Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Site Changes

Site Changes
August 13, 2006, 07:01:14 PM
A few of you probably know that this forum has a parent site. It has recently been renovated for easier navigation and promotion of underdiscovered death metal, black metal, speed metal, thrash, grindcore and heavy/doom metal bands.

If you see any errors, please report them.

If you simply have critique or want to talk about the site, please do so here.

Our goal is to give more support to nearly-forgotten bands like Molested, Cenotaph, Malediction, Merciless, Torchure and Necrovore so that new generations can discover the actual roots of this genre below the hype ;)

Specific Attractions

1. New About Page explains the site's philosophy toward heavy metal and historical context.

2. Metal CDs section consolidates and condenses our knowledge of how to get ahold of rare metal.

3. Styles section now works more smoothly in a single pane.

4. Contest Section is there so you can win free CDs/DVDs from collaborating labels. We get nothing from this except occasional promo copies, but believe in getting free (good) stuff to our readers if possible.

5. Metal MP3 FAQ has been updated to cover recent advances in ways of swapping metal via MP3 files.

6. The new look for reviews is under testing and in coming weeks we'll move the rest to this new look.

Thanks for reading, as always.

Annihilaytorr

Re: Site Changes
August 13, 2006, 07:58:01 PM
Maybe this can be fixed by playing around with my browser settings but now the pages no longer fit on the screen correctly and require annoying and needless panning the page from side to side. I was partial to the old colors myself, but whatever floats your boat.

Hey add some Messiah reviews.

August 13, 2006, 09:04:07 PM
well i dont have to scroll side to side but that might just be because i have a wide screen monitor

also ive found on the metal map there isnt new zealand, (the map where you click on a region to bring up a band list) even so my country hasnt produced much it must be worth even a mention... right?

August 13, 2006, 09:41:37 PM
It's a pleasant surprise that you finally decided to have an uniform look with reviews. Also your main site ANUS could benefit from the same kind of treatment for the articles.

euronymous

August 14, 2006, 04:48:06 AM
Where do we have to click now to see this from the new pages?

August 14, 2006, 07:10:08 AM
also ive found on the metal map there isnt new zealand

Oops. We're fond of New Zealand but this is an oversight.

It's a pleasant surprise that you finally decided to have an uniform look with reviews. Also your main site ANUS could benefit from the same kind of treatment for the articles.

Agreed. It's a matter of the time to do the HTML, and since it's up to me to do it (apparently) it becomes a question of spending time either writing reviews or fixing technical stuff.

The technical stuff is easier, the reviews... more rewarding. It's weird that writing is both fun and hard work.

the new choice of font allows a better clarity in large sections of text, thanks to a lesser amount of curves in the letters. The space between the lines of text is now perfect and fitting to the font used

Font used for band name at the top of the review page could be more fitting.

You liked the Roman for the titles? OK, perhaps. I try to stick to relatively standard fonts because people are visiting this from a number of types of browsers, OSs, devices, etc.

The styles link which should be present on all pages.

The styles section could look a lot cooler and be done in Macromedia Flash, but perhaps that's too 'mainstream,' or something.

My favorite new edition is the classical section.  Not only is it needed, but it looks great too.  Perhaps a guide to buying/downloading the right CDs is in order or should be integrated into the reviews.

There are some technical issues with Flash that are disliked. The DHTML/CSS format should work on most browsers, and is nice enough looking. I'm hoping it's like smart people look at their desired others: looks, content and attitude should fit together into an overall palatable package.

I had nothing to do with the classical section, but I recommend thanking our staff for a necessary job well done. I know kontinual and Alexis had something to do with it.

August 14, 2006, 07:48:34 AM
Agreed. It's a matter of the time to do the HTML, and since it's up to me to do it (apparently) it becomes a question of spending time either writing reviews or fixing technical stuff.

Out of manpower? I am fairly competent with CSS and HTML.

Where do I enlist?

August 14, 2006, 08:06:28 AM
Out of manpower? I am fairly competent with CSS and HTML.

Where do I enlist?

You also know Finnish, which is useful. Don't sell yourself short.  ;)

euronymous

August 14, 2006, 10:54:12 AM

The styles link which should be present on all pages.

