Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Hilarity of herd behavior

Hilarity of herd behavior
April 29, 2011, 03:28:49 AM
In theory, these are the worst names for kids:

Girls:

1. Nevaeh ("Heaven" spelled backward and one of the most divisive names around, according to Wattenberg.)
   2. Destiny (People dislike names that confer a virtue onto a child, Wattenberg said — and many felt associated this name with exotic dancers.)
   3. Madison
   4. Mackenzie
   5. McKenna
   6. Addison (An example of a masculine named turned feminine, which many people dislike, Wattenberg said)
   7. Gertrude (People said this name is "ugly.")
   8. Kaitlyn (For its "made-up" spelling.)
   9. Makayla
  10. Bertha
  11. Hope

Boys:

1. Jayden
   2. Brayden
   3. Aiden
   4. Kaden (These rhyming names struck many as overdone, Wattenberg reported.)
   5. Hunter (Too much like a last name or "too violent.")
   6. Hayden
   7. Bentley (People dislike brand-name names, Wattenberg found, calling them "trashy")
   8. Tristan
   9. Michael (Too boring, according to some.)
  10. Jackson

http://www.livescience.com/13917-hated-baby-names.html

What kind of ass-sniffing human centipede comes together to name their kids such plastic things?

Re: Hilarity of herd behavior
April 29, 2011, 04:54:42 AM
I gave myself my own 'spirit name' to take into the afterlife, which is also the handle I use on this forum since it's more who I am than my standard name. I figured there's no good reason to go with a name someone else put on you, even though I was perfectly happy with the name on my birth certificate I realized it still wasn't the most ideal name possible in the whole world for my personal tastes. Someone, I think it was Marshall McLuhan, said a good line: "being named at birth is a blow most people never recover from".

April 29, 2011, 05:02:32 AM
Basically the west has replaced tradition with pop culture over the last half century and these names reflect that only too well.

April 29, 2011, 05:03:12 AM
The average elementary school classroom in California has at least 3 Aidan/Aiden/Aydens. Fucking California.

I remember when white people used to make fun of black people for giving their kids stupid names like "Deshawn" or "LaQresha" but it's now it seems pretty evenly matched.

April 29, 2011, 06:33:17 AM
8. Tristan

April 29, 2011, 08:02:49 PM
8. Tristan

sorry dude. i'm a fellow victim of bad naming. my affliction: "tyler"

fucking cringeworthy.

April 29, 2011, 10:03:13 PM
Jayden is really popular with teen moms.

April 30, 2011, 04:33:09 AM
The guy in the picture is Tristan van der Vlis who shot and killed six people in a shopping mall in Alphen aan de Rijn, the Netherlands about three weeks ago. After his shooting spree he shot himself through the head at the cash register of a supermarket. He was a schizophrenic who stopped using his medication. And perhaps having the name Tristan was also a motivation.

April 30, 2011, 06:39:21 PM
Tristan, Bertha, and Michael seem OK to me.

April 30, 2011, 07:23:19 PM
The guy in the picture is Tristan van der Vlis who shot and killed six people in a shopping mall in Alphen aan de Rijn, the Netherlands about three weeks ago. After his shooting spree he shot himself through the head at the cash register of a supermarket. He was a schizophrenic who stopped using his medication. And perhaps having the name Tristan was also a motivation.

hahahaha, i see. well, at least his final day was productive.

April 30, 2011, 08:06:03 PM
Tristan, Bertha, and Michael seem OK to me.

My own grandmother on my father's side was named Bertha - she was a lovely woman and woe unto anyone who would besmirch her name in my presence...you don't fuck with people's grosseltern!!!   I agree with your assessment though - as for most of those names though...bleeeaaarghhhhh!!

May 01, 2011, 10:05:07 PM
This is an interesting subject. While I don't personally like names like Destiny, Faith, Hope etc., I think that they may in fact be much closer to traditional European practice than picking a name from history. Traditional European names were often a word or words that would have been more or less understood by the societies to which they belonged. Beginning from the High Middle Ages onwards those names became fossilised while language moved on, hence their meanings were no longer understood and they were picked instead for their genealogical/historical connotations more and more. Then as the Middle Ages progressed Biblical names increasingly came into popularity. If you really wanted to be like traditional Europeans you would call your sons Red-King or Elf-Council or Tribe-Ruler instead of Ruaidhrí/Rory or Aelfraed/Alfred or Theoderic/Dietrich.

May 02, 2011, 03:11:02 PM
This is an interesting subject. While I don't personally like names like Destiny, Faith, Hope etc., I think that they may in fact be much closer to traditional European practice than picking a name from history. Traditional European names were often a word or words that would have been more or less understood by the societies to which they belonged. Beginning from the High Middle Ages onwards those names became fossilised while language moved on, hence their meanings were no longer understood and they were picked instead for their genealogical/historical connotations more and more. Then as the Middle Ages progressed Biblical names increasingly came into popularity. If you really wanted to be like traditional Europeans you would call your sons Red-King or Elf-Council or Tribe-Ruler instead of Ruaidhrí/Rory or Aelfraed/Alfred or Theoderic/Dietrich.

Great point.  Take the Sagas of the Icelanders, for instance.  Lots of great names in there!  In fact, contrasted with how "boring" the stories are, the names stick out as the only "colorful" aspect.  Harald Tangle-Hair declared he wouldn't comb his hair until he united all of Norway.  Then he changed his name to Harald Fair-Hair!