Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Metal radio

Metal radio
April 19, 2011, 02:25:44 PM
 i always looked on the internet to widen my metal perspective and found new bands that i might like, sense i live in a country where metal is banned and owning a slayer cd would get you arrested...so without condescending if you have any recommendation say it if not there is a lot of other topics to feel superior.
i have been going to this radio for a while now and its really  good but lately its invaded bye stupid genres like goregrind and doom...
http://darksoul7.com/
any suggestions?

Re: Metal radio
April 19, 2011, 03:04:40 PM
last.fm has a pretty good radio service. Just type in the genres/bands you like, and it'll find stuff that is similar. Sometimes it's a shit recommendation, and in that case you can just hit "ban" and the track won't ever be played to you again. I've found a few good bands through that site.

April 19, 2011, 09:14:36 PM
I've been putting doom in my show but its mostly Skepticism and Evoken. FCC bullshit keeps me from making it really ANUS proper but I try to keep the quality high, recently debuted Into Oblivion and the new Blaspherian but its a college station so I don't know how much longer I'll be on.

April 20, 2011, 04:20:57 AM
FCC bullshit keeps me from making it really ANUS proper

Haha, what? What are their rules about?  No cussing?!

April 20, 2011, 01:16:40 PM
I've been putting doom in my show but its mostly Skepticism and Evoken. FCC bullshit keeps me from making it really ANUS proper but I try to keep the quality high, recently debuted Into Oblivion and the new Blaspherian but its a college station so I don't know how much longer I'll be on.

Would you be so kind as to provide a link to listen to your show online, if possible?

April 20, 2011, 02:07:31 PM
Any metal hall member can step up so we can have our own again:

http://www.anus.com/zine/radio/

http://www.kcuf.com/

I could do this in the summer.  How long does each show have to be?

April 20, 2011, 02:33:12 PM
Our station gets  an HD signal from the local NPR affiliate UPR (Utah Public Radio), and we have an internet stream.

Unlike some we don't have archives available, but my show is at http://radio.usu.edu on Fridays 8-10 pm MST. We also can't "promote or endorse" an album, if we call it great or something we have to say "in my opinion" which I just ignore, but the FCC thing is going too far with some language. Our contracts have a Lenny Bruce list of what we can't say which is a great source of comedy, and it can't be "sexual" which considering what I sometimes get away with is a laugher but I don't talk as much anymore. If we get a small FM signal we'll have more liberties but we need listenership for that and its the Ipod generation so what can you do. Plus Cache valley is pretty much owned by that UPR group and no one gets in without their say-so, good ol' libertarian Mormons!

BLAH

The funniest thing happened when I was being interviewed at the station and the director did a drop saying he was about to play some "face melting metal for you all." He played Chevelle. I honestly didn't think I'd last a week but its been 3 years and they've let me go off.

April 20, 2011, 11:06:49 PM
Our station gets  an HD signal from the local NPR affiliate UPR (Utah Public Radio), and we have an internet stream.

Unlike some we don't have archives available, but my show is at http://radio.usu.edu on Fridays 8-10 pm MST. We also can't "promote or endorse" an album, if we call it great or something we have to say "in my opinion" which I just ignore, but the FCC thing is going too far with some language. Our contracts have a Lenny Bruce list of what we can't say which is a great source of comedy, and it can't be "sexual" which considering what I sometimes get away with is a laugher but I don't talk as much anymore. If we get a small FM signal we'll have more liberties but we need listenership for that and its the Ipod generation so what can you do. Plus Cache valley is pretty much owned by that UPR group and no one gets in without their say-so, good ol' libertarian Mormons!

BLAH

The funniest thing happened when I was being interviewed at the station and the director did a drop saying he was about to play some "face melting metal for you all." He played Chevelle. I honestly didn't think I'd last a week but its been 3 years and they've let me go off.

You are a brave soul, sir, trying to bring quality Metal to the airwaves of Deseret.  I salute you.  When I was a kid punk ruled the underground there in Cache, but by the time I got to high school it was jam bands that were the big thing.  I only knew one dude who listed to black/death metal, and that was ten years ago.  Has it improved at all?  Is Beaverstock still going on in the summer there?  Stay strong and do the Lords work.

April 21, 2011, 02:58:02 AM

For radio nihil, probably about like the others. Forty or fifty minutes isn't bad. I like the format they had. A couple songs then some esoterica commentary then back to music again.

April 21, 2011, 04:31:07 AM
Yeah, about 50 minutes is good. Our slots are 2 hours and it gets overbearing, for listener and DJ. Also try to pick a theme and stick with it or have your drops sort of planned out (what you'd like to say), it keeps your focus and keeps the energy up.

April 21, 2011, 01:26:31 PM

For radio nihil, probably about like the others. Forty or fifty minutes isn't bad. I like the format they had. A couple songs then some esoterica commentary then back to music again.

What's the process, then?  Is each show recorded before broadcasting/release, or is it "live"?

MLK

April 21, 2011, 07:58:06 PM

What's the process, then?  Is each show recorded before broadcasting/release, or is it "live"?
sent you a pm.