Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Hessian.org / Hessianism - Translations

Hessian.org / Hessianism - Translations
August 11, 2006, 04:39:51 PM
This is a simple idea based in a similar vein to the article translations for ANUS, NDoS also boasts multilingual pages.

A full translation of the Hessian Website and translations of the other written work we have could be beneficial. I want to take this to a world wide platform, translations should help acheive this goal.

If you can help then post below. I'll try to create a list of what to translate in order of importance.

Obvious languages include:

Norwegian, Swedish, German other languages such as Hebrew, Portuguese (esp. South America), French, Spanish, Ebonic ought to prove useful.

Completed Translations (excluding music guide):

Finnish

Re: Hessian.org / Hessianism - Translations
August 12, 2006, 09:47:37 AM
I guess i could give a try on translating it to Norwegian.
Might take some time, since i don't really have too much time to work on it now.

August 12, 2006, 12:13:38 PM
I suggest working methodically. Try to finish a page once you have started it. Even if you only translate one page, it is better than none. There ought to be other Norwegians that can help.

I suggest working through the pages like this:

homepage - http://www.hessian.org
culture - http://www.hessian.org/metal/culture/
values - http://www.hessian.org/metal/culture/values/

The Music page is rather lengthy. I'd like to see the other ideas translated first as they are the key to understanding Hessianism. The music page is just a nice guide.

Completed translations can be mailed/messaged to me

August 12, 2006, 12:31:26 PM
Just one question before i start translating.
Probably a stupid one, but I want to get this right if I'm going to do it. ;)
Hope there are some Norwegians here who can answer;
Hessian isn't exactly a word you'll find in the dictionary or translator, what would hessian be in norwegian?
Simply "en hessianer", "hessianske verdier", "hessiansk musikk", "hessianisme", etc.?

August 12, 2006, 02:14:03 PM
Just one question before i start translating.
Probably a stupid one, but I want to get this right if I'm going to do it. ;)
Hope there are some Norwegians here who can answer;
Hessian isn't exactly a word you'll find in the dictionary or translator, what would hessian be in norwegian?
Simply "en hessianer", "hessianske verdier", "hessiansk musikk", "hessianisme", etc.?

I've no clue. But first the word derives etymologically from the word Hessen (more or less extinct) tribe/region/federal state of Germany. In German: Hessen is a noun, which signify its region; Hessin (female)/Hesse (male) - singular, Hessen - plural, signify person(s); hessisch - adjective.
I can't help myself with this Norwegian Wikipedia Article.

As well as I know, you all use the word as metaphor - not to designate ones ethnical heritage. Therefore it's a hard choice. Let it either be in English, "nordify" it (but this will perhaps cause an unrest among the concerning nordic linguists) or translate it from German to Nynorsk.

Edit: I suppose it's better to let it be in English. It's too artificial and separated in its etymological meaning.

I really don't know, because I didn't come in contact with much people/crowd/anthropomorphe Scheiße/Plebians here in my homeland Germany, but in German I never got metalheads referred to Hessians.

Ah, I don't want to cross your plans. I also wondered some time ago how Hessian could be understandably translated into other languages. Hah, good that this is not my job.  ;)

August 12, 2006, 02:36:45 PM
Good reply Thrakhath, our use of the word is related to its historical context but not equal to. Apparently it is a word in wider use in California.

I'd suggest keeping the word in English and using quotation marks to show that it is out of place or not a natural Norwegian word. Evenn if we chance this in the future, it is not a massive worry: search and replace is a useful tool. Unfortunately, translating the entire article into Norwegian requires a human.

Thrakhath can I volunteer you to translate into German?

August 12, 2006, 02:57:27 PM
Thrakhath can I volunteer you to translate into German?

Perhaps, I could do this "better" - to translate into German - than the other way around, because my English is improvised, or in other words, plainly sucks.

It doesn't look after too much text content - in contrary to the whole Anus.com page. Practicable. But  I can't give full promise if there is someone here who is faster in transcripting or giving you the result earlier than me. I don't have got much time the next days. I should have known about your project earlier. Let me see what I can do.

August 12, 2006, 03:43:37 PM
Neat idea.

Finnish translation of the whole site is on its way.

Which encoding should I use: ANSI or Unicode or UTF-8? Anus standard seems to be Unicode, so I am currently using it.

August 12, 2006, 05:14:55 PM
Neat idea.

Finnish translation of the whole site is on its way.

Which encoding should I use: ANSI or Unicode or UTF-8? Anus standard seems to be Unicode, so I am currently using it.

I'd need to ask Alexis. Best to go with the standard of anus.com, whatever that is. Unicode sounds right.

August 12, 2006, 05:34:58 PM
UTF-8 is the best way to go, as FF and Netscape tend to fuck up pages encoded into UNICODE.

August 12, 2006, 05:37:54 PM
Ok, UTF-8 it shall be.

I have finished the job, excluding the music guide for now. EDIT: Nevermind.

Check your PM 0113581321345589.

August 12, 2006, 08:40:08 PM
UTF-8 is the best way to go, as FF and Netscape tend to fuck up pages encoded into UNICODE.

Could you do a Swedish translation? Or perhaps get one of the other Swedes if you are busy.

The Finnish translation is done! It will be uploaded as soon as possible. A high standard was set, all links and metas (keywords) were translated. The other translations should do so as well.

If you find time to translate the music page, then it would good if only for completion.

August 12, 2006, 09:27:36 PM
Hey man, I can translate all site of hessian.org in spanish, if you don´t mind. Well tell me, and  I will do it.

August 12, 2006, 09:32:31 PM
Make it so.

Please translate the keywords and be wary of the numbering in culture.htm, it should be fixed now though.
And use UFT-8 encoding as requested by Alexis.

Thanks.

August 12, 2006, 10:16:14 PM
I would still translate it into German. But I must catch some spare time to do so. If it isn't needed as soon as possible...