Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Thinking about death.

Thinking about death.
April 17, 2011, 12:06:35 AM
how do you guys manage? People seem to be pre-occupied with bullshit. When i was younger i was great at distractin myself, but now i'm not. Distraction doesn't work so well anymore and it doesn't feel right. Almost everything reminds me of death. I think about death every 10 seconds. I don't tell people in real life, cause hell, they have finite time too, and why make them depressed?

Re: Thinking about death.
April 17, 2011, 02:27:02 AM
Death isn't something to dwell on.  You'd be better off dwelling on life, since that's here and now, rather than at the end.  I "manage" by planning my death - around 65, fighting a bear, after having accomplished the following goals, blah blah blah.  Going down that train of thought brings me back to what I'm doing, and what I could be doing/need to do to advance my designs.

April 17, 2011, 02:27:46 AM
Think about certain other people dying. That helps me.  Surely there are people you want dead.
Nobody has freedom. In fact, everybody has freedom.

April 17, 2011, 02:28:55 AM
Make the most of the time you have, for one day you shall die.

April 17, 2011, 02:29:57 AM
I try not to think about it.

April 17, 2011, 02:49:40 AM
I'm way more concerned about the upcoming alcohol sickness than death. Worrying about death is totally useless.
You're quite hostile.

I got a right to be hostile, man, my people been persecuted!

April 17, 2011, 02:54:48 AM
You know the moment in Fight Club when brad pitt burns ed norton's hand and tells him to realize that one day he will die? This is how i feel on the regular. I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about this, I think about it when i'm outside...if i walk past cemetaries its a terrible sinking feeling. After dealing with all the dregs of our (currently completely commodified) lives this is where people end up...
I don't see this as a disease and would hate for Big pharma to capitalize off me. Death is obvious, and death to the best of our knowledge is certain. If a person can't ignore it, they'll obviously go ballistic. Depressed people are in treatment/confinement because depression and the idleness it produces does not do capitalistic society any good.

Yes thinking about death makes the body feel terrible, because the body wants to live, it still exists for the possibility of sex. you cant really talk to other people about this, because they are also organisms with a "will to live" due to biological tricks.
i don't socialize well because i find a lot of shit that people are enthused about really mundane, pointless, arbitrary. Sex is everyone's top priority, then after that comes survival(making groups for resources) and then entertainment (which can be dynamic because we have more folds in our brains than chimpanzees that play on monkeybars). Politics is difficult for me to take interest in, because the way i see it it's just people being partial to land masses, slanging shit at each other and demonstrating how far their empathy actually extends(not very)
Death and existence are the two things on my mind.
the way i see it the only thing left to do is to preoccupy myself with something like theoretical math or physics, learning about multiple dimensions and stuff of the like.

April 17, 2011, 04:01:09 AM
I think about death every 10 seconds.

Don't fucking quote me on this.

1. Stop tunnel vision. You're going to see more of what you focus on. Force yourself to stop thinking about death.
2. Truth: we have no idea what lies beyond. Could be good. This world was good enough to come about in the first place, and is amazing.
3. Irrelevant. It wouldn't have stopped you: search your heart; you would have wanted to be born anyway.
4. Relaxation. After a long and full life, it may be the right thing to be dead for eternity. I dunno. It's hard for us to say either way.
5. Time. We're also not sure what time is, other than a record of interaction. And if those are fractal? Then time is more than cyclic, it's geometric.
6. Futility. Better to fantasize about raping horses. At least that's in your control.
7. Uniqueness. None of us are all that unique. Consciousness existed before us.
8. Unknowns. What the hell is dark matter? Do entangled particles rejoin? Does consciousness project? Death may not be binary, but an in-between state.
9. True terror: you could be reincarnated as a Mac user. Sometimes death doesn't seem so bad.

Hope that helps.

April 17, 2011, 04:12:52 AM
Death isn't something to dwell on.  You'd be better off dwelling on life, since that's here and now, rather than at the end.  I "manage" by planning my death - around 65, fighting a bear, after having accomplished the following goals, blah blah blah.  Going down that train of thought brings me back to what I'm doing, and what I could be doing/need to do to advance my designs.

haha thats funny i always think of that, about fighting a bear before i die. When you come to British Columbia you WILL have that opportunity!
He who fears the dark, shall never see the light
http://www.last.fm/user/Beastofsodom

April 17, 2011, 02:02:24 PM
To the OP: What is your vocation?

To face the modern world without the pillars of traditional society is to be alone in the worst sense of the word. What you have shared, specifically in your second post, reminds me of my own recent experiences (re-)entering the more depraved parts of society. Real and regular interchange with some kind of community is ideal, but as you have probably discovered, this sort of thing is hard to find, without lowering one's standards in a way that often seems poorly compromising. Though not for everyone, nowadays, most recommendable here are religious communities with committed practitioners. A good resource would be a local Zen teacher / sitting group, fairly common in the West, though not all legitimate. PM me if you have questions about this.

