Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Our liberal friends are incorrect again

Our liberal friends are incorrect again
April 14, 2011, 02:50:37 AM
Culture isn't just skin deep:

But Kitayama and Na found differently. In their study, they had European-American and Asian-American students do an exercise in which they were told to memorize faces and behaviors. For example, they might see a woman's face and read that Julie checks the fire alarms every night before bed. In a second phase of the experiment, the researchers found evidence that European-Americans had made an inference about Julie's personality during the first memory task, while Asian-Americans had not.

One way they did this was actually measuring participants' brain wave patterns. For example, if a European-American had seen the information above and later was shown Julie's face, immediately followed by personality traits, such as courageous or brave, that clearly go against the traits implied by her behavior, a particular flash of brain activity would happen within a split second, demonstrating "surprise." But in Asian-Americans, such a brain activity didn't happen because they hadn't assumed from Julie's behavior that she was cautious or neurotic.

This shows that there are real cultural differences in how people perceive others, Kitayama says. "It isn't just a matter of intentional deliberate effort, but the immediate response to somebody's behavior appears to be very different."

"We often feel that culture is like clothes; you strip them off, and we are all humans," Kitayama says. "There's some truth to that, but studies like this begin to demonstrate that culture can go much deeper. What appears to be a natural being, or a human mind, may be culturally shaped or formed."

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-04-actions-personality-east-west.html
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

Re: Our liberal friends are incorrect again
April 14, 2011, 08:47:35 AM
I thought liberals tended to overemphasise the role of culture? to the point that any natural differences are almost nil (or 1.6% or whatever).

Re: the logical fallacy linked. This is basically the main fallacy that I see in arguments, and I was always curious as to why it's so rarely mentioned.
"A is part of group G, members of G tend to have characteristic X, therefore A also should have characteristic X". fuuuuuuu

April 14, 2011, 01:54:18 PM
I thought liberals tended to overemphasise the role of culture?

Close. By fraudulently minimizing heredity, culture than looms larger. Culture is something liberal activists can control, manupulate people with (whiteness studies), or stamp out as not progressive, etc. This is the multiculturalism phase.

It is eventually found that commercializing everything in life including cultures while maintaining the suppression of human biodiversity is easier. This is the integrationist phase right before internal collapse.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

April 15, 2011, 12:53:55 PM
Liberalism thinks it appeals to the misunderstood kids who sat at a corner of the lunch room, all gothed out and nerdly and full of creativity.

In actuality, it appeals to the kids who did the same shit as everyone else, without distinction.

If your ego is bruised by life... invent a new religion: progress. Life is bad, everything is bad, until you add progress. This is why people say liberalism is a religion.

In order to have that progress, you have to toss out every order except progress... so away go the native cultures, languages and learning.

Replace them with inferior versions. Insist these are THE BEST EVAR.

Soon there is no way for people to succeed or even survive without allegiance to your progressive movement. As you take over power, repeating the right political dogma will be more important than having the right answer.

Soon, your self-fulfilling prophecy becomes true. You have replaced reality with a fantasy called progress. But because it was a fantasy, it breaks down when applied to reality, so you must summon the secret police to make sure you no one says anything bad about your Utopian, progressive, dogma state.

April 21, 2011, 01:17:33 AM
Another irresponsible liberal myth:

Part of the NAACP’s official statement on education policy reads: “Quality public education for African American and Latino students is persistently threatened as a direct result of inequitable school funding.”[5]

Responding in 2001 to criticism that blacks and Hispanics perform poorly on the SAT, College Board President Gaston Caperton declared, “Tests are not the problem…. The problem we have is an unfair education system in America—an unequal education system.”[6]

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Reports/2011/04/The-Myth-of-Racial-Disparities-in-Public-School-Funding#_ftn3

The research exhibit linked shows that the worst performers by demographic have had a greater portion of education funding allocated to their group for twenty years in fact, yet there is no change in the achievement gap. All that's happened really is that programs for gifted students that were once prolific in the 1970s have seen cancellations across the board in order to make the pursuit of this forced equality intellectual defect financially viable.

April 21, 2011, 01:26:10 AM
We treat the above average as average, and try to pull the shit up to their level, while the best languish in sub-mediocrity.

April 22, 2011, 01:40:05 PM
We treat the above average as average, and try to pull the shit up to their level, while the best languish in sub-mediocrity.

i think this is a true statement and something that I have thought about also thank you for your post lol

Education is a means of taming the mind. Do not remove passion; direct it to your own ends.

April 22, 2011, 02:55:58 PM

Close. By fraudulently minimizing heredity, culture then looms larger. Culture is something liberal activists can control, manupulate people with (whiteness studies), or stamp out as not progressive, etc. This is the multiculturalism phase.

Liberals believe in culture the same way they believe in race: as a manipulation. Their culture is nation-state culture, or culture of no-culture formed from mixed ingredients and television shows. They use race as a weapon in their war against class. Liberalism is perpetual solipsism with a side order of passive aggression; its ultimate goal is to empower the individual to sabotage others, as a means of getting ahead and achieving "freedom."

