hessian values and artistic expression is one that I've toyed with for a while.  As you hinted in your essay however, the obstacles are a bit daunting.  At my university specifically, the number of metal listeners (at least as far as I can tell judging by appearace and limited interaction) is pitiably small.  I believe I've seen one "Beneath the Remains" shirt, three or four Slayer shirts, and I've been recognized for my Burzum shirt two or three times -- in two and a half years.  In addition, each of the "metalheads" that I've actually had a conversation with seemed to be more concerned with maintaining the "alterno-northwest-college town-faux-sophistication-with-a-slight-edge" persona that seems so common on college campuses, than actually believing in anything beyond spreading "Stop genocide in Darfur" flyers.  Indeed, I would go so far as to say that I'm likely the ONLY "Hessian" at my 14,000 student university.  So a student club just for me seems a little redundant.

At my university specifically, the number of metal listeners (at least as far as I can tell judging by appearace and limited interaction) is pitiably small.  I believe I've seen one "Beneath the Remains" shirt, three or four Slayer shirts, and I've been recognized for my Burzum shirt two or three times -- in two and a half years.  In addition, each of the "metalheads" that I've actually had a conversation with seemed to be more concerned with maintaining the "alterno-northwest-college town-faux-sophistication-with-a-slight-edge" persona that seems so common on college campuses, than actually believing in anything beyond spreading "Stop genocide in Darfur" flyers.  Indeed, I would go so far as to say that I'm likely the ONLY "Hessian" at my 14,000 student university.  So a student club just for me seems a little redundant.

All of this is very true, but I have to ask: if we don't find some better way of recognizing each other, that is as honest Hessians, how are we ever going to do anything but survive alone? No change comes of that path.

Heh, sorry to make you puke. I don't really want the campus to "accomodate the Hessian minority". I tried to parody the way so many minority activist groups clamor for "inclusion" by aping some of their rhetoric. Bad strategy?

Heh, sorry to make you puke. I don't really want the campus to "accomodate the Hessian minority". I tried to parody the way so many minority activist groups clamor for "inclusion" by aping some of their rhetoric. Bad strategy?

I think the strategy is fine; it is meant to be a parody and effective action simulataneously.

Any pics?  Sounds like an interesting event.

Some PDFs or scans of the fliers and brochures might be cool, too.

I think the strategy is fine; it is meant to be a parody and effective action simulataneously.

That strategy is only alright with me if it's perfectly clear to EVERYONE that it's a parody.  If it's just an inside joke or whatever, I'd argue very strongly that it's damaging to our cause in the end.  Our major selling point to the masses is our honesty, bluntness, and lack of contradictions.  If we criticize something that another group does, we make special effort not to do that ourselves.  I guess you could call it a sort of "moral high ground," but that almost makes me puke again.  Without this aspect, what would draw an intelligent "normal" individual who doesn't initially agree with our more difficult to digest views and ideas?  The other problem is that, if this is a clear parody, that opens you up to allegations of racism, ridiculous though they may be.  If this is an issue that you want to take on, defend, and give some focus to, then that could be fine, but that doesn't seem like a very good strategy for recruitment efforts.  On that note, I'll say that I've really enjoyed this whole "Slayer holiday" thing.  Simple stuff like that almost certainly does more good for recruitment efforts than any well thought out anti-societal propaganda.  

I'll make clear again: I don't criticize your efforts; you're doing more than I am; I just take offense to that one line.    

ImortleHut

"Indeed, I would go so far as to say that I'm likely the ONLY "Hessian" at my 14,000 student university.  So a student club just for me seems a little redundant."

It's worth a try. A friend & I started up a metal society at Uni. It was a little difficult, but it all worked out in the end. I even met some fellow ANUSites in the process.

On Library Walk:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb260/grandinquisitor1879/National%20Day%20of%20Slayer/ucsdslayerday1.jpg

Pics of flyers:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb260/grandinquisitor1879/National%20Day%20of%20Slayer/ucsdslayerday2.jpg

The flyers were all given out, & no scans, but the important parts were mostly taken from hessian.org.

Right now the Hessian Student Union's not an official club. I looked into club registration, but it doesn't fit the requirements yet. I went ahead with the "fake" club for NDoS because many non-campus-affiliated groups protest there anyway. If it attracts enough interested metalheads, it could qualify though.

To Meganerd: I thought the parody element was absurd enough to be obvious. I don't think parody has to conflict with telling the truth. However, some people I encountered appeared to take it wholly seriously (& some took the whole thing as a joke), so you have a point. I'm not too worried though, the approach can & should be improved for possible future events, & this is the place to discuss it anyway.

Message sent to Nat'l Day of Slayer Task Force and Hessian Studies Society, from UCSD Hessian Student Union

Good iniative shown. More people like yourself are needed to take Hessianism further. I offer this: consider all criticism carefully but disregard anything that has a basis in ignorance/ stupidity -- it will only slow you down.

Metal fans are something of a rarity in general; as a rule of thumb I've found that vaguely smart metal fans exist as 1 per 10,000. However, I'd expect a university campus to be someting more like 1 per 1,000.

I will stipulate that when I say 'smart metal fan' it doesn't necessarily mean 'Hessian': I'm still gambling on that percentage being better than 1 per 1,000,000.

As a university society it ought to still be possible to appeal to non-university students by organizing local band nights / metal radio shows / running a metal club night. Communicating/liasing with the 'outside' community will help to boost your profile and help maintain interest in an otherwise (mostly) unrewarding job.

I've had a fair degree of success in running some metal events that has had quite a few smart metal fans that are actually worth more than shit but hithereto no real 'Hessians'.

I tried to parody the way so many minority activist groups clamor for "inclusion" by aping some of their rhetoric.

Much like this:

Amnesty for Varg Vikernes!

:)