The styles link leads to this instead of this that is the page I was talking about.

August 16, 2006, 07:57:19 AM
this that is the page I was talking about.

Thanks for clarifying -- this is now incorporated into the "styles" page.

We've fixed the reviews template to work with Mozilla/Firefox. It already worked with Opera (best browser I've used) and IE.

Again, check out our example page

August 16, 2006, 08:00:38 AM
The whole thing looks great.
One question - how come there is no mention of old Benediction (with Mark Greenway) ?

August 16, 2006, 08:08:17 AM
The whole thing looks great.
One question - how come there is no mention of old Benediction (with Mark Greenway) ?

Greenway has proven himself to be a moron.
(http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/14/metal.makeover.ap/index.html)

Prompting our response:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

John Garcia-Silverstein
Hessian Studies Society
PO Box 1004
Alief, TX 77411
(512) 553-4544

Headbangers to Protest Mainstream Media Perception
Metalheads Have Always Had a Clear Opinion on "Social Issues," But It May Not Agree With Media Norm

Austin, TX (August 15, 2006) -- Money rules our society, and determines what gets into the news, which is why metalheads across America are objecting to a recent spate of articles attempting to dominate their culture with status quo norms.

"I opened CNN.com and thought, 'Why aren't they letting us speak for ourselves'?" said Houston metalhead Steve Craig of the article 'Metal gets a makeover: Bands focus on politics instead of parties.' Craig, who plays in Houston metal band Bahimiron, said he felt that metal culture existed independently of the mainstream media, and was now being "normed" by the article.

"They're trying to make it like everything else," he said. "Accept the same way of thinking, which is that humanism and materialism are the only way to live. That's not true. If we believed that, we would be in punk or rock bands instead."

The Hessian Studies Society, a not-for-profit cultural education apparat dedicated to preserving and promoting the culture of "underground metal," or heavy metal music produced outside the handful of companies that control major record labels and news media, has intervened and is organizing protests worlwide.

In their article, "Underground Metal Disagrees With Mainstream Political Trend," the Hessian Studies Society points out that metalheads have always had political beliefs, and they have never needed a makeover. Moreover, this "makeover" involves bringing those political beliefs more into line with accepted norms instead of appreciating them for their unique and insightful view of Western culture.

The article, which can be viewed online at Hessian.org, lambasts the media for making news into a product and denying the veracity of the unique and vital subculture of underground heavy metal.

About Hessians

Hessians, or metalheads, headbangers, threshers, heshers, rivetheads, metallians and longhairs, are a cultural resistance movement founded in the industrial West upon the idea that our flight in fear from the coarser aspects of nature leads us to a spiritless existence, and that only heavy metal music can restore our spirit and thus existential enjoyment of life.

About Hessian Studies

The Hessian Studies Society aims to study Hessian culture, promote it and defend it in the battleground of ideas that is modern society.

http://www.hessian.org/

Hessian Studies Society
a division of Corrupt, Inc.
PO Box 1004
Alief, TX 77411
(512) 553-4544

August 16, 2006, 08:39:13 AM

Cross the Rubicon? There are a few holes and one reason for this upgrade is to give me reason to fill them.

Here is a good place to suggest bands we need to add to the Dark Legions Archive

In the meantime, if you want to help convert the HTML pages to the new format:

1. Download the reviews template. Use our example page to see how to use the template.
2. Post here what band(s) you're going to do within the next 48 hours.
3. MegaUpload or RapidShare the HTML file(s) and post URL here.

Kontinual has been helping and has added a great deal to the archive by cleaning up and making legible these pages. Thanks to him, the Averse Sefira page has been getting more visitors than ever before.

We appreciate all who can help, as do the thousands of visitors from all over the world (highest concentration: Sweden, United States, South America, Japan, Germany, The Netherlands, Iran) who read these pages!

August 16, 2006, 09:20:06 AM
I'll do Ildjarn's page and fix some errors on song titles.

August 16, 2006, 09:26:23 AM

2. Post here what band(s) you're going to do within the next 48 hours.

Agathocles. But not within the next 48 hours....