Typical liberal user [ meme explanation - NSFW ]:

As an undergraduate at Antioch, I conducted ethnographic research across Europe and in the U.S., interviewing women from all aspects of the industry about their lives and their professions (published in the collection "Sex Work Matters: Power and Intimacy in the Sex Industry"). The subject of sex work and workers' rights became a passion about which I've written in print and online, everywhere from academic and literary journals to political blogs.

Another reason I didn't think my story would be shocking is because, well, my story isn't shocking. Whereas some women's road to sex work entails coercion and last-ditch survival, for me, this wasn't the case. The product of a working-class home -- the first in her family to go to college, let alone study abroad -- my working as a stripper began as a means to an end. Prior to stripping, I'd worked in fast food. I'd worked in retail. I even spent one summer delivering singing telegrams. I was used to long hours, unreasonable bosses and very little pay; stripping -- at least at first -- was the ideal job.

But sex work, I would learn, was a far from perfect occupation. Prostitution, in particular, was not the job for me. I was simply not suited for a profession that relied on dishonesty. I got caught up in the industry's pull toward materialism and greed. The industry's criminalized and stigmatized nature only exacerbated the rigors of the work. I kept my job a secret, even from my family and friends. Living a lie, I lied to myself. My own denial and self-justification made it near impossible to extricate myself from the business. It was only by writing about my experiences that I was able to see my truth.

http://www.salon.com/life/sex_work/index.html?story=/mwt/feature/2011/05/04/hooker_teacher_what_i_was_thinking

It's not her fault she was a hooker, and she doesn't understand why people don't want prostitutes around their children.

June 02, 2011, 11:56:08 PM
From an evolutionary perspective, the reason why people construct ethnic identities and engage in ethnic nepotism is that by doing so they increase the survival of their genes. Central to discussion is the concept of inclusive fitness.

As Richard Dawkins explicated in his 1976 book, The Selfish Gene, it is genes that survive and are passed on across generations. Some of the individual’s most distinctive genes will be found in fellow ethnics as well as in offspring, siblings, nephews, cousins, and grand-children. By benefiting extended kin, people benefit copies of their genes.

http://www.wermodandwermod.com/newsitems/news310520110000.html

Contemporary science, ancient traditions and religions all agree. Individuals are vessels, essentially serving as a means to extrinsic ends. Individuals cannot primarily be an end because this enterprise will disintigrate as the history of liberal triumph has shown.

June 06, 2011, 10:29:07 PM
Study: grinding poverty gets eliminated as the cause of extremism, so foreign aid to alleviate poverty does squat to stop militancy.

The study, conducted by researchers from prestigious American universities, found no link between poverty and support for militant groups.

The findings undermine a central pillar of the Conservative government’s radical new policy on aid, which will deliver almost £1.4bn to Pakistan over the next five years as part of a strategy to protect Britain from terrorist attack.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/pakistan/8526473/Poverty-does-not-breed-extremism-in-Pakistan-study-finds.html

June 10, 2011, 04:28:02 PM
Liberalism is a mental illness.

I think it's as simple as victimhood-logic. "It's not my fault, it must be someone else, which means that all misfortunes are the result of external forces."

It claims to be individualism... but it removes what makes the individual whole.

June 12, 2011, 02:31:55 AM
All the more reason there needs to be a television show entitled "Reasoning and Ethics with Lions."

This week, watch as a young liberal blogger and self proclaimed pacifist explains multiculturalism to a pride of lions. The results will be riveting as she educates the lions on tolerance and love for the zebra and deer. After all, each walks on four legs and belongs to the animal kingdom.

Tune in next week for the activist art student and vegan who attempts to show that meat is murder. He has been quoted as saying, "But all those buffalo are so innocent and furry, killing them is wrong! Animals have rights!"
There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us

June 12, 2011, 10:32:50 PM

Close. By fraudulently minimizing heredity, culture than looms larger. Culture is something liberal activists can control, manupulate people with (whiteness studies), or stamp out as not progressive, etc. This is the multiculturalism phase.

It is eventually found that commercializing everything in life including cultures while maintaining the suppression of human biodiversity is easier. This is the integrationist phase right before internal collapse.

yes.  culture is a belittling and dehumanizing construct of advertisers & marketers (i.e. governments, churches, educators, etc.),  its goal is to convince you that happiness is achievable through false forms of community, and, in particular, through the endless outpouring of money.  the cultural norm dictates that spending/acquiring will bring you closer to a utopian totality wherein all persons are indistinguishable. in actuality,  the very apparent mechanism at work underneath "culture" is a process of making all persons susceptible to this mania for more and more stuff; people are made numb by the bombardment of culture, and while sitting idle, their sole past-time - while awaiting a bail-out - is to buy things.  the cultural machine has no interest in establishing "individuals," only more amenable consumers.

and in response to the largely facetious sentiment in your original post: culture, because of its fraudulent, man-made origins, is nothing more than skin deep.