Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Growing out of Metal?

Re: Growing out of Metal?
August 08, 2005, 04:06:25 PM
I'm 16 years old, I've been into black metal for around a year and a half. When i first discovered it i thought it to be a wierd and wonderful world, a world that i wanted to be a part of. But as i learn more i find that the present day black metal is in tatters, and a joke.

Metal is rebellion against the system ext. But people often cofuse the system with people over a certain age, people with jobs, careers and families. Fans of the first wave of black metal will have reached this age by now. But they don't have to think themselves grown out of what they used to believe in.

People need freedom, freedom from the opions of others, even the opions of themselves, only then can they discover what they beleive in.

August 11, 2005, 10:29:07 PM
I think people will change when they grow old and become more mature. However,  it doesn't mean that their mentality should also become stagnant. Metal's unrelenting, rebelliousness is still attractive to some aged people(if I could say so). In my eyes, it's still the lifestyle and the attitute toward life that decides so called metal heads though~    

August 15, 2005, 12:07:10 PM
What is rock n roll when compared to Metal?
A laughing stock!
Metal is a bridge between degenerate egalitarian hippy and kult Narrow Squirting Bowel Movement.
Don't think of Metal as a goal. Think of Metal as a bridge. Metal is a thing that is to be surpassed.
I teach you the Uber Krieg Metalhead.

August 15, 2005, 08:54:08 PM
What is rock n roll when compared to Metal?
A laughing stock!
Metal is a bridge between degenerate egalitarian hippy and kult Narrow Squirting Bowel Movement.
Don't think of Metal as a goal. Think of Metal as a bridge. Metal is a thing that is to be surpassed.
I teach you the Uber Krieg Metalhead.

haha. Oh, man, I can just see that uber kvlt necro grim Narrow Squirting Bowel Movement in the distance... I'm almost there. Just a little more sublimation and I'll start getting it.

August 24, 2005, 01:59:19 AM
Post-1995 black metal is as distinct as pre-1995, in that the "After" picture contains 3-5 good bands and the rest are shit.

Narrow Squirting Bowel Movement arose almost entirely post-1995, and I see no point remembering it. Early Absurd is great, so is Graveland, so is Burzum, so is Darkthrone, but I'm never going to give a shit about soundalike Narrow Squirting Bowel Movement from America and Russia. What is this, a cold war redux? "We're sorry we hated on Germany?"

August 27, 2005, 12:36:16 PM
i started listening to rock music in the mid 70"s ,bands like The Sweet,Black Sabbath,AC/DC..and later during the 80's it started to get louder and faster,,,i went trough al the changes and love(d) every minute of it.
I think when you grow older your priorities just change,,back in the days Metal was my nr1 priority,now in my mid 30's i have to worry about more than the New release of iron Maiden or death,or whatever,,, i lost my hair long time ago and I have a high position in a big company with lots of meetings and stuff,but when i come home,i put on some Motorhead,Sodom,Destruction or anything with guitars,double bass and growling vocals,and can't get enough of it,and i never get tired of hearing the same songs o.f 20 years ago
Maybe its some kind of re-living the past,but i can't imagine life without Metal,and with my first child coming end of November,i hope to pass on the metal torch to my doughter and keep the metal blood pumping,(my wife would'nt be too happy about that,but fuck it),,,

August 28, 2005, 06:04:32 AM
At some point you just get tired of it. Rock music is all about what's new, everyone's young and  inexperienced, ripoffs everywhere. When you've been around for awhile you really don't care what's new, you just want to listen to something good, so you put on old stuff or get into classical unless you're a FAG then you buy jazz

September 22, 2005, 06:17:28 AM
im 15 and have been into metal for a year and a half. I was watching C4 (New Zealand Music Channel) and i saw a video for slipknot, and since i had only been exposed to pink floyd and the like i went "HOLY FUCKING SHIT, THATS AWESOME". i was blown away, i went to school the next day and asked one of my friends about it. And it just so happend he had herd of them, so i listend to the likes of slipknot, korn and some mushroomhead.
i thought you couldnt make music heavier if you tried.

Then i found it 8FOOTSATIVA greatest New Zealand metal band ever. Needless to say i was speechless and even now they stand up to every and any other death/black metal band ever.
dont belive me, http://www.8footsativa.com/ go there, go into music then discovery. hate made me there first one was dark and dirty, season for assult was much more refined without becoming less heavy and breed the pain, just awesome.
because of them i will never, never go off metal in the least, you would have to force me to

September 22, 2005, 07:18:18 AM
im 15 and have been into metal for a year and a half. I was watching C4 (New Zealand Music Channel) and i saw a video for slipknot, and since i had only been exposed to pink floyd and the like i went "HOLY FUCKING SHIT, THATS AWESOME". i was blown away, i went to school the next day and asked one of my friends about it. And it just so happend he had herd of them, so i listend to the likes of slipknot, korn and some mushroomhead.
i thought you couldnt make music heavier if you tried.

Then i found it 8FOOTSATIVA greatest New Zealand metal band ever. Needless to say i was speechless and even now they stand up to every and any other death/black metal band ever.
dont belive me, http://www.8footsativa.com/ go there, go into music then discovery. hate made me there first one was dark and dirty, season for assult was much more refined without becoming less heavy and breed the pain, just awesome.
because of them i will never, never go off metal in the least, you would have to force me to

Thankyou for your critically important contribution. If you'd like some other recommendations, try: www.anus.com/metal

September 22, 2005, 02:38:44 PM
I have listened to Metal (as well as neo-classical shred and Baroque Classical music) for most of my life. I'm in my late thirties now.  
I'll never stop listening to the type of music that I love. Why would I? That would be self-hate. Another example of self hate would be to shit all over something you once loved. Nietzsche wrote how one devalues one's life when being contemptuous toward one's past.

September 23, 2005, 05:11:21 AM

Thankyou for your critically important contribution. If you'd like some other recommendations, try: www.anus.com/metal

Could you tell me what you think of them. i mean i see them as the greatest metal band in the worldbut i havnt heard to much metal, so i need real feedback

December 26, 2005, 03:28:15 AM
I see most people grow out of metal because the amateurish nature and simplicity of youth culture is no longer relevant. They no longer have 10-12 hours a week in which music is important.

And really, isn't youth culture embarrassing? All these people pandering to your tastes so they can make money. A whole lot of hype around music, so much that life in a larger sense is forgotten. As with television.

The best metal, one never grows out of... but it's fewer albums rather than more. Maybe 15 total.

September 23, 2006, 11:00:39 AM
As you grow older, you begin to focus less on the deconstruction of old values, and more on the construction of new values.

Metal has never solidified itself into a movement. Anytime it threatens to, someone uses it as a way to make their own career go ahead by oversimplifying metal. "Metal's about fun and rebellion!" After Burzum, comes Arch Enemy.

For this reason, it doesn't have much to do with older people.

September 24, 2006, 03:07:57 PM
"will Immolation hold the same appeal in fifty years time, "

Absolutely not. The appeal will be layer upon layer of grandiose nostalgia.

September 24, 2006, 04:35:44 PM
I'll be listening to Immolation in fifty years, but no one will be listening to Leviathan in fifty years.