So, other than finding a good community... - Engaging in activities which require a relaxed state of focus, like drawing, woodworking or playing music, is one of the healthiest things to do provided you have the right mindset about it. These all involve an externalization by channeling your powers into something objective beyond yourself - in plainer words, these activities help you “get out of your head.” Perhaps better still would be exercise and good nutrition. The more vigorous the exercise the better, but anything that gets you moving is beneficial. Nutrition is a long story and too often overlooked, but the best that you can do is to try to get an appropriate amount of Vitamin D through food and sunlight, and avoid processed grains and sugars. Book rec: Nourishing Traditions.

Unfortunately, the insights and experiences of everyone here will not resolve your struggle. That will and must come from patience and appropriate self-observation with regards to your own desires and motivations. This sort of understanding - as with anything else - only comes with time.

Rot

April 17, 2011, 03:01:29 PM
I had the same problem maybe 5 or 6 years ago, if you keep living you will eventually stop obessessing about death. I'm way more concerned about how I'm living my life than how its going to end and only think about death during close calls like when some asshole almost hits me with their car or I see a tornado heading my way. Avoid death best you can until it happens.

April 17, 2011, 04:02:03 PM
I would suggest stop thinking about you and your life and think about something more important.  Maybe something that you believe in. Maybe the needs of someone close to you.  This is like going to see a movie and not paying attention to any of it, because you are afraid that the movie will be over at any minute.  If you are so frightened by death, maybe you should get to work on making your time count.

All festivals end as festivals must.

April 17, 2011, 04:14:23 PM
Here's the thing about death. It's something that everybody and every thing does eventually. It's not special.  Therefore, it's not something to be too concerned about.  There are literally hundreds of thousands of theories about what happens after life, but really who knows.  Death can only be delayed, not stopped. So if death is inevitable, and if you're honest with yourself, what happens afterward is a mystery, then there really is nothing to worry about. Enjoying life is what's important.

April 17, 2011, 04:54:30 PM
how do you guys manage? People seem to be pre-occupied with bullshit. When i was younger i was great at distractin myself, but now i'm not. Distraction doesn't work so well anymore and it doesn't feel right. Almost everything reminds me of death. I think about death every 10 seconds. I don't tell people in real life, cause hell, they have finite time too, and why make them depressed?

If you're afraid of it, have you tried to understand it better? Have you explored philosophy, spirituality, metaphysics, occultism, shamanism, etc? That would be the obvious thing to do...
www.TheMetalDiscourser.com
The universe is naked, attack its corpus, take a real stab at your life and let the blood flow — RIP the sound of the very fabric tearing.

April 17, 2011, 04:58:33 PM
I would suggest stop thinking about you and your life and think about something more important.  Maybe something that you believe in. Maybe the needs of someone close to you.  This is like going to see a movie and not paying attention to any of it, because you are afraid that the movie will be over at any minute. 
yes i do feel sad when a song ends.
I dunno, i'm not really self oriented...i've experienced almost a kind of ego death, where i put myself last..i live on minimal possessions, and all i really want for myself is to understand stuff more extensively and get rid of my own biases, and to give and help.. even if people parallel to me are doing damage at way faster rates . I always wonder if there's a point of willing my brain to synthesize bursts of happiness... What exactly is the point of these little fragments of joy accumulating over time? Is the brain only doing this to get me to stay alive and breed? it's a really "biological" feeling when you realize that you are not that much different from a tree and you look around and see organic life for what it is.
Other people fill their lives with leisure and breeding. Watching movies, sports, video games, listening to music, going to bars/clubs, fornicating. They focus on themselves,
Distraction still seems to be the only solution, to get the mind off death. (not just my own but the deaths of other people)

"The vanity of existence is revealed in the whole form existence assumes: in the infiniteness of time and space contrasted with the finiteness of the individual in both; in the fleeting present as the sole form in which actuality exists; in the contingency and relativity of all things; in continual becoming without being; in continual desire without satisfaction; in the continual frustration of striving of which life consists. Time and that perishability of all things existing in time that time itself brings about is simply the form under which the will to live, which as thing in itself is imperishable, reveals to itself the vanity of its striving. Time is that by virtue of which everything becomes nothingness in our hands and loses all real value."

"Yet what a difference there is between our beginning and our end. We begin in the madness of carnal desire and the transport of voluptuousness, we end in the dissolution of all our parts and the musty stench of corpses. And die road from the one to the other too goes, in regard to our well-being and enjoyment of life, steadily downhill: happily dreaming childhood, exultant youth, toil-filled years of manhood, infirm and often wretched old age, the torment of the last illness and finally the throes of death - does it not look as if existence were an error the consequences of which gradually grow more and more manifest. We shall do best to think of life ...as a process of disillusionment: since this is, clearly enough, what everything that happens to us is calculated to produce. "

-Shopenhauer

What's keeping me going is that existence is fucking strange..The fact that i have my eyes open in this moment is bizarre to me. I live for every revelation basically.