Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Medieval band covers Black Sabbath in Latin

Medieval band covers Black Sabbath in Latin
August 12, 2006, 06:56:14 PM
"Sabbatum" is a tribute album like no other � 12 Black Sabbath classic songs played by early music band Rondellus and sung in Latin language.

Can You imagine what Black Sabbath would have sounded like if Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Bill Ward would have formed the band in the 14th century? Would "War Pigs" or "The Wizard" have been as powerful if played on medieval instruments like lute, fiddle and harp?

Curious? So was Rondellus, the renowned Estonian medieval music band. They took 12 Black Sabbath classics and turned them into something totally unheard.

http://www.sabbatum.com/

I think I heard the War Pigs version done by these guys and I think its all a really cool idea. Maybe it will get some to see the similarities between heavy metal and earlier music forms. Texture-wise, metal and medieval music seem similar, with one voice sometimes harmonized in 5ths(powerchords) or 4ths carrying the whole of the song.

Damn, the mp3's doesn't seem to work.
Anyone who has this album?

Damn, the mp3's doesn't seem to work.
Anyone who has this album?

album ist da

GS

Re: Medieval band covers Black Sabbath in Latin
November 11, 2006, 06:23:50 AM
I'm impressed by what I heard. While seemingly very novel and all that, it parrallels the best metal bands that followed after Sabbath - continuing to expand and eventually eliminate the very basic blues or rock idiom of the sound into something more complex and mystical (or less urban/British). And of course Sabbath themselves did this on later albums. So basically early tracks like "Behind The Wall of Sleep" and 'Wizard" take on a much more Celtic mood, while songs like "Symptom of The Universe" and “After Forever” are perfectly rendered into brooding, often severe, monastic chants. Structure, particularly in the case of the later, retains the very cryptic dense atmosphere of the original. The weaker translations are on the level of the more expressive neo-folk acts or even something like Nico’s Marble Index.

Maybe we can organize and post an upload link @ every forum that has a Drudkh thread?

Re: Medieval band covers Black Sabbath in Latin
November 23, 2011, 09:43:48 AM
Interesting. I'll upload this later.