Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Jon Nodtveidt reportedly commits suicide

Re: Jon Nodtveidt reportedly commits suicide
April 06, 2007, 06:54:47 PM

SACRAMENTUM - Far Away from the Sun

Cheers. I'll look into that.

April 13, 2007, 12:48:54 PM

Why on earth is it sad? If he wanted it that way, why does it bother you? Life means many different things to different people. No need to be such a melodramatic "humanitarian" about it. He did what he wanted to...good for him.  

When a man dying of cancer ends his life, it is a sweet relief.   If a person is chronically insane and in a moment of clarity decides that death is better than living that way, who can argue with that decision. This is something far different.

If Jon  wanted to die that way and he was of a clear mind, then great.  Human beings should have the right to determine the destiny of their lives. But the fact is he was victim of a degenerate philosophy that affected his mind negatively to the point that death was indeed preferable to life.  

Do you really want to be on the side of Satanism, truly one of the dumbest philosophies ever because it is just an inversion of an even dumber ideology, and the mental damage it does?   If degenerate, anti-life  philosophies appeal to you, you might as well drink the koolaid that America is great, McDonalds tastes good, television enriches lives and fossil fuel will never run out.  Your posturing as a tough guy doesn't change the fact that had Jon not been in thrall to stupid ideas he would not have shot himself to death, and in that context, his death is in fact quite sad.

April 13, 2007, 03:54:02 PM
Do you really want to be on the side of Satanism, truly one of the dumbest philosophies ever because it is just an inversion of an even dumber ideology, and the mental damage it does?

Satanism is an offshoot of the general occultism in metal, which we could as easily blame on Motorhead as Black Sabbath. It's looking for something on the other side of accepted reality. Some reason beyond the mechanistic. It can be done intelligently, as bands like Slayer and Angel Witch and Morbid Angel proves, and it's not that different from the weird esotericism of romantic poets like Wordsworth, Keats, Coleridge, Milton, Blake and Nelly. Notdveidt got into a really stupid version of LaVeyian Satanism, which like Christianity and Scientology makes people feel falsely like elitists for having found the most self-serving philosophy ever. We don't know exactly why he offed himself, or whether he used the Satanism as an excuse to check out of a dying world, a failing species and a boring, small-minded society.

If you talk about it too much, you become a fanboy and your testicles fall off.

April 16, 2007, 12:32:45 AM

Notdveidt got into a really stupid version of LaVeyian Satanism, which like Christianity and Scientology makes people feel falsely like elitists for having found the most self-serving philosophy ever.

DISSECTION guitarist Set Teitan reportedly wrote: "This also [has] to be cleared up before it becomes another rumor, as [journalists], of course, invent things in their ignorance: It's not any atheist, humanist and ego-worshipping 'Satanic Bible' by Anton LaVey that Jon had in front of him, but a Satanic Grimoire. He despised LaVey and 'Church of Satan'."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=56947

April 16, 2007, 12:45:25 PM
Great. Well, I stand corrected, unless this 'Satanic Grimoire' is the same shit from a different source. There's not much diversity among satanists...

Iconoclast

April 16, 2007, 03:25:57 PM
Grimoire?  Wow!  That even has the word "grim" in it!

April 18, 2007, 02:09:10 PM
Grimoire?  Wow!  That even has the word "grim" in it!

AIDS: Grim prospects

January 12, 2008, 02:25:16 PM
I came across this forum while looking for the straight information regarding Nodtveidt's suicide. Looks like I found it.

A couple of buddies turned me on to Dissection, At The Gates, Amorphis, Death, Hypocrisy and Morbid Angel in '96. Up 'til then, I thought I knew some metal but was actually woefully mainstream. Slayer, Megadeth, old Queensryche, Dio, Maiden, Priest, that sort of thing. I still listen to Slayer, Maiden, Priest and the old 'Ryche, but that summer was a real eye (ear) opener and Jon Nodtveidt was a big part of it. I was bummed to hear he decided to discorporate.

By the time Reinkaos came out, I was into (or getting into) a whole bunch of different bands and the album got a lot of negative reviews, so I delayed acquiring it until a couple of days ago.

What's funny is that the negative reviews were written, as far as I can guess, mainly by black metal fans. The impression I got was that the new album was a poor example of black metal. In the 11 years between Dissection albums, I'd primarily turned into a melodic death fan. So I wasn't about to take a chance on a black metal album that black metal folks didn't like.

As as result, it was a welcome surprise to find that the black metal fans didn't like Reinkaos not because it was bad black metal but because it wasn't black metal at all. It's one of the best melodic death albums I've ever heard. I fucking love it.

So, I'm a little bummed still that Jon's dead. I'd have liked a few more albums from him in this vein, but it's not like there aren't about 8 billion other bands out there to choose from (like Sacramentum, who I'd better give a listen to).

As to his philosophy? I've seen 'em all, so the Misanthropic Luciferian Order and the "anti-cosmic Satanic metal of death" don't really seem any better or worse than any other attempt to make sense of the infinite with finite minds. If he wants chaos, then may he find it.

chrstphrbnntt

January 12, 2008, 04:51:02 PM
I'd have liked a few more albums from him in this vein, but it's not like there aren't about 8 billion other bands out there to choose from (like Sacramentum, who I'd better give a listen to).

It'd also be a good idea to check out VINTERLAND - Welcome To My Last Chapter and HAIL - Inheritance of Evilness. Former is Somberlain quality, latter is a bit scatterbrained but still worth investigating.

Also, as far as melodic death metal goes, have you heard INTESTINE BAALISM? Good stuff from Japan. THE FUNERAL PYRE are also pretty good, with more of a black metal influence.

January 13, 2008, 04:05:27 AM
I was bummed to hear he decided to discorporate.

Stranger in a Strange Land reader, I greet you.

I think it's profound to note that later Dissection was melodic heavy metal with death metal influences, not the heavy metal with black metal influences that Somberlain was. They've always been Iron Maiden with later Judas Priest in them to me, oh and a bit of black metal, maybe Varathron styled.

You have heard Varathron? Their first album is similar, but less pretty. I'm sure someone else already recommended Sacramentum and At the Gates, maybe Eucharist and early Dark Funeral. I'd add the first Dismember album. HTH

shadowmystic

January 17, 2008, 03:34:26 AM
Any philosophy that promotes the destruction of the cosmos as its primary ideology certainly has delusions of grandeur.  How exactly do they propose to achieve this?